Calling Jamikins

Mar 11th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Calling Jamikins

Hi Jamikins,

You've helped me out in the past with your ideas and trip reports on both Tuscany and Rome. I have some more detailed questions - beginning with -- what kind of camera do you have? Your photos are great!
Mar 12th, 2014, 12:02 AM

Hi jujubean! Thank you so much for your compliments

My camera is a Nikon D5200. To be honest I think the easiest way to improve your photos is to learn about composition...the rule of thirds is key. I think you can easily google it and get the gist of it and your photos will be transformed no matter what camera you use.

Other tips - wait for people to move out of the way (can be annoying!) and always look at what is in the background before taking the shot. Also, something I always forget, move your feet! If the angle isn't right just move...so simple but so easy to forget!

I hope this helps but let me know if I can help with anything else!!
Mar 12th, 2014, 12:06 AM

One more - if you invest in a SLR camera be sure you take a course on how to use all the functions! Otherwise it is just a big expensive point and shoot! Learn how to shoot on manual so you can control the shots you take!

Hope this helps!
Mar 12th, 2014, 12:23 AM

I hope you don't mind me chiming in but in addition to reading your camera's manual, and going out and practicing, I highly recommend buying Brian Peterson's excellent book Understanding Exposure: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081...llectionofcoll
Note: DO NOT get the Kindle version.

It improved my photography immensely.

I also really like The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/024...llectionofcoll Despite the title, the techniques are applicable to film.
Mar 12th, 2014, 12:24 AM

...applicable to film as well.
Mar 12th, 2014, 12:46 AM

Great recommendations! I am going to check those out too!
Mar 12th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Yes - thanks to you all! Sparkchaser - feel free to chime in anytime. I appreciate your contribution. We aren't headed back to Italy until Christmas, so I'll have plenty of time for study and practice before we go.

So Jamikins, on that offer to help with other questions,-----we are going to be copy cats to you and biker Scott - and we plan to spend Christmas in Rome - New Year's in Tuscany. I am now thinking about where to stay in Tuscany. I'm a big Siena fan, any other towns we should take a look at?

We'll have the 2 kids - so it'd be nice to be in town, the town should have some places to go visit and look around (not too small), and allow me to let my kids do some exploring on their own (17 and 12) We'd like to take a day trip to Florence and perhaps a day trip to Assissi.

Any suggestions for places to take a look at?
Mar 13th, 2014, 12:12 AM

Of course I don't mind helping!

We loved Montepulciano, there are lots of shops to go into but it may be a bit small.

I would consider Lucca...if you click on my name we have a trip report about it from last July.

Lucca itself is lovely, a real place where real people live and work, not totally dependent on tourists. The kids can walk or ride bikes around the old ancient walls. There are towers to climb and a lively piazza that used to be an arena and lots of teenagers for them to meet.

From Lucca you can very easily do day trips to Florence and Pisa by train, and Siena by car. You could probably also take the train to Cinque Terre for a long day trip if you hit nice weather.

I hope this helps!
Mar 13th, 2014, 12:14 AM

Here is the trip report

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rche-lucca.cfm
Mar 13th, 2014, 12:15 AM

And the pics to give you an idea

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gir...7637218522244/
Mar 13th, 2014, 02:48 AM

Italy enjoyed an exceptionally mild winter 2013/2014. In most years Lucca tends to be noticeably cold in the early part of January, and bike riding might not be fun.

You might want to stick with Siena, but Orvieto also does a huge music festival at the first of the year. Orvieto is actually in Umbria, quite close to the Tuscan border. Staying in Orvieto would simplify your day trips to Assisi and Florence.

http://goitaly.about.com/b/2010/12/0...eve-umbria.htm
Mar 13th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much!

Jamikins, I did admire your pics of your new years trip in Montepulciano - now I'll explore Lucca with you.

Sandra, I had not thought of Orvieto - I'll check out that music fest too - that would add some excitement. The cold wouldn't bother us too much - not after this long winter we've had ---over 100 inches of snow this year! But it is good to know these things to take them into consideration.

I greatly appreciate the direct suggestions - we hope to make reservations for our Rome and Tuscan apartments soon.