Search

Cadiz, Spain

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadiz, Spain

I will be on a cruise stopping in Cadiz end of May and am looking for recommendations on how to see the area with a local guide. We will be in port from 8am - 11pm. i currently have signed up for the Royal Equestrian show from 8a-1p. any other suggestions on what to do and see while in Cadiz?
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Cadiz is a wonderful city - it really surprised us. Just wander around the old section. I don't know why you would want a guide. The fish market there is huge - but it will probably be closed by the time you finish your Equestrian show.

Why would you want to get off a ship and then go and watch (probably sit) a horse show for 3 hrs in the prime of the day??? You'll finish the show just when most/all of the shops will close for their lunch break. I'm not a cruse ship fan - but I would want to walk around and enjoy a city after being on a ship for a long period of time. The biggest cruise ship I've ever seen was in Cadiz.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 09:48 AM

We stopped for a day in Cadiz on a cruise - while it was pleasant enough, not really a "home run" IMO. You could see if "Tours by locals" have any tours for you to do after your horse show. There is a nice beach if that's your thing. I think if it were me, I'd just wander a bit and find a restaurant to enjoy some off the ship Spanish cuisine.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 11:32 AM

The Royal Equestrian school in is Jerez, not Cádiz. It about a 40 minute drive each way, or 45 minutes by train. The show lasts 90 minutes, and the gates don't open until 10:00 am. It's an interesting show, but doing the full tour is a better experience. No photos allowed.

Normally after the show people head to Sandeman for a sampling of sherry, but you might be interested in having lunch at Restaurant Alvalá, with chef Israel Ramos (reservations required).

If you go back to Cádiz for lunch, then check out Restaurante El Faro de Cádiz (www.elfarodecadiz.com). Balandro Restaurant would also be another good choice for lunch (www.restaurantebalandro.com) in Cádiz. Or head out to the Parador Hotel Atlántico and have lunch on their terrace.

The Museum of Cádiz is worth a visit (www.museosdeandalucia.es). You can also visit the cathedral in Plaza de la Catedral, walk along the walls of the Castillo de San Sebastián, which is now open to the public and visit the Museo de Vinos y Toros, which is like being in the heart and soul of Andalucia (www.vinosytoros.com). You should reserve this one online.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 01:14 PM

I've been in Cadiz twice, both as a cruise stop. First time I stayed in Cadiz and walked around on my own. I found it a very pleasant city and enjoyed that. Second time we went to Jerez on a ships tour, part of which was to go a sherry bodega. It was ok, but I wasnt that taken with it. I didnt go to the horse show since I have zero interest on that