Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Calling all Avignon experts, or even amateurs

Old May 4th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending 3 nights towards the end of Sept. in Avignon. We plan on taking a train to Isle sur la sorge, hopefully a boat ride to Arles..anyone know if they run that time of yr?..perhaps a bus to St. Remy and Baux. So we will be using pub/commercial transportation.
We are considering stay at various b and bs located on Limas on Limas, Lumani on Rue rue du rempart st lazare, Villa Agape on rue st agricol, Bancasterie on street of same name, places in Villeneuve les Avignon.
Are any of these places really inconvenient to the bus and train stations? I do not mind walking 20 minutes. How about the areas? Too noisy? Unsafe? Is there a "most desirable area" in Avignon? Many thanks.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:01 AM

ttt
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The train to Isle-sur-.., Cavaillon and Fountain de Vaucluse will be ok. There should be a bus to St Remy. Les Baux, I took an excursion autobus but not sure how late they run. Some of the boats that year were only sailing in July and August.
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I don't know about boats. I'm sure the train runs all year.

As for Avignon, the best place to stay is somewhere between the main train station (just outside the city walls) and the main square before the Palais des Papes. The bus station is next to the main train station. You can walk if you are in that general area. I think the main drag is ave Jean Jaures and there are some more modest hotels on it and near it (right near the Palais des Papes would be an okay location if the hotel says that, but check actual location). The Hotel Bristol in Avignon is a superb location, for example, and is a 3* hotel so maybe more than you want to spend. Although that isn't that expensive in Avignon (probably 100 euro per night or less).

I don't understand your addresses, have never heard of them. Why do you want to stay in Villeneuve les Avignon if you intend to use public trains and buses, which I presume leave only from Avignon central gares (train or routiere for bus)? I've taken the bus to St Remy from Avignon, and it leaves from the gare routiere next to the Avignon centre train station.

There is a cute 1* cheap hotel in Avignon with a central location, you could check it out if you want that price level (the Hotel Mignon). Now I never stayed there but have suggested it has it was cheap, a good location, and had a cute website -- and I do remember one or two folks who stayed there saying it was good for the money. It has its own website
http://www.hotel-mignon.com/

but both those hotels are also on www.venere.com
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Looking at the Mignon's website, I think it must have upgraded from a 1*, that just seems too low given its amenities (it says it even has AC). It used to be, anyway -- doubles are now about 55 euro.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

I was interested in Villeneuve since there were several nice hotels and b&bs
in pretty, outdoor settings. I will check out the Bristol. Thanks for the comments on areas to stay in.
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Any more ideas?
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM

I stayed in Villeneuve for three weeks but that was at an expensive place but only because, I had suffered a huge loss in my life and had to get away, otherwise I prefer and can afford the more charming B&Bs. But what I want tyo say, that it's a pleasant walk across the bridge to Avignon, or, you can take the bus by the water fountain, or the boat up the hill by the tour.
The train will be running to Isle-.
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM

I loved staying in Villeneuve - it was easy to take the bus to Avignon and back to Villeneuve for the peace and quiet of a small town. There are also beautiful gardens in Villeneuve, as well as other interesting sites.
I, like Cigale, stayed in a more expensive hotel (Le Priore - lovely, and great food!), but there are other less expensive places there. I would definitely stay in Villeneuve rather than Avignon.
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:04 PM

We stay in Villeneuve every year and will again this fall...it has a wonderful small village atmosphere, but yet, there are several very good restaurants and places to stay, historical sites to see..at the end of the day it is quiet and charming, and on Saturday morning they have a fun antique fair!!
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Sue, that is where I stayed, it was a setting in the Judith Krantz book, "Mistral" (based on Picasso) that was later made into a mini series.
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:45 PM

There is a bus from the gare routiere (opposite the down town Avignon train station) that will take you to St Remy.

The trip takes about 45 minutes as I recall. When I turned in my rental car I took the bus to St Remy and then back again to get the train at Avignon.

Larry J
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM

From Avignon, it's an easy cab ride to Chateauneuf-du-Pape, which is worth a visit, particularly if you enjoy wine. Be sure to visit La Cave du Verger.

http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/w...ave-du-verger/
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:02 AM

Stay near the train station is very convenient as you have Bus station there also. There are many buses leaving from Avignon to small villages, but not to L'Isle sur la Sorque as this has to be done by train from Avignon.
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:57 AM

Hello hellokittie, we arrived back to Australia yesterday after 5 weeks in Provence/Tuscany. We stayed at Villa Agape for 6 nights. Michelle is a wonderful host and the villa is from memory 17th century.It is located very near the Pope's Palace and about a 15 minute walk to the train statiion.And around the corner from the main square. 3 beautiful rooms in a supurb setting set amongst a wonderful garden. Complete with little plunger pool.Michelle serves breakfast on the patio, which consists of croissonts, home made jam, cheese, yoghurts, tea/coffee and the most amazing fruit platters.We had cocktail hour every evening in the courtyard from 6.30 for about an hour. No problem. Michelle supplied beautiful glasses and we left our champagne in her refrigerator. The linen is so beautiful to sleep on (which is also changed daily). Michelle is such a beautiful french lady. Her artwork and interior furnishing are from her family which can be traced back a couple of centuries.A wonderful b and b. We had organised a private tour guide with a car for a few trips. The rest we did by the local tain. No problem. Enjoy
Old May 29th, 2006, 04:18 AM

We stayed at Villeneuve before and, although we had a car, you can easily take the easily accessible public transportation to/from Avignon.

Villeneuve is more quiet and never as crowded as Avignon.