Search

Cafes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Joann

Cafes

I'm curious. Are cafes in France similar to pubs in England, that is no one under 18 allowed even to eat??<BR><BR>Also my daughter is under the impression she may have wine with her meals? Is she right?<BR><BR>Merci.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:12 AM
StCirq

Joann: Caf&eacute;s in France bear little resemblance to pubs in England, and I've never run into one where children weren't welcome. Same with bistros and brasseries and restaurants.<BR><BR>How old is your daughter? My daughter first started being asked if she wanted wine at restaurants in France when she was 13. The first time she said yes, she was 14. She got about a thimbleful. There was no suggestion or expectation that she would drink a full glass in any place where she was offered it, and the waiters invariably &quot;checked&quot; with us first, at least through eye contact.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Ruth

Just to clear up a misunderstanding, children generally are allowed to eat in pubs in England, except in the bar. That is, they can eat in any pub restaurant, family room, or garden. They cannot be bought alcohol though.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:21 AM
LaFemme

Our 11 year old ate in any pub we went to in London, eating in the dining area with the other families.<BR>In Paris, a cafe is generally a restaurant that serves alchohol, any young people are allowed, just not supposed to order alchohol.<BR>If your daughter is underage, then why would you allow her to drink in France or at home?<BR>If you are not going to be with her, then tell her that she can get into some unpleasant trouble ordering wine if she is underage and they don't care if you eat with it or not! It is just like the US in this regard.<BR>At a private home, it is another matter.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Joann

LaFemme<BR><BR>I was'nt planning on allowing her to drink. I asked a question.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:51 AM
xxx

<BR><BR>Joann, this doesn't specifically address the question you asked about your daughter but you may find it interesting anyway.<BR><BR>France Country Profile<BR><BR>http://www.eurocare.org/profiles/france01.htm<BR><BR>Under &quot;Age Patterns&quot; it says, &quot;In 1995, 65 per cent of young people between the ages of 12 and 18 drank alcohol, compared with 47 per cent in 1991.&quot;<BR><BR>Under &quot;Control of alcohol problems&quot; it says, &quot;There is a minimum legal age limit of 16 years for buying alcohol.&quot;<BR><BR>I suspect there are many American parents who would gladly let their under-21 children drink alcohol in France even though the United States says that children under 21 are not mature enough. <BR><BR>