Reload this Page >

Camera - zoom/wide angle question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Me

<BR>I recently read the helpful thread about cameras and was impressed by the many recommendations for the Olympus Stylus Zoom. I've gone to some of the on-line camera sites that were mentioned and now I have a question. Does anyone have experience with the Stylus Models that offer both zoom and wide angle? In your oinion, is it worth having both?? Also, can date imprinting be turned off on all cameras that offer it? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help!

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 02:14 PM
traveler

Yes, I think it's worth having both. The zoom is great for close-ups and the wide angle is good for scenic vistas/landscape shots. Plus when you're traveling the zoom can double as a binocular if you want to see something far away. The date imprinting can be turned off on the Olympus Stylus Zoom as I've done it myself (I have the 38-80 zoom); it's fairly easy.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 05:37 PM
tom

calling "38mm" focal length a "wide angle" is pushing the ordinary meaning of the term. <BR> <BR>I really do think a 38mm focal length is marginal for much of travel photography...a 28mm is really the beginning of "true" wide angle...unfortunately only a few P&S extend to the 28-30mm range, but IMHO it's a key selection criteria. <BR> <BR>(I recently got a 17-35mm lens for my SLR, it's going to get a LOT of use in the next few months.)

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 12:03 PM
dan woodlief

As Tom said, 38mm is on the edge of wide. I used a 38-115 on many trips. I found it to be adequate for most subjects, but you can't get that dramatic look you get from a real wide angle of 28mm down. It should do you for most subjects, but if you can, get a 28 and up lens. There isn't much space in cities especially. Are you using a Canon, Tom? If you get tired of that 17-35 (I doubt it), I might make you a good offer. It is at the top of my wish list right now.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 02:36 PM
Me

Thanks to all - this has been very helpful. <BR> <BR>It's probably pretty obvious that I'm a camera novice, but I love having photos to help me re-live vacations over and over agin!

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 03:34 PM
chris

Hello Me, ( I like that) (anyway) <BR> <BR>You think you are a novice, I had to look up what SLR meant. I use a point and shoot. I would like the wider detailed pics, but I may have to go to an SLR to get it.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 07:01 PM
tom

<BR>Dan - you're correct that I'm in no way "tired" of the Nikon 17-35! Have used it only a little so far, but's it's an exciting focal range with a lot of possibilities. <BR> <BR>you're probably already aware of it, but Canon's non-"L" series, 20-35mm is a fine lens that gives up only a little on the extreme wide angle (also is variable aperture, but wide open f2.8 doesn't get used very often, anyway). It can be had for around $400-420 from reputable mail order (B& H, Adorama, etc). A friend has one & likes it. <BR> <BR>Getting back on topic ...this last weekend I was in Monterey/Carmel CA area, & borrowed my son's Pentax 928 (28-90mm) P&S camera (since my "significant other" would've mutinied had I played with the new 17-35 lens all weekend). <BR> <BR>Most of the time I was favoring the shorter focal lengths (under 50mm), with a significant fraction down near 28mm. <BR> <BR>This is also my beef with camcorders...they all need a wide angle adapter to get much below 40-ish mm equivalent.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 08:47 PM
Evendumber

Chris - So what IS an SLR? I don't even know where to look it up.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 10:14 PM
tom

<BR>SLR = Single Lens Reflex. <BR> <BR>generic term for cameras having these features: <BR> <BR>* interchangeable lenses, typically spanning from extreme wide angle to telephoto & everything in between. <BR>* viewfinding is thru the lens (with a system of prisms & flip up mirrors) ...what you see is what you get <BR>* high degree of control over focus, exposure, & flash is possible, if one wants to override "auto everything". <BR>* optics & image quality usually better than P&S <BR>* almost always uses 35mm film (some APS film SLRs becoming available, but not common). <BR> <BR>downsides (relative to "point & shoot" cameras): <BR> <BR>* higher cost <BR>* more bulk & weight...forget about slipping into your pocket

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 07:06 AM
David

I know I'm getting off the topic (sorry to who originally started this thread), but it's obvious there are some good camera people posting here, so let me ask: I have a Nikon F3. Is it possible to use an autofous lens on this camera. If not, where is a good site I can go to find prices on lens for it. Right now the only lens I have is a Tokina 38 - 200mm, which is a good lens, but I'd like a wide-angle zoom, something like a 28 -80mm. Thanks all.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 11:14 AM
dan woodlief

David, for new lenses try www.bhphotovideo.com. Great prices and dependable. Excellent reputation among photographers. For used lenses, Ebay is one possibility, but if you want somewhere probably more dependable try "photo.net" and click on classifieds. About 10-15 items get posted there daily. I have bought a couple of lenses through this site. Photo.net has a "neighbor to neighbor" section where you can find positive and negative feedback on photo stores, as well as individuals who have sold items on the site. One stated bonus of Nikons over Canons is that you can use old lenses with new cameras. However, as a Canon user, I don't know if this goes the other way (new lenses with older camera). I bet you can find the answer in no time by using the Q&A Search function on photo.net.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 11:17 AM
tom

the F3 is a fine, manual focus body. you can use all current Nikon-compatible autofocus lenses on it, but they will NOT autofocus on the manual F3 body. <BR> <BR>good, reputable, reliable mail order/ internet retailers are: <BR> <BR>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ <BR>http://www.adoramaphoto.com/ <BR>http://www.cameraworld.com/ <BR> <BR>the 2 NYC outfits also offer "gray market" equipment in addition to U.S. equipment; I personally would stay away from gray market because Nikon will not honor that warranty in the US, even though gray market stuff is brand-new. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 11:38 AM
tom

<BR>PS - <BR> <BR>to be REALLY sure of lens compatibility with the F3, best to contact the Lens manufacturer directly (Nikon is 1-310- 516-7124). <BR> <BR>also, new July issue of Popular Photography magazine has a "buyers guide comparison" of all current zoom lenses.