Cabs in Tallinn, Estonia

Search

Cabs in Tallinn, Estonia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabs in Tallinn, Estonia

i assume that cabs are relatively easy to catch outside the Tallinn airport? Do cab drivers speak English? Is it true that you have to negotiate a price before entering the cab? If anyone knows how I can arrange a safe ride to my hotel, I'd be ever so grateful.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:59 AM

There will be a line of cabs waiting at the airport. They all have meters, so no need to negotiate. I was there in June and it cost under 100 EEK to get to my central hotel. Traffic can be bad during rush hour, so if you get stuck you'd have to factor that into the cost. Fare information is posted in the taxis in English.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM

The cabs have meters but there is no set charging rate. The rates a taxi charges are shown on the rear window. If booking through an agent they may be able to arrange a private car for you, we did this - more expensive but no need to queue for a taxi or fret about fares.

When in Tallinn and wanting a taxi try to order one through a hotel or restaurant, they will usually get you a cab from a responsible company with fair rates.

Don't get one of the cabs that hang around the tourist spots, they tend to have high rates.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Is catching a cab relatively safe for a single female in Tallinn? I'm stressing here because I'm imaging that I won't get to my hotel and he'll take me somewhere else. Parnoid, I know!
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:07 AM

It is just as safe as everywhere else. Why would a taxi take you somewhere you donīt want to go?

BUT the taxi might drive you around a bit to get a longer ride. That happened to me and countless other people in the early 1990īs when people where not yeat familiar with the town.

Just act confident, like it is you 30th time in Tallinn, and you know every street.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:44 PM

Jen, haven't been to Tallinn yet -hear it's beautiful!

My suggestion - be sure you have your hotel (address, destination?) written down to present to the cab driver.

Years ago, my friend and I arrived in Paris on the Thalys train from Amersterdam, got a cab, and "told" the driver the name of our hotel on the Left Bank which was very well known. However, our French was faulty and it took us quite a while to make clear where we were headed.

Enjoy!