Calling all Greek Island Experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help us plan our 25th wedding anniversary trip to the Greek Islands next August. We want to spend two weeks visiting various islands. We definitely want to stay in Santorini but after that I am not sure. Please advise about which islands to visit and the best 4 or 5 star hotels available. I thought about Mykonos, Crete or Rhodes. What do you think??? We are open to any suggestions. Also which is the best way to book this trip? Any advice will be most helpful. Thanks!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 03:13 PM
rex

No doubt you will get some good answers from folks with first-hand personal experience, but it will still be worth your while to become familiar (also) with Matt Barrett's "Travel Guide to Greece" - - http://www.greektravel.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex for the very helpful and informative website. We are still unsure as to what islands to choose. We definitely want to visit Santorini but cannot decide on what other islands. Any suggestions will be most appreciative. Thanks!!!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Hi Victoria,

The very best to you and yours on your 25th anniversary.

There are many islands to choose from. Santorini was one of my favorites! I have my journal posted on my web site, which may give you some ideas. http://greece2001mjp.homestead.com/grjournal.html We visited, in addition to Santorini and Athens, Naxos and Paros. Loved our trip! Our hotels were not 4-5 stars, but we enjoyed our stay. I'm sure you can find some really nice, special places to celebrate your anniversary.

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Oops, I clicked when I shouldn't have.

Anyway, I just wanted to close by saying have a wonderful time!!!

Monica
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:09 PM

I spent a week in Crete with my girlfriend a few years ago. It is a large island with lots of places to go. I think we stayed in a small town near Malia
which was OK, but a bit overrun by German tourists.

We rented a car and took a few day trips. Iraklio was a nice city to walk around in and we found a fantastic ouzeri (sp?) there. Fried calamari, stuffed grape leaves, meatballs, and the best salad I've ever eaten. I have never tasted feta cheese like the feta you get in Greece. In general, I would say that the food in Crete might have been THE BEST I've ever had. There were some interesting sites to see such as an old fort and an archaeological museum, but as I remember, the most interesting part was just walking up and down the streets.

Agios Nicolaos was another day trip we took. The city was quite beautiful but small. Once we had taken in the view, and relaxed on the beach for an hour there wasn't much else to do.

The third day trip I remember was to some ruins, although I can't remember the name. They were interesting but nothing mind blowing.

All in all, the day trips required long drives and the driving there was not for the faint of heart. Our rental car had seen better days, there were many drops offs on the side of the road with no safety barrier, and most highways were one lane which meant that drivers use the shoulder as a passing lane. The rides home were especially harrowing since there were not many lights along the highways.

One of the days we took a day cruise to Santorini. The cruise was awful, but Santorini was beautiful. Unfortunately, we only had time to catch a bus down to the beach with black sand for a couple of hours.

Over all, I would say that our trip was fun and we saw a lot of interesting things. It was not one of my favorite places I've been, but it was a good and unique experience. I believe that the mountains in the South East (I think) have some sites to offer, but we didn't have time to make it that far. Have a great anniversary!

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Oh, I forgot to add: One great thing about the cruise to Santorini was the views as we came into port. If you can find some kind of boat trip the island volcanoes surrounding Santorini are beautiful.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Hi Victoria:

Sounds like we're planning a similar trip. We will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary next year and plan on going to Greece mid June for 2 weeks.

The islands we are thinking of visiting are Santorini, Crete and possibly Mykonos - along with a few days in Athens. We may forgo Mykonos and opt for a day trip to various islands from Santorini.

From what I understand these islands are in the same group and can be accessed by ferry or high speed boat.

Keep in touch and let me know how your plans are coming along. I have just begun my research now and I'll let you know what I find. Take care.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:56 PM

Difficult question. We love Greece but where to go will be dependent on your tastes and on the type of resort that you desire. We really liked Santorini, Crete, Rhodes and found Mykonos just so so after Santorini. Be prepared for huge crowds in August.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 09:05 PM

Congratulations, Victoria, on your 25th anniversary!

Santorini is a wonderful choice. Regarding your other three, I love Rhodes (been twice) for its historical old cities, Rhodos and Lindos. It's definitely a big island, both is feel and size. Mykonos is very interesting but will be in full tilt in August - it's definitely a lively atmosphere. May or may not be your cup of tea. Delos, nearby, is worth a day trip.

I also second Paros and Naxos. Paros, once you get outside of busy Parikia, is quite nice. Naoussa is a harborside town I've stayed in a number of times. Love the feel. Nearby Santa Maria beach is lovely, as is the traditional hilltown of Lefkes. Naxos is large with a lush interior and miles and miles of coastline much of it secluded.

One thing I might suggest: don't let the lack of 4 or 5 star hotels detract you from a particular island. Part of the Greece magic is staying in a small town and getting to experience a more traditional village life, and is half the fun. In this regard, I would recommend Amorgos or Astipalea, two of my personal favorites, but there are dozens and dozens of these smaller, less traveled islands that are real gems.

I've got all of these islands (and more) in my photo gallery dedicated to Greece. If you're interested, have a look here:

http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...level2_all.htm

Have a wonderful trip and experience!

Regards, Bruce
www.brucegcollier.com
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 10:59 PM

Folegandros and stay at the Anemomilos Apartments.

http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/f...momil/home.htm
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM

Sifnos- Eleos Resort
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:51 PM

My favorite hotel on Santorini is Sun Rocks Villas in Firostaphani. I stayed there in 1999. Easy walk into town, yet in a quiet area with a killer view.

I enjoyed Mykonos, but it will be crowded. Went to the beaches, wandered the maze-like town, sometimes in the mornings while few people were out and about. It is a lovely island. I'm not a night-life person, but I understand there is a lot of night-life if that's what you like. Lots of shopping too. I prefer to stay out of town where it is more peaceful.

Naxos and Paros are also very nice. Paros reminded me a bit of Mykonos, but it's been more than ten years ago since I was there.

In 1990 I went to Skiathos and Skopelos far north of Cyclades. It was more of a cultural experience. We met very few people speaking English, not even tourists. Not sure what it's like today. We were impressed with how kind people were. We were in a shop looking for a lock for my friend's suitcase. The proprietor left his shop and walked us two blocks to a place for us to make a purchase, leaving his shop unattended.

Rhodes was interesting. I enjoyed walked the wall of the enclosed Old Town. There is interesting history there. There are many large resorts on the island, but the vastness and uniformity of them did nothing for me.

Perhaps you can indicate the things you most want to do -- historic sites, beaches, shopping, etc.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM

Bruce, your photographs are beautiful. Thanks for giving your website address.

Diane
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for such great advice. Bruce, your pictures are just amazing. In addition to Santorini, we are thinking that perhaps it might be nice to visit the nearby islands of Naxos and Paros. Do they tend to be more quiet? What about Milos? Also if we choose these islands rather than Rhodes or Crete, how do we book this trip including transportation between islands? I am sure you can tell we have never done this before even though we have a house seven hours north of Athens as my husband is greek. We have only been to the island of Corfu. Thanks for all the help!!!!

Victoria
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:57 PM

Naxos is a great option and our Greek friends talk fondly of Milos.

Naxos is definitely quieter than Santorini or Mykonos. What I like is the ability to go to the interior of the island and find wonderful towns such as Halki, Filotti and Apiranthos.

It's a nice pairing with Santorini because it's very different. Finding an upscale hotel is a bit tougher there. Santorini had dramatic beauty and everyone should see it at least once, but it was great to get away from the non-stop tourist buzz. Naxos has a nice balance. If you're OK with going to a place where people have other jobs beyond catering to tourists, then Naxos is a great choice. The beaches are among the best in the Cyclades as well.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 01:16 AM

A little difficult to reach from the Cyclades, but definitely worth the effort is the Ionian island of Paxos.

If you need convincing, have a look at some of my photos of our trip this year -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenosuk/sets/13880/

Old Sep 26th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Thank you, Diane and Victoria, for the nice comments re Greek photos.

Victoria, all you need to do in Santorini is drop in to any tourist office while out walking around and inquire when a ferry is headed to the island of your choice and book your tickets with them. Do this early in your stay as it might be a few days depending on choice. In August, you might need to do this just due to the crowds (but not likely). Paros, I can guarantee will be a number of times per day as Parikia is the ferry hub of the Cyclades. Naxos, too, multiples daily. I would also suggest booking your hotel in advance as it sounds like you are staying in hotels that might be booked up via packages.

Your hotel will have transpo to the dock a little before your ferry. It is quite trivial, island hopping. Sit out on the deck and enjoy the sights, especially that of Santorini's caldera.

Happy travels,
Bruce
www.brucegcollier.com
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Hi Victoria. I have been to Skiathos (lovely beaches and town) Kefalonia (stunning scenery and villages), Rhodes (Lindos is fab plus the old town) and this year Crete which I loved. Stayed at the Pilot Beach Resort - 5* in Georgopolis and absolutely loved it. Entertainment every night, fabulous food, four large swimming pools and a private beach. Georgopolis is handy for Chania and Reythmon as you can get the bus outside the hotel. If you go to Crete definately stay in the west of the island as it is relatively unspoilt once you get away from the resorts........We love Greece and the Greek people so we are off to the Pelopennese next year........wherever you go I am sure you will enjoy ........