buying SNCF tickets from US

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to buy TGV tickets from Paris to Bordeaux on the SNCF site and am having a dickens of time. I don't see the U.S. anywhere in their "annex" of countries. Neither does it explain where I must pick up the tickets if I buy from the U.S. I did this two years ago with no trouble at all -- this time when I purchased the tickets -- the SNCF's confirmation said Thank you very much we will be delivering your tickets to your home! I don't know how, as I did not put my address anywhere on the site! Anyone recently purchase train tickets on the SNCF site? HALP!

Teresa
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:42 PM

try STA Travels ..I found them quite efficient.
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:53 PM

The US isn't in the annex of countries because they will not deliver to the US (or Canada, I think). So, you must have put something in as to where you were as that's on the first page--I put France and I think it defaults to that, but I don't recall. YOu have to put France and then say you will pick them up.

You obviously did not click the correct thing as to ticket disposition -- because you must say you are going to pick them up, you get a choice. If it said it will deliver them, you must have picked that (or left it as that, I'm not sure). If you didn't put your address in anywhere, it's possible it sends them to the address of the credit card you used, I suppose, as a security measure. Otherwise, I don't know what it does.

Yes, I have purchased tickets from them, but I did not tell them to deliver, but said I'd pick them up in France.
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:56 PM

oh, as to where to pickup, the site does say that in the terms somewhere, I know because I've read it. Also, I guess it may seem obvious to SNCR that you'd pick them up at a train station where you'd get any train ticket, or that you'd know where to pick them up if you were buying them on their web site -- maybe that's what they figure. I don't know what you should do now -- if you didn't give a credit card number, I'd start over as it will be invalid. If you did, you are paying for them and I wouldn't know where they'd go, but you should maybe email and ask them -- if you got an email, you have an email address.
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:03 PM

Another approach is to phone Euraide. Euraide, who have offices in Florida and Germany: http://www.euraide.de/. Telephone in USA 1 941-480-1555. Fax 1 941-480-1522. E-mail [email protected]

[email protected]
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Christina is correct. Assuming you are using the English site (the French one is actually easier to work with, if you speak French), leave FRANCE where it says location for pickup. Then proceed through the rest of the site. DO give your name and address, etc. - they need that for credit card info, not for delivery purposes. Then give your payment info and print out your confirmation slip. Take it with you to France. You can pick up your tickets at any train station or SNCF boutique. I would NOT go for the option to get your tickets in France from one of the automatic ticket machines unless you're familiar with how they work. Give yourself enough time to stand in line a bit to pick the tix up,and be sure you have the same credit card with you that you used on the website.
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:11 PM

I think your best option is to call SNCF directly to their English-speaking site at [011-33] 8-92-35-35-39 seven days a week from 7 am to 10 pm daily (French time) to see if they can trace the purchase. Do you have a confirmation number or did they send you a confirmation e-mail?
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:41 PM

I believe that you can also buy your PREM tickets on line and actually print them off at your own printer!
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:51 PM

I just received our TGV and EuroStar tickets 3 days after ordering them from rail-europe 800/438-7245, with an English-speaking agent. Checked on online at www.raileurope.com. It was the same price. I don't know if other sites are less expensive but it was a breeze on the telephone.
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:53 PM

I bought 3 PREM tickets from Avignon to Paris for 75 dollars..I did not have any trouble printing them and I saved a bundle doing that...
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:51 PM

I've tried to buy recently but for some trains, it says that they are not sold through this website (SNCF.com). Does anyone know where these can be purchased at?

Also is it really necessary to purchase now or can I wait till I get there? Do trains often sell out?
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:41 AM

Duggan, for the SNCF, you can buy your tickets up to 2 months in advance and usually they are cheaper this way . I dont know when you are leaving or where are you going, so I cant answer your last question....
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:04 AM

I ordered my tickets online at the SNCF site - I think it also told me the tickets would be delivered. However, they were not (US destination). I was able to pick the tickets up at a SNCF Boutique at CDG while waiting for our luggage. It was rather simple and there was no line. They will request to see the charge card you used to purchase them (I think just to verify who you are). Good Luck!
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:06 PM

I was planning two one day trips to Tours and Bayeux from Paris.

Bayeux seemed pretty straight-forward but the Tours one gives me that odd "Tickets cannot be purchased from this website" for the TGV. Since these are obviously quicker, they look better. I just can't tell how much they cost as they won't quote prices.
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Can I print the tickets even though I am in the U.S.? Will they accept those? I bought one leg of the trip with no problem --CDG to Bordeaux. I am not trying to buy the next leg -- Bordeaux to Paris Montparnasse, and the only options it will give me are either to get them delivered, or to print them. They will allow me no other option with this ticket. I don't know why. Perhaps because it is so cheap -- 50 euros for two. I am leary of buying them, printing them, and then finding out they are worthless because they can only be printed in certain countries. Has anyone printed out tickets in the U.S. and then used them successfully?

Teresa
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Am interested in the PREM tickets mentioned - is this noted on SNCF site?
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:34 PM

You can print them anywhere in the world and they will be valid. The difference betweens the ones you can print and the ones you have to pick up is the ones you print are deep discounted and are non refundable, non exchangable, non modifiable.
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:16 PM

Have any of you from the US or Canada actually used a PREM ticket that you printed? I have two that I hope to use on June 7 (assuming the trains are running!) and it would be reassuring to know that you were able to use yours with no problem.
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:52 AM

I too am interested in buying tickets from SNCF site and if I choose to pickup the tickets at a SNCF station, it says I must pay and pickup before June 6th. The tickets are for July. Any feeback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Gina,

You must only PAY for, but not pick up your tickets by a certain date.

You can pick up your prepaid tickets anytime before the train leaves, though I would recommend doing this a day or two before your trip, as you never know how long the queues at the station will be.

Hope this helps,
Andre

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -