Notices

Caiscais or Lagos

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 10:06 PM
Janie

Caiscais or Lagos

Which is nicer for a three night visit in early September, Caiscais or Lagos. The town, the beach, swimming, hotels, character?

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 05:37 AM
Jeanie

Definitely Lagos. Caiscais was OK, mainly due to its proximity to Lisbon. But there's no doubt that the beaches are much better in the Algarve.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Cheryl Z.

Janie, I'd say Cascais (and whole Estoril coast area) over the Algarve, but then I didn't get to Lagos when we were there. I didn't care for the part of the Algarve we stayed at.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 11:19 AM
anniel

Your choice depends on the type of holiday you want. If you want to explore
different coatal towns and stay in a town of character, then stay in Lagos. The Hotel Lagos is fine, we stayed there for a week, strolled around town and hired a car to explore the coast. I would not call Lagos a good beach area.
If beaches are your bag, then Caiscais is pleasant and Lisbon is a short journey by train for days out.

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 12:52 PM
janie

Thanks to all for getting back to me.

Anniel, why didn't you like the beaches in Lagos? It is my impression that they are more swimable than Caiscais. Is that not true? The Hotel Lagos sounds like the nicest hotel in the area. Is it? Can you walk to the beach and into town from there?