Calw or Esslingen?

Search

Calw or Esslingen?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calw or Esslingen?

Driving down to the southern Black Forest from Colonge and wondering if my husband and I should spend a night at either Calw or Esslingen (famous for their sparkling wine). Both towns fit seem to fit our bill for being quaint, small and historic but don't know much more about them. Any recommendations out there?

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:13 PM

topping for NancyAnn....and me too. >-
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:43 AM

Hi nancy Ann!

I don't know that Esslingen is all that quaint etc being so close to a major city as it is.

I wasn't so impressed with Calw either the day I drove through there many years ago. From Calw it is not very much further to places more in line with your criteria such as Herrenberg (21km to the SE) and Wildberg (only around 12km due south. I'm sure you will find sparkling wine in the pubs there too.

Harzer
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:45 AM

hi there,
first, of course, is: Calw is a part of the Black Forest. Esslingen is a little out, took about one hour (by car) to reach Pforzheim.

Calw is not that big, half an hour by walking and You have seen most things. Nice is a little sidestep to the monastier ruins of Hirsau. Take a look here: www.calw.de/
also in english

Esslingen is the biggest town not to be destroyed in WWII. So there are a lot of nice old houses (the marketplace is great), also the old citywalls, the church St. Dyonis, and the castle. The sparking wine (Kessler, the oldest in Germany, doing methode champagnaise) is a good one, not too dry, but perfect to asparagus or fish (try Jaegergruen if You can get, or Hochgewaechs). The best on this would be a tour trough the caves, but this is seldom done.

Take a look here: http://www.esslingen.de
but no english

Other rec. that are on Your route: Karlsruhe. Not that old, but charming with its parcs and castles.

Or Tuebingen, also very nice, not too far to reach the teh Black Forest, nice things to look at (Bebenhausen, castle ...)

Ask if You need more infos

have fun
Gar
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:02 AM

Been to Esslingen, and as described above it is pretty, with nice buildings and quaint squares. Had a nice walk up to the castle (or was it the remnants of the city walls?). In any case, it should good for an overnight stop. Haven't been to Calw!