Caledonian Express overnight, and Inverness

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to janisj's brilliant suggestion, we want to take to Caledonian Express overnight from Euston to Inverness in September. Of course, I'd like to find a "bargain berth" -- does anyone know how far ahead they make them available? I looked at the First Scotrail website, and right now they are selling through August 18. We'll be travelling on September 3, so it's getting close. I want to catch that window of opportunity before it slams shut!

We will also want to rent a car when we arrive, and drop it off in Edinburgh. There seem to be various locations to pick up (airport or in town), and I have no idea which town location might be close to the train station. If the best one-way prices are for airport pick-up, what is the best way get there from the train? Is it a long taxi ride? Shuttle bus?
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:25 PM

It's a reasonably long taxi ride to the airport. What are the town centre options?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the slow response, Sheila -- work keeps getting in the way!

The Inverness pickup options seem to be the airport, "downtown office at Friars Bridge Service Station" or "downtown office Shore Street". Which will be easiest to get to from the station?

At the end of our Highlands tour, we'll be driving from Perth to Edinburgh then dropping the car off before we spend a couple of nights in the city. I've read enough on this board to know that I don't want to drive in Edinburgh any more than I have to, so should we drop car at the airport, Waverly Station, or East London Street? (We'll probably be staying in the New Town part of the city.)

And one more question: any suggestions on where to stay in Perth (2 nights, midweek)? We'll be doing a mix of nice country hotels and B&Bs on the trip. Prefer comfort and character, medium price range, if we have to be specific!

TIA for all your help.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In Edinburgh - dropping the car at either Waverly station or the airport would be OK. But the time of day/day of week makes a lot of difference re traffic, etc. So the easiest would be to drop it at EDI and take the airport shuttle bus into the city center.

Now, for Inverness. Neither Friar's Bridge or Shore street is all that near the station. You'd probably take a cab to either one since (a wild guess) they would be 15 or 20 minute walks. So I'd just pick.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis, good to know. And we were definitely planning to take a taxi to the rental location. I'm not into dragging wheelie bags down busy streets, with all that clattering!

I see that Hertz has an in-town office at The Thistle Hotel, Millburn Road -- is that any easier to get to?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Nope - The Thistle is about the same. It is close to the A9/A82 main roads out of town. I'd just use which ever agency/location gets you the best rates.

Any of the three sites is better than the airport . . . .
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis, that makes sense. "In-town" car rental places are seldom really IN town because the real estate is too expensive (the one in Weymouth is on an industrial estate). Just don't want to set us up for more hassle than necessary, since we'll be fresh off the overnight train...