Buying cell phones at Paris CDG airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experience in purchasing cell phones at Paris CDG airport and if this is even possible? If not, is it better to buy a cell phone and SIM card before leaving US? I want to have a working one prior to traveling to Normandy from Paris CDG. Any insight? Thanks!
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:53 PM

My recommendation would be to ask around at work, friends, family...as you'll probably find people who've "upgraded" and tossed their "old" GSM phone in a drawer. If not already unlocked, they usually can be.

One of the most economical SIMs - LeBara - is usually available at a Relay shop at CDG, but you may have to visit more than one, as they're often out of them.

If you want to be certain of having a working SIM on landing, take a look at Call in Europe, Roam Simple, etc.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Good advice above. People have reported buying SIMs at CDG
but I've never heard of anyone picking up a phone there. You'd think there'd be a market for them.

Take a look for an unlocked quad band GSM phone before you go... in addition to the sources djkbooks mentions above, I have seen new ones for as little as $30 at online retailers like newegg.com and tigerdirect.com

If you pick up a phone from a third party you can get it unlocked for 20 or 30 dollars... I was in a large mall today and saw 2 of the little cell phone accessory kiosks with signs offering unlocking and jailbreaking service.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Anyone with a discarded phone can easily obtain the unlock code from the provider so long as their account is in good standing.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your good suggestions! I appreciate your input!
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 04:11 AM

I think you will be disappointed if your plans include purchasing a mobile phone at CDG or any other airport in the world (though I suppose it might be possible somewhere). It is possible to purchase a SIM and I recommend you find a Lebara SIM as others are also available but not at the low rates Lebara offers.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 04:34 AM

>>>Anyone with a discarded phone can easily obtain the unlock code from the provider so long as their account is in good standing.<<<

Not where I live.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 12:57 PM

As mentioned, if you are in the US and a customer of AT&T or Tmobile, they will unlock any of their phones, upon request, as long as the customer is in good standing.