Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A day and a half in Stockholm-whats the most important places to visit?

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay-I have a two day layover that translates to a day and a half in Stockholm. I am taking my 23 year old daughter with me and we are definitely going to the Vassa museum,the icebar and the changing of the guard at the palace-what else is a must see for this weekend and time of the year?With prices so high this might be our only visit so help us out with suggestions of restaurants or sites-we are staying in the Old Town section. Thanks!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:13 AM

You're going the old town island "Gamla Stan" which also has many nice restaurants and beautiful architecture.

A scenic walk along Stockholm's water front is the highlight of any visit to the city. find your way to the old town's east coast (it's a tiny island) then cross the bridge as you walk north. Turn right and keep walking while taking in the glorious scenery.

The biggest and most well known Swedish department store is called NK, where you don't have to shop but you could just go there and have desserts and coffee at one of their cafes.

Across the street from NK there is a big fountain, so if you walk towards the fountain and continue walking along that street, you would get to the another main shopping street.

Get a map from the hotel front desk and have them show you the main downtown streets and you'll be fine. The city isn't really that big and you'll have a great time in two days. Stockholm is truly wonderful, so have fun and enjoy your trip.

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Right near the calace where the changing of the guards happens is the old town. Walk through for sure, and enjoy.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM

ughh sorry about the fragmented typos of the first sentence! I'll read my posts before posting next time.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Visit the City Hall, where they have the Nobel Prize gala. You can only see it on guided tours - which are frequent throughout the day and offered in many languages. The Vassa Museum is a must. One of the finest museums we've visited.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM

I know lots of people like the Vasa Museum and it's probably a must-see, but when we were there, I was underwhelmed.

Life in Stockholm seems to revolve around the water, so our Swedish friends suggested we take a boat ride. Here is an except from our trip report, describing our day on the water:

"Today we take the train into Stockholm then we switch to the subway and finally take the ferry over to VAXHOLM. The ferry ride takes 1 hour and 20 minutes. It is on a charming older-style ferry, with wooden decks and wooden seats outside. There is also a more modern ferry, which takes 50 minutes. We plan to take that one home.

Part of Vaxholm is a tiny island which has played an important role in Sweden’s naval history. We take another ferry ride over to the tiny island, which has a large fort on it. We walk around the perimeter of the island first. Along the way, there are various cannons and guns on display. The kids enjoy climbing all over them and simulating military battles.

Then, we go into the VAXHOLM (WAXHOLM) FASTNINGS MUSEUM. Inside the fort is this great museum. First, we see the movie. It is very well done and illustrates Sweden’s history as a naval power, taking over Norway and Finland at various times. The museum is very interesting for all of us. The explanations at each display are in Swedish, but there is a booklet with English translations which they give us."

If you are in the neighborhood, SALUHALLEN is an indoor farmer's market which has food stands. It's a great place to stop for a quick lunch. We ate at TYSTA MARI and had skagenrora (a cold baby shrimp, crawfish, mayonnaise and dill salad) served over hot baked potatoes. I tried this dish several times during our trip and TYSTA MARI's was the best.

We only sampled a few restaurants, but our favorite was CLAUS PA HORNET which our Swedish friends picked out for us as they thought it would be an upscale restaurant serving Swedish specialties. Our appetizers were herring and toast skagen, which is toast covered with shrimp, mayonnaise and dill. Our entree was Swedish meatballs in cream sauce, mashed potatoes, lingonberries and marinated cucumbers and our friends had saffron fish stew.

One place I would not rush back is SJATTE TUNNAN, a restaurant in Olde Town (Gamla Stan), which serves medieval (traditional) Swedish food. The atmosphere is fun though, lit by candles and served by waitresses in costume.

One thing I found very interesting was the street food. On our way to the Vasa Museum, we stopped at a kiosk for some Swedish fast food. I had a wrap, made with tunnbrod (thin bread), similar to a flour tortilla. It was filled with a hot dog, mashed potatoes, shrimp salad, lettuce, onions, ketchup and mustard. A strange combination to say the least. But when our Swedish friend said she just loved these, I had to try it and it was pretty good.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Leaving tomorrow so keep those tips coming-thanks!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:07 AM

The other standard attraction not yet mentioned is Skansen. It's an outdoors museum chronicling Swedish culture. If memory serves it's somewhat near Vasa and you should be able to combine the two.

If you're interested in architecture, Asplund's library is worth a visit (it looks interesting from photos, though I've never been). I went to his cemetery, however (it's a Unesco World Heritage site).
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM

IF the weather is nice, my votes would be fore Millesgarden, the sculpture garden created by Carl Milles. Also, if the trees have started changing their colors, check out Haga Park, just north of downtown about 1 km. It has the king's summer palace. Walk up Sveavagen (from the central shopping district) and you'll run right into it.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Back from Stockholm and loved it! Expensive but really a beautiful city and one that I want to return to very soon.
Highlights-
My daughter and I REALLY enjoyed the Vassa museum. In fact, upon walking into the museum it took my breath away!(I consider myself well traveled and it was up there with the Eiffel Tower,Colliseum,etc.) Even if you are not a "boat person" you will be overwhelmed by the history and the process of reclaiming it from the Stockholm harbor.
The museum is well planned and with a viewing of the 25 minute video and 20 minute free guided tour you can enjoy this museum with its various levels for viewing. We were actually there for 4 hours that included a wonderful reasonably priced lunch(swedish meatballs,potatoes and lingonberries) at the museum restaurant.
The ABSOLUT Ice Bar-okay, its touristy but fun and an experience!I made reservations online before we went and it was definitely a memory.The reservation is for a 45 minute period( we stayed longer) and includes one drink for 180 kroners(about $29 USD). Extra drinks are 95 kroners and are served in ice glasses. You are given heavy ponchos with attached gloves and hoods. The temp inside was 24 F which for us was not that cold but then we are from Chicago....need I say more?
The ice is brought down from the Thorne River in Lapland twice a year from a certain bend in the river that is totally pure-they form it into the bar,sofas,ice sculptures,etc. Take your camera as it is great fun!
Plan on including Stockholm in your Scandinavian visit-truly a gem!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:25 PM

Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad you enjoyed the Vasa. I had similar feelings about the Ice Bar - fun, but touristy. I never knew where they got the ice from...