Notices

Public Transport in Rome

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 09:55 AM
Emma

Public Transport in Rome

I am wondering if there is available some kind of ticket/card which would cover all forms of transportation while I am in Rome. I will be there for a week, and would like the flexibility of being able to use the metro or bus freely, without always having to stop to purchase the ticket. Thanks!

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 10:01 AM
Ed

Yes. There's a weekly card. Cost is LIT24,000 I believe, vs. individual trips at Lit1,500.

You can purchase from the bus agency (several offices, one at Termini) as well as authorized distributors like many tobacco shops, as well as some automated vending machines.

Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria
www.twenj.com

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 10:57 AM
Emma

Thanks Ed! Do I just walk right on to the bus, and walk right on to the metro? Or, do I need to show the pass to someone?
PS your website is great, I just checked it out for the first time!

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Ed

I've never used. For the bus I believe you just need to have with you as there are no ticket inspectors. I'm not sure how it works on the Metro. Will be interested to see other's replies.

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 01:35 PM
Walter

Emma: You're right Ed's site is great. I bought a week pass in '96 if I remember correctly in has the dates on it and you just walk thru the open area at the turnstiles for the metro and on the bus just board it. My last 2 trips I've just bought a "day pass" at the kiosks for 6000L, you just validate *once* at a metro turnstile or on a bus validation machine and put it in your wallet and just show if you're asked by a checker (I never was). Getting a weekly pass I'd think would depend on where your hotel is. If it's near a metro line you might use it everyday or if it's outside the center you might take the same bus to say Termini and then maybe metro/bus to a general area. In 3 trips I think I've taken a bus once, but that's my phobia they're too crowded and I'd rather walk than be jammed-in a throng of people. Rome is a walkable city don't let looking at a map put you off, it's only 2.8mi~(4.5km) from Termini to St. Peter's Square. I've only taken a taxi once but they seem reasonable, I'd guess if your hotel is around the historic center it might cost 10,000L ($5US) or less to the farther sites. I've collected some Italy websites e-mail me if you like and I'll send them to you. HTH Regards, Walter