Reload this Page >

Campbeltown- has anyone stayed there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 09:13 PM
nickie

I'm organizing a trip to Great Britain for myself, and am finding very little information on the Kintyre peninsula, even on their website. Has anyone stayed there, or is familiar with the area? Is the scenery wonderful - or not? Interesting historic sights? Good restaurant in Campbeltown? Or is there a very good reason that this is not on the tourist trail?

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 11:38 PM
Sheila

The main reason Campbeltown is not on the tourist trail is because it's 50 miles from anywhere; that is, you can drie down the Mull and then you can drive back. I haven't been there since I was 12 or so (over 30 years)but the area is very pretty ( there are some that are more stunning but Kintyre is nice enough). the ferry terminal for Islay which is one of my favourie places is about 12 miles down and I go that far often. <BR> <BR>Campbeltown is not one of the world's architectural gems but it does have a lovely setting. I suspect from my reading that there is not a restaurant worthy of the name. There's not much history listed- you have the geograaphic history of the Clearances, the distillery and a museum. But you can go to Machrihanish, Carradale, or visit Gigha or Davaar island. We once had an idyllic weekend at Bellochuntuy- but I was only 12!!

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 08:17 AM
frank

Only been down the peninsula a bit farther than Tarbert(Loch Fyne), not all the way to Campbelltown.I have heard that it is quiet, not much employment.It is sited just above the Mull of Kintyre, where Paul McCarney lived (hence the song) - I think he still does. <BR> <BR>The area is pretty, though no more so than the places you have to go through get to it, which makes for a scenic journey.It is not favoured by tourists because you have to "double back", and being in a large area of outstanding natural beauty there are other routes which allow people to see more places. <BR> The ferries do give it an advantage. <BR>I remember cycling through the Ellerey estate a number of years ago. <BR>Tarbert, the busiest place on the peninsula, is a busy sailing port, lots of hotels & restaurants, quite jolly. <BR>From Tarbert you can take the ferry to Portavadie, or from further south to Islay (for whisky fans) or further again to Gigha (very small island, charming, has an inn.)or to Arran (big island, worth a visit), so these are all within striking distance of Campbelltown. <BR>There was a ferry to N.Ireland from Campelltown, but I think it was discontinued recently.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 10:39 AM
nickie

Thank you Sheila and Frank. I've been considering renting Saddell castle for a week through the National Trust, and Campbeltown is the closest town to it. Restaurant is not all important, but great scenery is. Would you consider the scenery far superior around Wester Ross? I know - the eye of the beholder, and all that, but generally what is considered stunning, is. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 10:51 AM
Sheila

Now, you see, Nickie, Wester Ross is a big area. It includes the whole of Applecross, and the whole of Torridon, the area round Poolewe, Loch Maree, Glen Cannich and Plockton, the Kyles of Skye and.... <BR> <BR>Oh forget it, Kintyre is lovely, but Wester Ross is a knockout! Yes, Frank?

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 10:59 AM
nickie

Sorry Sheila, didn't mean to be vague. I was referring to Torridon. But I was hoping you would mention especially pretty places in Wester Ross, LOL, in case there were even prettier places to stay.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 06:48 AM
frank

Wester Ross is prettier, especially Plockton & Applecross (view across to Skye), plus you can nip over to the Isle of Skye (now bridged to the mainland)where you can find more history (Dunvegan castle, clan Donald centre) & beauty & possibly more of interest & a wide variety of places to stay. <BR>Torridon is OK but I prefer nearby Sheildaig. <BR>The road from Ft.William to Wester Ross & Skye ("road to the isles") <BR>is also spectacular, at one point goes over the mountains. <BR>Note - most of Wester Ross is very quiet, Skye is a bit more lively in places. <BR>Also note that it's most famous mountain (the Black Cuillin) is now for sale to pay for repairs to Dunvegan Castle, seat of the clan McLeod. <BR> Their knitwear is probably a better deal, though.(good place to buy quality hand knits, craft shop at NW corner of Skye.)

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 08:53 AM
Sheila

Nickie <BR> <BR>Given Frank's response you will see that we are into who prefers what. <BR> <BR>For myself, I prefer the north- the area around Torridon or Poolewe or Mellon Udrigle. Not to say that I don't like Plockton and area, and it's probably bettr for access to a wider range of othre places, but...

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 10:50 AM
nickie

Thanks again Frank and Sheila. How lucky we Fodorites are to have people like yourselves, who take the time to answer questions about details you just can't find in the guidebooks!

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 11:12 AM
Sheila

<BR> <BR>Ceud Mile Failte <BR> <BR>(A Hundred Thousand Wecomes)

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 12:00 PM
Sheila

Or even Welcomes!

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 09:46 PM
nickie

Sheila, don't mean to be a pest, but I just reread your posting - I've never heard of Davaar Island. What is that like? Oh, and is there a Treshnish Island?

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 11:38 PM
Sheila

Davaar is a small island offshore from campbelltown. Never been there. The books say there is a cave with a painting of the crucifixion. It's reached by a tidal causeway. <BR> <BR>There is more than one Treshnish island. They lie between Mull and Tiree. The largest are The Dutchman's cap and Lunga. They were recently sold to a wildlife Trust. There are boat trips from Oban and Mull. <BR> <BR>Next?

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 04:28 AM
frank

You'll see the Treshnish islands if you get the boat from Oban to Tiree or Coll. <BR>Oban is a good place to explore the small islands from.