Buying luggage for the trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2008, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to get a new piece of luggage for our trip. Can anyone recommend a large duffle or a suitcase. It would be for my husband. We will be gone for 16 days and although we will have a car some of that time we want something that is easy to lift. I hope we can wash but maybe not. Thanks. I need input.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM
ira

Hi I,

I don;t think that he needs anything larger than a 21" carryon.

We have Two American Tourister wheeled cases that we like.

Got them at WalMart.

Old Jun 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM

Avoid the "large duffle" like the plague. Once in Italy you will rue the day you bought it. Pack light, pack light, pack light.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 11:25 AM
esm

Another vote for a smaller suitcase. Also make sure the suitcase is lightweight.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM

I'm joining the chorus for smaller suitcases. We just did our driving trip in France in April. We thought we were doing good to have 1 26" bag each with carryon. Now they weren't really (we thought) heavey - about 40 lbs each. However, we now say our next trip will be 21" bags. Because so many places we stayed didn't have elevators, we found ourselves pulling clothes out of the bigger bags and putting them in the small carry-ons to lug up the stairs. Because our trip included at least one hotel with laudry capabilities we said we could have just done that instead of lugging the bigger bags. Not to mention our rental car had to be a little bigger. So - smaller bag
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM

YOu can get a soft-sided carry-on duffle with wheels that will fit in the 21" maximum box.

The soft-side style may be important for getting carry-on successully.I saw a tip from an airlines employee. She said that sometimes even if your rigid-side carryon is not over the 21" maximum, if the plane is crowded they may come through and make you check it. IT's because it's harder to get it into the overhead bin, and it won't "give" if the bins are jammed. And the guy next to u with a soft- side 21" bag gets to keep his.

There is lots of guidance on this website (under Pack light) on how to go 2+ weeks with a carry-on. I'm guessing this may be one of your first trips to Europe?? Learn from our mistakes... he can get along with 3 pr slacks, 5 knit shirts, 1 LS shirt n summer. Learn to wash, or to find laundromats... they ARE around.