Cameras

Old Jun 12th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cameras

I recently read someone's posting about camera choices, SLR vs point and shoot, including info on Panasonic Lumix. Now I don't know under what country I read it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Could someone point me in the right direction? I have a friend looking for a new camera. Thanks, Debbie
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 12:07 PM

what it this one?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...era-or-not.cfm
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 12:23 PM

I have a thread in the Lounge from a few months ago (recently updated) about my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000, which I first tested at home then took to Europe last month instead of my DSLR:

http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...dmc-fz1000.cfm

The Lounge is closed to people who have joined Fodor's in the last few years, so you can't even read this thread if you are too new (and you must also be logged in to Fodor's).

I was quite happy with this camera on my trip.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Christina. This could have been one of the articles. But I also think there were pictures included from the various cameras.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 12:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe you read it on another website -- because it isn't possible to post photos on Fodors forums.

Here is another recent thread about cameras

http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...-by-rx100-.cfm
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might check dpreview.com for comparisons and reviews of various cameras with photos included.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Andrew. It is indeed the article I was referring to!
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 04:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
This doesn't answer the exact question but I'll wade in anyway.
I'm a long time amateur photographer.

I use a Canon DSLR camera. If one make was better than all the rest, all of the others would go out of business.

I have two lenses but depending upon the type of trip I take both or just one. If the trip involves wild life (bears, deer, etc) I take with the 100-400mm lens.

The lens I do use is a 15-85mm excellent quality lens. For those who are not familiar with photo lingo the 15 is the wide end and the 85 is the long end. This lens can best be described as moderately wide and moderately long. An excellent compromise.

In my opinion, when going on most European trips, what you really want is a slightly wide lens and not a long telephoto lens.

When many people return from a trip and are disappointed with their photos it's usually because they aren't wide enough. The reason for that is that you see sites with your eyes that give you a wide angled view. Most cameras don't match that.

A DSLR camera is always going to be heavier than a P&S camera. But I can do more with my DSLR than most can do with their P&S. I don't use a flash because of the glare results. I can take pictures indoors and outside at night. Etc.

The above should give you a decent overview of travel photography.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 05:26 PM

Myer, feel free to read my thread above about my Lumix DMC-FZ1000. It's a "bridge" camera between a Point-and-Shoot and a DSLR. After using various Canon DSLRs for 16 years - and carrying them plus lenses to Europe for several trips - I do not regret replacing them with the Lumix at all. It was a joy to be able to travel so lightly and still get great pictures.

Technology changes, and DSLRs are no longer the only way to get great pictures. And let's face it: only avid photographers really want to drag a big heavy camera and several lenses on vacation. I did for years but won't need to any longer.

FYI, your 15-85mm zoom lens is an EF-S mount lens. It's designed for "crop sensor" cameras, meaning it won't work on my full-frame Canon 5D Mark II. Your Canon DSLR doesn't "see" all of the lens - it has an artificial zoom or "crop" of probably 1.6. That means a 15mm lens is effectively 24m (15 x 1.6), which is about as wide as the 25mm (effective) zoom-out of my Lumix. So you're not really getting much wider with your Canon DSLR than I am with my Lumix

I have a 17-40mm wide angle zoom for my Canon which gets you REALLY wide - much wider with my full-frame canon than your 15mm would be (imagine if you had a 10.6mm wide angle lens for your Canon.) I missed that a few times on my recent trip but not often enough to regret not taking the Canon DSLR and my gear to Europe. I DON'T miss lugging a heavy camera bag around and having to change lenses each time I want to zoom in on something.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
debbielynn, may I hijack your thread for a minute or 10?

I am no expert, not even an enthusiast. I use an old (needs to be replaced) entry-level Pentax DSLR, and like the images I get from it, although I only shoot manual, so for anything really quick--except wildlife-- I always end up using my phone. I don't like needing to switch lenses so frequently; doing that, in the dust of the savannahs of Kenya, is how my camera got dirty. Really dirty.

I'd love to go with a mirrorless lens camera, but right now most of them are out of my price range.

I prefer images that are tic-tac sharp. Any thoughts/recommendations?
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 08:04 PM

I can recommend Lumix DMC-FZ1000 - except that it's getting to be an old camera. It was introduced three years ago. On the other hand, the price has come down because the newer model is out and costs quite a bit more. I bought a "used" one from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $585 (about $100 off a new) - only a 90 day warranty and a 30 day return policy, but it looked like a brand new camera, and only 135 pictures had been shot on it.

You can read more about the camera and other people's thoughts and their camera suggestions, on the thread I linked to above:

http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...dmc-fz1000.cfm
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 01:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Andrew, I never wrote that your camera wouldn't serve your needs. You describe your camera as a bridge camera. If it works for you then fine.

You seem to be knocking crop cameras. I'm not sure why.

What's most important is knowing what you want, knowing what you have and being able to get the most out of it.

Your Canon 5D is most likely a fair amount heavier than my camera but I've seen people walking around with those and no grimaces due to the weight. It's a matter of what you're used to.

Most consumer lenses have a sweet spot that is fairly narrow. What that means is that the long end and wide end are not as sharp as the middle of the zoom range. Also, quality (sharpness and color rendition) drop off noticeably when the lens is wide open to allow more light in.

That's why many reviews of consumer lenses will tell you to try and use a specific lens around f8 and not wide open.

I'm not concerned with using my lenses at any point of their range. They are sharp throughout the range.

It's quite common for novices to look at their travel photos and write off all the blurred photos as being caused by not holding the camera steady enough. That may be the case. But it may also be the lens.

Don't buy a new camera a couple of days before going on a trip. Leave enough time to learn how to use it properly so that you'll be reasonably satisfied with the results.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 02:10 AM

Leely - you might consider looking at second hand mirrorless compacts - they are more affordeable. There will be a ton on Ebay and probably with a variety of lenses and other accessories to suit your needs. I have the Olympus PEN E-P5 and use it with a 17mm pancake lens. There are other models from this brand (both older and newer) that are even smaller and lighter if that is a priority.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 08:37 AM

Myer: You seem to be knocking crop cameras. I'm not sure why.

I am not knocking crop cameras. I merely pointed out that your 15mm-85mm lens is really equivalent to 24mm-136mm when the 1.6X crop is taken into account. You said that most people looking at their vacation pictures later are disappointed that they couldn't get wide enough; I was merely pointed out that you don't need a DSLR to get those wide shots and that your lens isn't much wider than the others. Even my old Canon point and shoot zooms out to the equivalent of 24mm.

I'm sure lots of people, as you rightly point out, are disappointed in their vacation pictures later, but they don't need a DSLR to get better pictures. If you are happy with your DSLR pictures, that's great. I will be happy to leave mine at home from now on when traveling overseas.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 08:53 AM

Maybe something like this will pan out, get true DLSR quality in a compact form factor:

https://light.co/camera
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Most cameras work well under normal lighting conditions, even the cheap point and shoot, but what makes a camera work well in low light conditions is the image sensor size and quality of the lens. Mega Pixel size has far less to do with image quality then sensor size, and generally, the smaller the sensor, the worse it performs under all lighting conditions.

The effective angle of view on a Nikon lens is 1.5x lens focal length (in DX format). The Canon T6i Digital SLR is 1.6x lens focal lenght (because of the slightly smaller sensor size). The Panasonic Lumix and Olympus PEN E-P5 has a smaller sensor (4/3) with a multiplyer of 2.0x lens focal length, so the 15mm-85mm lens would by be the equilvant of at 30mm-170mm lens.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 10:52 AM

I think a lot of people would improve their travel pics more by learning about composition rather than upgrading or changing their camera.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 11:39 AM

I think a lot of people would improve their travel pics more by learning about composition rather than upgrading or changing their camera.

Jamikins is absolutely right.

I have a Canon DSLR, and also an older Canon Powershot S95. Both take excellent pictures. When we go to our summer home, where we relax and take long walks in the beautiful Upper Potenza river valley (can't resist the plug) I usually take along the DSLR. On any given day I use one or another lens.

When going on the typical holiday, I take the Powershot, which does quite well in low light. My Sony Xperia phone also takes some great photos, for that matter. It has one of the better phone cameras.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 11:42 AM

Heck, even the iPhone takes great quality pics these days!
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 11:58 AM

I still print and enlarge my pictures, unlike many people. I care about more than how they look on Facebook - I also care how they look when printed at 20"x30". I'm sure the expensive iPhones do take great pictures - but they cost more than my Lumix cost me, most likely...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -