Cadaques in September.

Search

Cadaques in September.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2023, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadaques in September.

We will be on holiday in Catalonia next summer (28th of August to the 8th of September) - our base is in wonderful Tossa de Mar.

We are planning a trip to Cadaques - having an overnight stay. I know that late August/early September is still considered "high season", so my question is:

Is it best to avoid Cadaques at weekend's - and will it be very crowded?

Will there be many daytrippers during weekend - and does the town calm a bit down on weekdays?

And is it possible to book a hotel on short-notice?

Hope some of you have a bit of advice for us.

Best regards Jan, Denmark
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 04:33 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe forum and tagged for France
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 06:40 AM

Shouldn't Cadaques be tagged for Spain? We have visited the area many years ago by car in September and didn't have trouble with crowds during the weekend at that time, but that was at least 15 years ago.
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpie
Shouldn't Cadaques be tagged for Spain? We have visited the area many years ago by car in September and didn't have trouble with crowds during the weekend at that time, but that was at least 15 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, as you already write, it is Spain.
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moderator3
Cadaques is in Catalonia, Northern Spain.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 10:00 AM

Jan I would be grateful if you give an idea on why you love Tossa. I liked Cadaques but in May years ago much was closed.

Looking for ideas for future stay on this coast. Love the idea of Begur. Just interested to learn more about difference between basing there or in Tossa. Interested in eating in Rosas also.

sorry this is off topic. Best of luck!!
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
Jan I would be grateful if you give an idea on why you love Tossa. I liked Cadaques but in May years ago much was closed.

Looking for ideas for future stay on this coast. Love the idea of Begur. Just interested to learn more about difference between basing there or in Tossa. Interested in eating in Rosas also.

sorry this is off topic. Best of luck!!
Hi. Thanks a lot.
My partner and I have had 3 fantastic holidays in Tossa and we are going back for 12 days this August.
Tossa is a lively holiday town, especially in June-September. What I like is that the town, has maintained a lot of charm and autencity, despite tourism. It has a lot of spanish feel to it, during weekends a lot of the visitors are Spaniards. Tossa is situated in beautiful surroundings, the old town with its old walls high on the cliffs. It's mostly low-rise buildings and the larger hotels are in outskirts of town. Tossa simply has a stunning location and a stunning beauty to it. I love the vibes if Tossa, no hectic night life or noisy bars - mainly a lot of restaurants, cafees and a few bars. Especially in weekends the place can be crowded during high season, but I still love the vibe there. You mention Begur, I have been there on daytrip and it's a very beautiful town. It's a bit inland, why I will not choose it as a holiday base. But it's lovely. I just prefer to stay on the coast, and I would be afraid that Begur will be too quiet for me, after the daytrippers leave. But Begur will be fine. If you search a quiter place than Tossa. I have never been to Roses, but sense it might be too touristy and many high rise hotels, which I hate. But I may be wrong. Hope there's some help to you in my description. Best regards Jan.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 09:25 PM

I don't know if this will help you. My husband and I were In Cadaques on a Thursday and Friday in October 2016. Even though our vacation did not coincide with Spanish school holidays, it did coincide with a two-week-long French school holiday. We stayed at Hotel Playa Sol, which was fully booked, mainly by French families. It made the breakfast buffet a little hectic, particularly at the toaster and egg boiler. We were told by Cadaques locals that the town was a popular vacation destination for French families who live close to the Spanish-French border. We didn't find the town to be oppressively crowded, just bustling.

From our hotel, we could walk to the Dali House Museum, which was fairly busy. So we were glad to have bought tickets in advance--and to have booked our hotel way in advance. It's a lovely town and we regretted not having spent another day or two, which would have given us the option of visiting Cap de Creus lighthouse.

I'm not sure when the autumn semester resumes for Spanish children; it might slightly vary by region. But I believe French children return to school by Friday, Sept. 1 or Monday, Sept. 4. So maybe consider going there toward the end of your trip.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diamantina
I don't know if this will help you. My husband and I were In Cadaques on a Thursday and Friday in October 2016. Even though our vacation did not coincide with Spanish school holidays, it did coincide with a two-week-long French school holiday. We stayed at Hotel Playa Sol, which was fully booked, mainly by French families. It made the breakfast buffet a little hectic, particularly at the toaster and egg boiler. We were told by Cadaques locals that the town was a popular vacation destination for French families who live close to the Spanish-French border. We didn't find the town to be oppressively crowded, just bustling.

From our hotel, we could walk to the Dali House Museum, which was fairly busy. So we were glad to have bought tickets in advance--and to have booked our hotel way in advance. It's a lovely town and we regretted not having spent another day or two, which would have given us the option of visiting Cap de Creus lighthouse.

I'm not sure when the autumn semester resumes for Spanish children; it might slightly vary by region. But I believe French children return to school by Friday, Sept. 1 or Monday, Sept. 4. So maybe consider going there toward the end of your trip.
Hi.
Thanks a lot for your reply - it is very helpful. From your description of the town, I'm sure Cadaques will be perfect for our taste. I like a lively town - Tossa which is our base is that, too. But I sense that Cadaques also has a special charm and authencity - and I'm sure we will like a lot. We will go there in the first week of September and I'm looking so much forward to it. best regards Jan
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 06:47 AM

Just to chime in about Roses. We have been 2-3 times mostly in late spring or early September. It is quite "touristy" but during those times, not too bad. What I most like about it is that it has long flat stretches where you can walk. With bad knees, I really can't stay in in places that are too hilly without having to drive, and since parking can be at a premium, it makes for a more stressful visit. Also, for families with young children or folks visiting with grandkids, the beach at Roses is ideal in the sense that it is very calm and very shallow out quite a ways-so very family friendly.

We do prefer to stay in properties a little bit closer to the Museu de la Ciutadella de Roses area which is where the main walking area into the village kind starts. One year we stayed at the Hotel Marina, which is a great location and has a paid parking garage, which we generally like since we typically drive from France.

http://www.hotelmarina-roses.com/

And we also stayed on other side of the Citadel (away from the town). I can't remember the name of that hotel, but there are numerous nice properties in that stretch all the way to the jetty. And all of them have lovely views and face on to the boardwalk there where you can walk quite a ways. That area tends to be quieter than staying in the middle of town
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpie
Just to chime in about Roses. We have been 2-3 times mostly in late spring or early September. It is quite "touristy" but during those times, not too bad. What I most like about it is that it has long flat stretches where you can walk. With bad knees, I really can't stay in in places that are too hilly without having to drive, and since parking can be at a premium, it makes for a more stressful visit. Also, for families with young children or folks visiting with grandkids, the beach at Roses is ideal in the sense that it is very calm and very shallow out quite a ways-so very family friendly.

We do prefer to stay in properties a little bit closer to the Museu de la Ciutadella de Roses area which is where the main walking area into the village kind starts. One year we stayed at the Hotel Marina, which is a great location and has a paid parking garage, which we generally like since we typically drive from France.

http://www.hotelmarina-roses.com/

And we also stayed on other side of the Citadel (away from the town). I can't remember the name of that hotel, but there are numerous nice properties in that stretch all the way to the jetty. And all of them have lovely views and face on to the boardwalk there where you can walk quite a ways. That area tends to be quieter than staying in the middle of town
Thanks for your description of Roses. Sounds like a very nice town....I have to visit it on my next trip to Costa Brava.
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Moderator3
Dear Moderator3. Cadaqués is Catalonia (Spain), not France. Thanks