Reload this Page >

Call for protests to Magellan.com

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Josie

Why? Because the travel product site is promoting ugly Americanism. <BR> <BR>In its Packing Guide section, the company advocates that old "trick" about taking old clothing and littering your host country with your once clothing, now trash as you go. As others here have pointed out, the world is not our landfill. But Magellan's takes it one step uglier with this piece of advice: <BR> <BR>"Pants, sweaters, and shirts that are good enough to wear on a trip, but that you don't want to keep, can be left in your hotel room for the underpaid housekeeper to take home. (Attach a note explaining that they're a gift.)" <BR> <BR>Of all the condescending !%&@*! <BR> <BR>For those who are as offended as I am by this arrogance posing as charity, you can email [email protected] or phone the company toll free at 800-962-4943 (US) or 805-568-5400 (international). <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Marc David Miller

What is wrong with that, as long as the clothing is in good condition (and not undergarments)? I have seen housekeepers in this country take things from the lost and found bin after a few months.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 01:02 PM
a regular

Josie, I read the excerpt three times and still can't find the "ugly americanism" that you are referring to (actually your post is more ofensive to me). It is a reality WORLDWIDE that housekeepers are usually underpaid staff (actually you couldn't pay ME enough....). Agree with Mark, if the post is referring to underwear, that is offensive; general clothing items, what's the big deal?

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 01:05 PM
clear-as-day

Actually, the advice to leave a note is very considerate to the housekeeper. That way, there is no risk of later having the housekeeper accused of theft. So thoughtful of Magellan. Kudos.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Beavis

It appars to me thay for you being condescent is an American trait. well Josie you are more offensive to me than whatever was it that Magelllan is promoting. Are you aware that you sound like an ignorant baboon? Oops...sorry.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 02:04 PM
xxx

In my travels to Latin America, many times the housekeeping staff was definitely at a social and economic disadvantage and our "trash" might actually be welcomed. If I threw something in the trash because I felt it was no use to me, but a maid retrieved it and was caught with it, they could be fired or made to return the item to me and apologize. On several occassions I decided not to return home with a pair of shoes, shirt or whatever, and I made sure to leave a note with the items (along with a nice tip).

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 02:25 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Leaving old clothes is a great idea which I have done several times. It is a win/win deal.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Kavey

Provided you aren't leaving rags, but clothes in good condition (as Magellans advocates) then I can't see this as a big deal. <BR> <BR>I would put a note of some sort as otherwise the housekeeper will simply report to the management that guests have left behind some belongings and it will probably initiate a time-consuming effort to get hold of you and return them to you. <BR> <BR>Since I wouldn't like to assume that the house keeper would want or need my cast offs I would probably write a note along the lines of <BR> <BR>"Dear Hotel XXX. I am leaving these clothes behind as I no longer need them. If you know of any organisation or person who can make use of them, please pass them on. If not, I would be grateful if you could dispose of them for me. Many thanks for your help.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Bob Brown

At least the old clothes can be used for cleaning rags. <BR>Given the income of the average Swiss hotel employee, I am not sure that they would be flattered!! <BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 06:53 PM
elvira

Geez, I do the disposable clothing here in the U.S., and never considered it condescending to anyone, nor some sort of ecological disaster (ok that one pair of pants, but let's not go there). And what's so wrong about throwing away underwear in the trash? My god, I throw used tissue in the trash - should I throw it in the toilet and waste water? And tampon tubes? Flush 'em and destroy the plumbing? Trash is trash, get over it.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Jean

Let me get this straight... you wear the same clothes for 2 to 3 weeks and then believe they would be welcome by the cleaning staff...how insulting. You are requested NOT to donate dirty clothes to a charity, why would you do that in a country where you are so concerned about what they think of you. Hell, keep your stinky clothes and leave a tip. <BR>J.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 07:09 PM
ger

I'm with Josie on this one! <BR> <BR>Agreed, the ladies that clean the rooms are underpaid everywhere. Solution: Leave them a good CASH tip and let them choose how they will spend the money (I NEVER leave an hotel without leaving a healthy tip for the ladies). <BR> <BR>Poverty does not mean they have no dignity, in this case wearing some other person's worn & UNWASHED clothes (gross). If one wants to dispose of worn clothes, then there usually are outlets for that (like the Vincent de Paul or other charitable organizations). They sort the garments, recycle the ugly, unwearable stuff, dry clean the good stuff and THEN offer it for sale.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 07:39 PM
A.M.

Jean has a good point, so many posters on this board are worried about how they look to others when they travel when it's really how you act that makes people's minds up about you. Hotel housekeepers, in my mind, are neither charity cases nor messengers for our castoffs. Magellan is giving poor advice. Really, would you leave your uneaten food for a waiter rather than a tip? A.M. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 08:09 AM
sss

ttt.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 08:11 AM
don

Everyone knows Europeans can't dress. They should be proud to wear my old blue jeans, college sweatshirts, baseball cap and sneakers. Heck they should even want to wear my tightie whities.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Wesly

I agree with Don, all those Europeans look like, well, Europeans. Leaving our old clothes behind will help answer the age old question "How to I not look like an American tourist?" Once all of them begin to wear our left behind clothes they will look just like us and voila!!!...no more looking like tourists.