Camper Van essentials

Search

Camper Van essentials

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2023, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camper Van essentials

We will be traveling in August until south Spain and I am wondering what you can do, if it's too hot.
Would you suggest a ventilator?
What else can you suggest to take with us to make the whole camper van experience better?
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 02:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought you were traveling from Brussels to Italy with a camper van you rented in Brussels?? Not IF its too hot -- southern Spain will definitely be HOT.
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
August will be very hot and very busy. That's the main month that many Europeans take for their annual holiday. A fan in a campervan will circulate the hot air, it won't necessarily make it cooler. If there is no airconditioner, best bet is to open all the windows for a flow-through breeze. If it was me, I'd either go at a different time or hire a car and stay in accommodation along the way.
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
I thought you were traveling from Brussels to Italy with a camper van you rented in Brussels?? Not IF its too hot -- southern Spain will definitely be HOT.
I am still looking at all the options. Spain is not far from Italy, so I am thinking about it.
I will rent the camper van in Brussels and deliver it either in italy or Spain.
I am just making thoughts about the heat...
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 03:41 AM

I have spent a lot of time here and there in campervans, both in winter and summer. I have also spent a year living in southern Spain.

You will definitely need a van with efficient air conditioning. No air-con, or inefficient air-con will make for a very unpleasant time. 40-50c in what is effectively a tin box will be very, very hot. Opening windows will make very little difference. Keep animals in that sort of environment and you would be prosecuted for cruelty.

If you do find a van that has good airconditioning , then you will likely need to stay at commercial campsites to hook uptown power to avoid running down the batteries.
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
I have spent a lot of time here and there in campervans, both in winter and summer. I have also spent a year living in southern Spain.

You will definitely need a van with efficient air conditioning. No air-con, or inefficient air-con will make for a very unpleasant time. 40-50c in what is effectively a tin box will be very, very hot. Opening windows will make very little difference. Keep animals in that sort of environment and you would be prosecuted for cruelty.

If you do find a van that has good airconditioning , then you will likely need to stay at commercial campsites to hook uptown power to avoid running down the batteries.
Thanks for the information. I will probably reconsider the plan...
Probably we will stay in Germany - France - Switzerland
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 10:24 AM

You are welcome.

FWIW The best times we have had in a campervan have been in New Zealand in winter. In the Australian summer, it was great but the heat was a big issue, even with aircon. Here is a link to our blog of a small part of our time in NZ. https://accidentalnomads.com/category/new-zealand/ In the last post, "A NZ Diversion" I did write something about what could make life a bit easier in a van. I did also write an article for a travel magazine on the joys of camper van travel but can’t find it anywhere. If you take a look at the websites of some of teh New Zealand campervan providers like Maui or Wilderness ( it is a way of life down there) I am sur enough will find lots of useful info.
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Which weather is more suitable for a camper van road trip

Originally Posted by crellston
You are welcome.

FWIW The best times we have had in a campervan have been in New Zealand in winter. In the Australian summer, it was great but the heat was a big issue, even with aircon. Here is a link to our blog of a small part of our time in NZ. In the last post, "A NZ Diversion" I did write something about what could make life a bit easier in a van. I did also write an article for a travel magazine on the joys of camper van travel but can’t find it anywhere. If you take a look at the websites of some of teh New Zealand campervan providers like Maui or Wilderness ( it is a way of life down there) I am sur enough will find lots of useful info.
I read some of your articles on your website 👍👍👍
Respect!
I though I have traveled a lot (I have been to all continents at least once&#128522 but can't compare to your league.
I will be doing this camper van road trip with my daughter and I want it to be a fascinating experience. I have about 2-3 weeks in August.
I even considered traveling to Australia, but I was thinking that it might be too cold for staying in a camper van.
Although you mentioned that winter time is better for a camper van road trip, what would you suggest?
Hot weather in Europe or cold weather in Australia🤔?
Or somewhere different?

Last edited by fantasticgamer241382; Nov 22nd, 2023 at 07:25 PM.
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 08:57 PM

The reason to take a camper to Spain during the summer is if you're hitting some of the more remote beaches. If you're doing anything else it doesn't really make sense IMHO. A camper will be a serious issue in any of the touristy cities.
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 09:22 PM

I think Germany, France and Switzerland is a much better plan.
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 10:01 PM

Australia is a big country with widely varying and sometimes extreme, weather patterns. August is winter in the southern hemisphere and it will be cold in the south but further north it is in the tropics. We have family there so visit fairly regularly and at different time of the year. Last year I did consider Tasman in a camper van but found the rental rates to be horrendously expensive. Heading that way at that time it would be NZ for me even though the weather will be cold and sometimes wet. It is the camper van capital of the world and so well geared up for camper vans.

Having said that, it is a very long way to go for 2-3 weeks (I would not even consider it for 2 weeks). In Europe, Switzerland and Austria would appeal as the scenery is similar to that in NZ. Love Italy but IME it would be v hot in many parts in August. I would also consider the USA and Canada where camper vans or "RVs" seem to be a big thing. Some pretty amazing drive route over there.

Old Nov 23rd, 2023, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the information.
I spent time thinking about the options and decided to drop south Europe. The heat factor is a serious issue.
I am glad that I got this information from you guys and avoided such a mistake.
Australia and Canada sound interesting definitely, but the trip to get there is long....
I will head to north Europe instead.
I would like to go from Germany to Sweden and Norway. I see on the map, that it's possible to drive without using any ferries, but I would like to hear it from someone who drove the route and could give me some information about it.
​​​​​​​
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a point about Australia that might help - it is a huge country which means the weather in the far north will be quite different from the southern states. It's a bit like comparing New York weather to Florida weather. Or maybe Scotland and Spain. So if you plan to visit in August and hire a campervan (which is quite popular) stick to the northern areas for good weather.
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 03:08 PM

Yes, in parts of Queensland you will get temperatures in the 20s in July and August, very comfortable for travelling in. You could fly into Cairns and start from there.

Lavandula