Search

Cacio e pepe

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cacio e pepe

I’m enjoying Adoc86’s trip report (http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...wheelchair.cfm), which got me reflecting on my own recent cacao e pepe meal in Rome (we ate it at Taverna Romana in Monti). When I make it at home, it’s delicious but gooier than the cacao e pepe I had in Rome, which had an almost silky texture. I was wondering if that’s to do with not using fresh pasta, or if in some places in Italy they add oil olive oil along with the cheese…? Ideas or thoughts from cooks out there?
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 06:53 AM

I just made it for the first time based on that report. It was really good, didn't clump up and pretty silky as you describe, but the cheese stuck to the roof of our mouths a bit with the first bite! I'll be interested to follow any discussion!
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 07:29 AM

There is a restaurant in NYC that is named Cacio e Pepe and that is the signature dish, they same as described in the trip report.
http://www.cacioepepe.com/

There could be many reasons why it is gooier. You may be adding to much cheese. We, of course, do not make at home with a hollowed pecorino wheel but are careful to add the cheese carefully. The other thing may be that the pasta is not totally drained.

Ironically we are going to the restaurant Sunday evening. The dish is like crack.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Ha, it is like crack. I can almost smell it right now. One thing I've done to improve the consistency when making it at home is using two forks to mix in the cheese. The recipe I initially used had actually suggested this, but I'd skimmed over that part.

Kwren, if you like cacio e pepe, you might enjoy pasta alla gricia, which also pairs pecorino and pepper, but adds pancetta (or in some recipes, guanciale). Delicious. I like to make it with bucatini pasta.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 08:36 AM

tatie - that sounds delicious too. Do you saute the pancetta first or just add it in with the cheese?

Adu - My recipe for Cacio e pepe called for adding some of the water from the pasta, which I did. The texture was good, so I guess I'll continue that way, except I wish I knew why the cheese coated the inside of our mouths with the first bite! Any suggestions?

I may be going to Cacio e pepe at the end of the month just to try this dish there! I'm sure it will better than my try and hope I do get to go.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM

I make mine with tonarreli, and I sautée the pepper in 4 tablespoons of olive oil and add that to the pasta. My recipe also calls for adding some of the pasta water - just enough to get the sauce to a silky consistency.

Thanks for the reminder - I think we'll do a batch over the weekend!
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Kwren - I sautée about 4 ounces of pancetta (cut into matchsticks, per the recipe) in olive oil for about 3-4 minutes, then mix that into the finished pasta and toss with the cheese and a bit of extra pasta water.

StCirq - I may have to give your cacio e pepe method a try and see if it turns out silkier that way.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 10:50 AM

The texture was good, so I guess I'll continue that way, except I wish I knew why the cheese coated the inside of our mouths with the first bite

Maybe your mouth resembles a hollowed out pecorino wheel.

I am out of incorrect suggestions.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM

You always have to cook pancetta - it's like raw bacon. Prosciutto, on the other hand, does not have to be cooked.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 12:57 PM

<<Maybe your mouth resembles a hollowed out pecorino wheel.>>

Ahhhhh, that explains it!
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM

I happened to catch an episode of "America's Test Kitchen" today that featured this recipe, and attempted to jot it down. I haven't tried it myself yet, but here it is for what it's worth:

Finely grate 4 oz. imported pecorino romano.

Bring to boil 2 qts. water and 1.5 tsp. salt. (Note that this is less water than usual for cooking pasta.)

Add 1 lb. spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 9 mins.

Drain over serving bowl (using cooking water to warm bowl). Measure out and reserve 1.5 cups cooking water, and dump the rest.

Place pasta in warm serving bowl.

Whisk grated cheese with 1 cup reserved cooking water. Add 1.5 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, and (an unorthodox ingredient) 2 tbsp. heavy cream.

Toss with pasta in serving bowl. Add some or all of additional 1/2 cup reserved cooking water if necessary.
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Cream--that does seem a bit unorthodox! Thanks for the recipe, jahoulih.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 07:26 AM

I tried making cacio e pepe at home recently and it was pretty good. We've now scheduled a trip to Rome in June and I'm wondering if anyone has a place they can recommend to have this, made in the wheel of cheese (which would have been a bit difficult to do at home). I'd love to try the real version!

We'll be staying near Piazza Navona, so would prefer recommendations in that area, but for the best, of course would go further!

Adu - the cheese coated the inside of our mouths too! Wish I knew how to avoid that.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM

I second kwren... never having "real" cacio e pepe, I have made it at home several times, and as good as it tasted, I know Im going to be knocked backwards when I get the official Roman version!!!!! Im going in September and also would love any recommendations!!! (perhaps even a couple hour class that specializes this dish... we are taking a full day class in Firenze for the standards )
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Cacio e pepe is made *without* oil, pancetta or cream. It's in Italian, but watch this video of a Trasteverino (they consider themselves the truest Romans) making cacio e pepe:
http://www.puntarellarossa.it/2012/0...e-di-mr-clood/

Roma Sparita, a trattoria in Trastevere. reportedly serves its cacio e pepe in pecorino: not in a wheel but in a basket made of pecorino.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 11:54 AM

Ready - before going to Rome we are going to a tiny town 2-3 hours east of Rome in Abruzzo for a week of cooking classes! lt will be fun to learn to make pasta, desserts and whatever else they have planned for us. Can't wait, and I'm sure you can't wait either!
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Baudolino: Thanks!!! That place was already on my must-go-to list and its' even better now that I know what to get I very much appreciate that!

kwren: Im so jealous!! Man, I can't even imagine a week of cooking classes... Ive had no formal training, but I spend probably 10-15 hours a week in the kitchen (and I work full-time and have a one year old!! - Ha ha its obviously a passion of mine ) Please please make a trip report!
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 12:10 PM

When I've had cacio e pepe in Rome, the cheese was just a light coating. In fact, at one place, I overheard an American woman saying to her American dinner companion "I think they left out the cheese."

When we make it at home, the cheese has not coated the roof of our mouths, but we only add enough cheese to lightly coat the pasta - and we use some of the cooking water, though more like 1/4 cup, not an entire cup. I've also assumed that our version wasn't as good because we don't have access to fresh cacio cheese. Well, and because we weren't in Rome!

I think I'll need to make some soon, too!
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 12:15 PM

Ready - I will! This trip was through Groupon, so the great price made it even better. I'll want to hear about your cooking class too!

Lex - I didn't think we used too much cheese, and we only used water for mixing, but maybe I didn't follow a good recipe (I looked at about 5 before giving it a try.)
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:15 AM

of course Kwren Im hoping to do one of those "live" ones where I write whenever I hit wifi (and we are relaxing)! Those are my favorite to read, I THINK the most recent I read like that was "Jamikins and BikerScott hit Rome for New Years..." and it had me rolling in laughter... and at work too . I wasnt very sneaky at all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -