Buying Gold in Italy...

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 02:29 PM
lynn

Buying Gold in Italy...

Hi -

I usually buy gold in Asia but we're going to be in Italy next year (I've never been) and I was wondering what types of deals people get on things.

Do they weigh it and you pay a per gram price? Do they bargain? And what's the best city to buy it in? Small town, big town, special town?

Thanks for any info.

Lynn

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 02:42 PM
kam

All gold jewelry will be 18 karat so it will be hard to compare prices with those in the U.S. Yes, they do weigh it but there's also the artistic merit to consider. Buy it in the smallest town you will be visiting, never in Rome and not on the Ponte Vecchio unless you realize you're paying a premium and just love the piece too much to pass it up. I have only bought gold in northern Italy where bargaining is out, but you may always ask politely if the price is their "best one". Sometimes they will lower it by a bit. Bargaining like in other parts of the world isn't done in Northern Italy. Also look for lapis and coral if you like them as well as enameled jewelry. Arezzo is a good town for jewelry.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Andy

I usually buy my jewelry on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence-the styles are too numerous to pick from--yes,they do weigh the piece--just bought 18kt for $14-15 gram at S.Vaggi on the corner of the Ponte Vecchio on the Duomo side of the bridge. Have been buying on Ponte Vecchio for years and always got good prices...Ask for Roberto. You can even email him right before you go to make sure he has specific pieces for you. I have tried to compare prices to other jewelry stores off the Ponte Vecchio, and found the selection too good and prices very good to warrent going anywhere else.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Paul

If you're paying in cash, you can ALWAYS ask for a discount in Italy.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 08:28 PM
kam

Andy, if you think Florence and the Ponte Vecchio is a bargain, let me tell you of better places.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 06:49 AM
carol

Kam--tell us all!

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 07:22 AM
kam

Arezzo is a good town for jewelry as is Lucca, but the one I always go to is Castelnuovo Garfagnana, northeast of Lucca. The shop there starts with a G--"Guilia" I recall. It's in the middle of the little town, on a corner, you can't miss it. They have another shop in Lucca and yes, you can always ask for their best price, but no real bargaining. BTW, the exchange rate right now is very good. Happy shopping.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Andy

Kam- thanks for the good info--however, I stated Ponte Vechio because we have always gone to FLorence from either Livorno or Portovenere from a cruise ship or taken a train into town---have not had to good luck to drive thru Italy to hit these little towns--but would love to!! Thanks