Cab to Reims from CDG

Search

Cab to Reims from CDG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab to Reims from CDG

How expensive would a cab be from Paris CDG airport to Reims? the only train to reims is 4 hours after we land.

is this affordable and safe?

Thanks!
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Well, of course it would be safe if you could actually find a driver to take you - which I kind of doubt - but it would be insanely expensive.

Four hours after you land isn't so long. It will take you an hour or quite possibly more to get out of the airport, just for starters. Then, if you need to get to the train station (were you planning to go directly from the station at CDG to Reims - is that possible?), another hour or so. So you'll only have an hour or two at the station before your train. Have a coffee, buy a sandwich for the ride - it will pass quickly.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. i was only wondering because we are pretty tight with our time in reims..we were only planning on spending an afternoon and an evening...hoping to get appointments at a couple of cellars and then move along the next day. train tickets for 2 are 60usd according to rail europe for that late train, do you think a cab would be more than that?

also, any thoughts on versailles? is it a must do in paris? my last trip i did not go, but some have said it is worth the extra cash/time.

thanks again for your help!
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 06:15 PM

To give you some idea, Airport Shuttle Cab will take you ONE WAY from CDG to Reims for 220euros PER PERSON if there are 4 or less of you.

Old Sep 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM

I thought the trains were more frequent than that. What time does your flight land?
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM

And don't buy from RailEurope.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM

If you're willing to go into Paris, you can catch the TGV leaving Gare de l'Est at 11:27 and arriving in Reims at 12:12. The fare for CDG-Gare du Nord on the RER B is €8.40. It's a five-minute walk from Gare du Nord to Gare de l'Est. Or you can transfer to the Metro on the same ticket and go one stop to Gare de l'Est.

While Rail Europe's fares usually are higher than booking on a national rail site, the $30 US for CDG-Reims via Champagne-Ardenne is better than you can get from voyages-sncf.com, at least for the standard 2nd class fare which is €29.30. The Prem's fare (only available well in advance online) is €16 which beats $30 US, but it's non-exchangeable and non-refundable. Still, since you're scheduled to arrive at CDG four hours before that train departs, you could safely book the Prem's fare.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Rail Europe shows a fare of $26 US for Paris-Reims which again is cheaper than the €29.30 standard 2nd class fare shown on voyages-sncf.com.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM

However, don't forget that with Rail Europe you have to pay a sizeable shipping fee.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM
ira

Hi AA,

www.voyages-sncf.com shows 15E PREMS fares for Paris/Reims.

You can print your ticket online.

>we were only planning on spending an afternoon and an evening...hoping to get appointments at a couple of cellars and then move along the next day. ...
also, any thoughts on versailles? is it a must do in paris?<

You are packing a lot into what could be a very tight schedule.

Mind giving us your itinerary?

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM

I agree that you have a tight schedule planned, and Reims is a wonderful town deserving at least a day and half. Here is how we spent our time:

After arriving at CDG around 11 am, we took the RER into Paris, and caught a train at Gare de l'Est after stocking up on some amazing pastries stuffed with sausage at a stand in the station for a late lunch.

We so enjoyed the train ride to Reims and seeing the countryside while munching our flaky sausage pies.

We arrived in Reims in late afternoon, too jetlagged to do much. We checked into a hotel, wandered the Christmas market (this was in November), found a cute cafe type place with an impressive selection of Champagnes, indulged in a nice bottle that came with its own tray of canapes, then had dinner and an early bedtime.

The next morning, we woke up raring to go and enjoyed the mini-croissants we found everywhere in Reims (not sure if the small croissant is traditional in this region or just our luck). We explored the cathedral, which is well worth an hour. I was especially entranced by the statue of Jean D'Arc in chain mail which is stunningly beautiful.

We took in the small art museum because I wanted to see the Corot collection. It was nice enough but could be missed if you are planning lots of museum visits in Paris.

After lunch we visited Taittinger for an excellent tour and tasting that probably took, all told, 2-3 hours if my memory is correct. We attempted Pommery but were turned away because of some special event that night.

We had dinner at Les Vignerons. The food was good- not out of this world gourmet, but the service was friendly and the champagne pairing menu provided a great chance to sample many bubblies from the region.

After a good night's sleep, we were up and out on the train back to Paris in the morning, and arrived just in time to check into our hotel and go out to lunch.

Enjoy your trip, however long you are able to stay in Reims. I would go back in a flash!

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your advice! i would love to fit reims into our trip but i keep hitting road block in train schedules on how to fit it in. here is our tentitive itinerary. unfortunatly we were not able to get an open jaw flight so we are doing round trip from paris cdg. and i am unsure in taking the train the last day from reims to cdg airport if we are leaving enough time for security adn check in. we would be arriving at the rail station a cdg only 2 hours before flight time.

1-arrive paris cdg 8:40am, take 11:42 train to nice, arrive 5:50
2-nice
3-nice
4-depart nice 330p arrive avignon 645
5-car to st. remy and surrounding towns
6-st. remy and surrounding towns
7-drive from st. remy to beaune
8-beaune
9-depart beaune 730a arrive paris 940a
10-paris
11-paris
12-depart paris 9am arrive 945 reims
29-depart reims 745 arrive cdg airport 843
flight depart 850.

thanks for any of your thoughts!

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

i apologize, our flight departs at 1050.

Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM

AA- if you are doing Reims at the end of the trip, why not train back to CDG at the end of the day and spend the night near the airport to avoid any issues(strikes, etc)?

While I loved Reims, I think the peace of mind is better than spending the night there.

I read a post recently that described a hotel (Hilton maybe) at CDG that looks over the runway and has super quiet rooms. That might be a nice rest before the h-ll that is air travel. You could have a leisurely breakfast before getting in the security lines.

Just a suggestion!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
a1139a

You asked about Versailles. It looks like you only have a three days in Paris--personally I would skip the side trip unless you've spent considerable time in the city on previous trips. I'd rather wander around Paris proper. Maybe you'd like some of the smaller museums like L'Orangerie or Conciergerie or Cluny.

www.hereinfranklin.wordpress.com

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
What about renting a car and driving?
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM

Reims has two train stations, the older station in the center, Reims-Gare and the new one, Champagne Ardenne, which is about 5 km south of the town.
The TGV's starting from Reims-Gare stop in Paris-Est. The trip takes 45 mn.
Champagne Ardenne has 3 direct trains everyday to and from Paris CDG. The trip takes only 30 mn (less than the RER from CDG to Paris).

Fares for one way tickets start at 15 € if you book in advance (billet Prem's)