L'Ami Louis? (Paris)

Search

L'Ami Louis? (Paris)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L'Ami Louis? (Paris)

A comment on another thread prompted me to think about this place of which I have heard such raves over the years. I would love to hear from people who have eaten there. What did you eat? How was the overall feel of the place? Total tourist scene? Approximate price? And is there anything (their style of roast chicken?) offered here that cannot be found at similar quality someplace else in the city? Bottom line is that I am wondering if I should make the effort and spend the money to dine there at least once. Thanks!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

anyone??
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:05 PM

My husband and I had friends who were friends with the L'Ami Louis owners. When we went the 2nd time to Paris, they called their friends and made a reservation for us.
We were there in the fall, I had the roast chicken and fries.. I honestly cannot say if it was the best I have ever had, everything in Paris thrilled me and I loved everything. It was very expensive, the food was good,and there was a lot of it! the people were very nice to us.
That is all I can say~
I hope you go to find out for yourself
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:33 AM

Since there doesn't seem to be a lot in the way of first-hand knowledge I'll offer a hunch. I did find a few reviews: One in Pudlo Paris, another, Fodor's online, and a third, very brief, on a French-language Web site which suggested that the average price of dinner with drinks was 150 to 175 euros per person. I suspect you can eat as well or better in a number of Paris restaurants that charge less.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:43 AM

And I do mean with extremely pleasant atmosphere and good service. (Mind you, this is the opinion of an unreconstructed contrarian who rarely spends that kind of money for a meal.) Some people are attracted to certain establishments because of the "buzz" and there's nothing wrong with that. But what's "in" changes very, very quickly in Paris. If one hears of a place more than once or twice, it's probably already "over" or about to be.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. Dave, I know the price is very high. I am curious mainly because RW Apple of the NY Times often rhapsodizes about this place and he is a real food lover not interested in any buzz. I have heard about it for years and it is very hard to get a reservation so I wonder, who is filling all the tables and why are they filled at those high prices when It is far from a trendy place. Many cookbooks and food writers talk with awe about their roast chicken and potato/garlic cake so I am just wondering if it is worth it to put it on my list for next fall. Thanks!
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:21 AM

I haven't been there, but if you want it, its worth it.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:53 AM

I was puzzled by the relative lack of reviews, finally just noting that the name of the restaurant is Chez L'Ami Louis. So I'll look again under the Cs, and also inquire of colleagues if any of them have ever dined there.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:02 AM

All right, one very, very quick review from a colleague, a Paris old-timer, who acknowledges he ate there "years ago."

His verdict: "terrific." Definitely have the foie gras and the chicken.

He also says it may be hard to get a reservation if you ask with an accent. So if you decide to go, have the concierge call.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:16 AM

There are so many wonderful restaurants in Paris, I'm not sure I'd get all bent out of shape if I missed this place. It's not like people are jumping on a bandwagon here or on any other travel forums...
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I know there are loads of fabulous places in Paris; I was just interested in first hand reviews of this place since it gets so much write-up in the food press. Would like to hear if people think it was worth the money and the hassle of reserving. I should say I am not too interested in multi-Mich-starred places; prefer to have a more relaxed atmosphere such as L'Ami Louis and many others offer. I am more interested in the food itself; less so in the atmosphere and level of service. The price is very, very high; just wanted to hear if people think the place is worth experiencing it once. It would turn me off if I learned that most of the other diners there are tourists. I belive this to be true at dinner, but not at lunch, but would love to hear more about it. RW Apple, who is a real food lover and very knowledgeable about Paris, celebrated his 70th birthday here and the dinner was chronicled in Gourmet magazine a few months back.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:29 PM

ekscrunchy,

>>"I am more interested in the food itself; less so in the atmosphere and level of service. The price is very, very high; just wanted to hear if people think the place is worth experiencing it once. It would turn me off if I learned that most of the other diners there are tourists.<<"

If you are mostly interested in just the food and not the atmosphere and level of service I am curious as to why you would be so turned off if you found tourists there? Any tourist who can afford the place would certainly be a credit to his species. Aren't you a tourist? If you ever do want "atmosphere" try McDonald's at the "Grand Arch" at La Defense or MCDonald's at the corner of rue de Commerce and Blvd.de Grenelle....really.

Anyway, I hope you have a great Paris experience in my second home town.

Larry J

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Larry: Why, on the basis of my comments, would you suggest that I visit La Defense and in particular, their MdDo's? If a place is really good, and offers excellent food of the region, it will be patronized by locals as well as visitors. In my experience, places that are very high in price and dependent on tourists for the majority of their clientele are places that I might prefer to avoid. Your comment "...any tourist that could afford the place would be a credit to his (!!) species.." or some such...what does that mean? Credit to being a tourist? I asked for opinions from people who have dined at L'Ami Louis..care to offer a comment on your experiences there? Or perhaps on another place of that ilk: Chez Georges, Benoit (pre- or post-Ducasse)?? Paris is your second home so perhaps you can point us in the direction of some good, casual eating spots with excellent regional food. Can your offer some helpful hints on dining in your second home? Thanks!
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 06:49 AM

As promised, here are the observations of a collague, who last ate at L'Ami Louis two years ago. I have edited out some remarks of a personal nature.

"This is the place to go if you want a great
feeling for old Paris, your one fling of a trip here. Everything is big,
including the portions and the bill. We tried to be abstemious at lunch and
ordered two first courses for three people, foie gras and escargots. The
one order of foie gras consisted of three thick slices. The single order of
escargots was a dozen snails. Both were over-the-top excellent. For the
main course, the two of us ordered the roast lamb for two and our friend
ordered the grilled veal. The waiter asked us if we wanted the rib or leg
portion; we chose the rib. The order was enormous, a large amount of meat
on tiny ribs, the skin crispy and golden, and the meat simply delicious,
seasoned with, I think, just salt, pepper and thyme. We could not
finish the plate and our friend could not eat all of his veal chop, which I
tasted and found to be cooked just right, veal being the only meat that I
find best when cooked through with no rareness. The accompaniments were
potatoes, two ways. First, there was a plate of potatoes fried in some
lovely fat - duck, goose or whatever - in a black cast iron frying pan, a
signature dish of L'Ami Louis, and a plate of thin shoestring pommes
frites. We had two bottles of the best burgundy I could find at even close
to a reasonable price (about $50 a bottle) and only our friend could manage
dessert. The bill totaled 373 euos for three people.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

WOW!!!!! Thank you, Dave. Sounds like I just may have to save up and take the plunge next time..if I can get a table!!
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 08:13 AM

The comments are from at least two years ago. I think you should try Chez L'Ami Louis for yourself and decide. Seriously what is considered excellent to another person may be true for you too or you may disagree. It's all a matter of personal opinion. For example, I didn't mind eating at Le Coupe Chou but others elsewhere said it's a tourist trap, management is rude, blah blah blah. On the other hand the same people complimented Le Vieux Bistro saying how great the food is, calling it one of the last 'vrai' bistros remaining, etc. I ate there and thought it was just okay.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Yes, thanks, Franco. I agree. It is very hard to know the tastes of someone else recommending a place to eat and how those tastes merge with one's own. But L'Ami Louis has received so much attention from food writers who I respect. That, together with Dave's friend's description of his meal there is so compelling that I cannot stop fantasizing about it. It is firmly on my list! I googled the place and came up with more accolades...sounds like a not-to-be missed classic Parisian experience. I will let you know after I visit..not until next October, I am afraid! Chez Georges is another one that gets cited as a great Parisian bistro; surprisingly, it gets little attention on this site...wonder why? I just may have to give that one a try as well!
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 10:14 AM

Last March we tried to get reservations for Sunday dinner. The concierge from the Hotel Meurice tried to reserve a table for 2 one month in advance and all that was available was 6pm or 10pm....neither times were good for us and we ate elsewhere. So we are going to Paris again in March. What is the trick to getting dinner reservations there???
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Wow...amazing that even the Meurice could not get you in at your preferred time, and that long in advance. Wish I knew the secret..maybe someone will help out here.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM

Those times, 6 p.m. or 10 p.m., may indicate two dinner seatings, four hours apart, so no one who comes at 6 p.m. is rushed. If this is indeed what they're doing, there would be no other starting time in the evening. In that case, glsebs experience wouldn't necessarily indicate extreme difficulty in obtaining a reservation. But if you object to dining with other visitors to Paris, you wouldn't want to accept a 6 p.m. seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -