Search

buying navigo decouverte

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying navigo decouverte

hello fodorites,

we are planning to purchase navigo decouverte passes while in paris. we will be staying on ile de la cite for our trip.

can you pleas tell me:

1. are there any metro stations near by (i.e. St. Michel, Chatelet) that have MANNED ticket booths where we can buy the navigo decouverte?

2. do we pay in cash or can we use credit cards?

thanks!!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Lilaki - here's the link for you to sign up, create a password, and buy the pass online: https://www.navigo.fr/pages/formulaire/index.php.

This pass was formulated specifically for people living on Ile de la Cite, and there is a stop on the island, as well as closeby ones where you can cross a bridge if you get off before the Cite stop; here's the link to the Metro map, which you'll need to scroll over and down to locate Cite: http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...tro&fm=gif. You shouldn't have any trouble following the French to buy your pass online. Happy travels.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

hi sandra,

thanks for this information.

i'm a bit confused though as i technically am not a 'resident' - we're just in paris for a week.

i'd like to visit a station when we arrive to buy a the pass.

thanks.

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Chatelet/les Halles is a huge station and should definitely have ticket windows to help you. I'm going to be learning this process soon myself.

I'm pasting in a post from another thread with some instructive verbage that might help:

<font color="green">http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35118951
Author: Bindo
Date: 03/26/2008, 07:18 pm
We travelled to Paris last week (March 14- 23) and I thought that I’d share our experiences as first time Navigo users. On our many trips to Paris before, we have always bought carnets and used individual tickets. But after much research on this forum (thank you to all who have shared their knowledge and advice), I felt that we should take the plunge and buy Navigos.

We purchased our Navigo Decouverte cards at the Invalides metro station –I had hoped that we could buy them from someone a ticket office. Instead, this particular metro entrance only had an information window with an exceptionally kind and helpful woman. We explained to her what we wanted to buy and showed her our photos which I had brought from home. She then came out of the office and walked us over to the machine where she showed us how to purchase the Navigo Decouverte pass. We bought 4 at 5 euros each with cash. The machine spit out 4 tickets which the lady told us to bring to her information window. There, she redeemed the tickets for 4 Navigo passes. I must say at this point, the Navigo cards are substantial-hard plastic. She had each of us sign our card and she herself attached our photo and laminated the card for us. I think we would have figured out what to do, but it was so nice to have her do it the right way so we had no doubts.

Then she came back out of her office and took us back to the ticket machine to show us how to load the Carte Orange fares onto the cards. Each card was dealt with separately. There is a holder on the machine where you must place the card (either side out is ok). Then the ticket machine leads you through a series of instructions -it’s really simple. The nice woman did the first 3 and then let me do the 4th so that I would know how to do it in the future. We paid cash, each time, to the ticket machine as our credit cards are not equipped the proper chip.

We used the passes on both the bus and the metro for the week (Monday-Sunday) and bought one carnet for the weekend that we arrived. In general, we love the Navigo card for its convenience. It was so easy to locate in my bag and wave at the turnstile.

Hope this information might help someone else.</font>
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Hi Lilaki, we bought these passes when we were in Paris in June this year and staying right near the RER Luxembourg stop which is only a stop or two from St Michel. There is a ticket booth with a real live person!! She sold us our Navigo passes with no trouble and she only had limited English. The whole process took about 5 minutes and we now have passes that we can continue to use in Paris for the next 10 years. The actual pass is 5 euros and then you add one week's worth of credit (about 16 euros from memory). We paid with cash, I'm not sure if you can use a credit card. Take a SMALL passport size photo each and stick them on where indicated. If you find that your photo is too large, then it's ok to trim them with scissors. It's really easy and such good value. I'm sure that Chatelet will also have manned booths as it's HUGE!! I've heard that the passes are meant for residents, but the ticket seller suggested that we should purchase Navigo, so I'm confident that it's the right pass to get. Sorry if I've rambled on a bit!

Wish I was going to Paris......
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM

I posted at the same time as Travelnut - I think the Navigo is confirmed as the way to go!!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Thanks Travelnut-- I've been trying to find that old thread because I still need to learn to load fares. I got the card last year, but that was during the subway strikes so it hasn't been loaded or used yet.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM

bookmark
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 05:11 PM

I think most central Paris metro stations have a staffed booth open during regular business hours, if not longer. We bought ours easily at the CDG RER ticketing room, and our daughter got hers later at the Gare d'Austerlitz train station with no problem. I would try any metro you happen to be in--most will work out fine. And you can use a credit card.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:15 AM
bdj

Has anyone purchased the Navigo at Gare du Nord? If so, where inside the facility relative to arriving on the Eurostar and how did the process play out?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The <b>Navigo</b> is for residents.
The <b>Navigo D&eacute;couverte</b> is for tourists.

The &quot;Club RATP&quot; agencies (of which there are 23 inside Paris metro and train stations - the list is available on the RATP website) have digital cameras. When I had my card replaced, they took the photo themselves. I don't know if they do this for tourists, but there's no harm in asking. Most of the Club RATP offices open at 7:00 or 7:30 and close anywhere between 18:30 and 20:00.