Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Calling gracejoan3 . . . come in Joan . . .

Old Oct 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick question for you since you're the resident expert on PP. I'm wondering if you've come up with an arrangement that is better than dropping your luggage off at the apartment in the morning. Last year I opted to arrive in Paris a day early so as not to inconvenience the people staying in "our" apartment on their last morning. What I mean is, we arrived a day early & checked into a hotel. The next day we were able to leave our luggage at the hotel until it was time to check in at our apartment. I'd like to come up with a better plan for this year, but I'm just not crazy about leaving our luggage at the apartment with the other guests there, & then the cleaning crew afterwards . . .
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM

I'll send Joan the link to your message, but don't expect to hear back until tomorrow.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I appreciate it.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Luggage lockers at Gare du Nord?
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 01:38 AM

Hi Clarin,

I have never had a problem getting into my www.parisperfect.com apartment on arrival day.

What time of the day are you arriving? People are supposed to depart probably before you could get to the apartment. It may be that the apartment has not finiahed the cleaning when you arrive. You would then leave your lugage and go do some little shopping, have breakfast or whatever.

I would think it would be very inconvenient to arrive a day early and stay in an apartment, etc.

I have just returned from Paris and going back in April..another PP, of course.

Hope this helps. If I can help further, please let me know..

a bientot...

Joan

Old Oct 17th, 2008, 02:05 AM

Clarin,

I meant to say"arrive early and stay in a hotel"..it's early!

Joan
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 02:18 AM

Clarin,

Don't worry about the safety of your luggage being left at the apartment with the cleaning crew. These are PP people who are doing the cleaning..not some outside service company!

Joan
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response, Joan. We usually arrive by 7AM, so that puts us at the apartment by 8:30, which is probably before the prior occupants have taken off. From my perspective, leaving luggage in an apartment where people have not yet checked out is the real issue. I am not suggesting that anyone would steal our luggage, however, in the craziness of check-out morning, it would not be inconceivable for (some of?) our luggage to be mistakenly hauled off with theirs, even if we have ours in a different place, etc. I realize that that may sound nutty, but I think it's a real possibility, depending on who's helping to lug their luggage downstairs, etc. Unlikely, perhaps, but it's something that is completely avoidable only if we don't drop off the luggage until they've departed. But alas, some people do overstay the posted checkout times, so that would leave us potentially waiting in the wings for an indefinite period of time. I just find the whole arrangement wanting, but maybe I'm the only one who feels this way.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:46 AM

Clarin,

I understand your concerns. I have always been picked up to depart by 6:30 am...that does not mean that everyone would be that early.

I usually do not arrive at the apt. as early as you. I could take a flight that gets me into CDG about 6:30, but I usually take another that gets me in about 8:15..then no problem about arrival.

I have just been in touch with MAdelyn (PP owner) and mentioned your concerns..she said your apt, may be very near their office and you could leve the luggage there. Which apt. have you rented? I had thought of this, too, but would not suggest it without first asking Madelyn..

Joan
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Oh heavens! The last thing I want to do is to create a big issue about this. I just wondered how you handled this situation since you've stayed with them so many times. Clearly, your timetable is different from mine, so it's a moot point.

I'd rather not go into a whole lot of detail, but I inquired last year as to whether or not we could possibly store our luggage at their office (which is close to the apartment) and I was told it was impossible - the office is too small & they cannot accomodate guests' luggage. Indeed, that is why I ultimately decided to bite the bullet & arrive a day early & pay for one night in a hotel.

Joan, I truly appreciate your touching base with Madelyn on this. That was very kind of you.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM

Clarin,

Madelyn indicated that it is NOT a problem for you to leave your luggage at the office! I'm sure the answer that you received previously would be the standard answer..or they might have a lot of luggage in their office!!

Which apt? It may well be that the people would be gone and you could get in. You will not know that til later. Yes, arrangements can be made for you so you do not need to arrive a day early and stay in a hotel....that has already been decided...give me the info and it will be taken care of....

no problem

a bientot..

Joan
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

You are too kind, Joan, really. You've already gone way above and beyond the call of duty. I'll contact the office and take it from here & I'm sure there will be no problems. I can't thank you enough, and I hope you know that I certainly had no intention of having you contact Madelyn(!) about this. I would never.

I don't know who's luckier - you, to be staying for months at a time w/PP, or PP to have you!
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Clarin,

I was in touch with Madelyn about some other things and also mentioned your concern..not a problem.

Doing some things with her right now.

Have a good trip

Joan
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Clarin,

Here is the latest and what you need to know/do.

When you call that you are leaving the airport and on your way they will either tell you that the apt. is ready and to go there, or will tell you where to go to leave your luggage in secure surroundings.

You don't need to go a day early to stay in a hotel.

Chances are, your apt. will be ready and no problems.

Joan
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Clarin,

I don't know if you picked this up from some my other posts, but this is absolutely the best service to/from airport.
http://www.shuttle-inter.com/homepage.htm

I have used them a number of times and I have no idea how many, many, many others have used them from my passing it on. 55e for 2-3 people and probably if you mention that you heard from me that their service is excellent, you will receive a discount.

They will meet you outside the passport control exit door with your name on a sign. They will take your luggage to a nearby car and voila, you are on your way. They keep track of any flight delays and make whatever necessary adjustments....

Joan
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM

We just returned from a PP apartment. We arrived early, and stored our luggage at the PP office. There was another set of guests who also stored their luggage at the office. They told us when the apt would be cleaned, so that we could then move our bags there & "move in" - which was around noon, I believe.

Stu Dudley