Search

Calling Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling Ireland

Last week I emailed a B&B in Kenmare about availability for two nights in a couple of weeks. Yes, they had a room available and please send credit card information to book the room. On Saturday, I sent the information, and here it is Thursday night and I have not had a return email, even though in the meantime I have sent two requests for confirmation.

This is a well-recommended b&b. Maybe they took a week off. Whatever, I would like to either firm this up or find another B&B for the nights. I am going to call them on Saturday if I haven't heard back.

So my question: what is the least expensive way to call? I did a search here and the responses were all a couple of years old. Do the "dial-around" numbers still work? After a google search, I am kind of skeptical. If I have to call direct, I will, but wonder if there is a less expensive way?
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
yes - the 10-10 numbers still work.

(But IME a few days delay to answer e-mail is VERY normal. Often, the B&B doesn't check their e-mail every day; or someone else actually handles the website/e-mail and has to forward messages to the owner; or they are VERY busy since this is Easter/schools holidays)
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM

I've never heard of 10-10 numbers - will have to look that up!

When I'm planning a trip, I usually buy a world phone card with prepaid minutes, and use that. It seems to be pretty reasonable. I never use up all the minutes by a long shot - a $20 card lasts me until it expires.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM

I use an MCI calling card for all internation calls either from the USA or from a foreign country to the USA. I have found it very cheap.

When my kids travel they use my calling card numbers and it works for them.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I use 10-10-987 (there are also others) calling from my home. It works out to 6¢ a minute, plus about 40¢ to connect.

When traveling I do use calling cards. They are cheap, but the 10-10 number is easier w/ lots less numbers to key in (no PIN/long access number/etc.) and usually about 2 cents a minute less.

From my home phone I don't have to even think about it nor dig out a calling card. Just 10-10-987 and the area code/phone number.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 03:13 AM

I go to the grocery store (for me, it's Publix -- but I suspect LOTS of places also sell them)and purchase a couple of $5 Sprint International Calling Cards. Pretty much the same as the '10-10 ' numbers, price-wise, but I leave a card with my wife's elderly parents and our daughter, along with my Irish cell phone number.

The card is handy for any calls that I need to make pre-trip. During the trip, it's a cheap way to keep in touch with home, as they can call us using the cards at NO cost to them -- and all incoming calls on the Vodaphone plan are FREE.

Bob
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Patience is a virtue....I finally heard from the B&B today and we are all set. janisj was probably right, that they were busy for the holidays. (I heard back right away from all the other places we contactd.) But thank you, Bob, I now have a $10 calling card I will leave for our son with a list of all the places we will be staying, ...just in case!
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

BTW, our son used the card to call us at our b&b regarding flight disruptions the other day, so I am glad we left it there for him to use!
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM

If you weant to make a few cheap international calls, try the folks at www.operatorone.eu or www.localphone.com. They are easy to use & cheap