Buying a travel pillow in Lisbon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2014, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the never ending flight between Australia and Lisbon DH managed to lose his travel pillow. This wasn't just any old thing, but a goose down filled pillow that rolled up into a carry bag. We had bought them from L L Bean ( at great expense, I might add) .

So I'm not too hopeful of finding a replacement here in Lisbon, but as we are only at the beginning of our travels, I'm asking just in case there's someone here with enough local knowledge to be able to solve this problem.

I realise we can pick up something from the next a airport we hit, but am particularly looking for the goose down model; it doubles so well for an extra pillow if the ones wherever we are staying are not so comfortable.

Fingers crossed, Di
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 04:44 AM

If you don't get a precise answer here, consider going into a travel agency and asking where you might find a high end luggage & travel store in Lisbon.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that suggestion, Sandra - I hadn't come up with that idea. Di
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 05:08 AM

Try this-
http://www.10best.com/destinations/p...el-gear-shops/
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 05:12 AM

Just as traveling exposes you to how things can be accomplished in different ways, you might find more options for an acceptable solution by looking at the issue in different ways.

One can look at this as:
<i>Product --> solution</i>
But this constrains you into finding "that" particular product.

A more general way is:
<i>type of product --> solution</i>
To look for something close to it. If not goose down, other synthesis fills.

To look this issue in even more general ways, thus affording more options:
<i>property of product --> solution</i>

I have had problems and used to carry three memory form pillows for travel. This used to take enormous amount of carry-on space. After years of continual experimentation, I realized that the inflatable airplane neck pillow or other small inflatable pillows can be stuffed in a custom made pillow case to also function as a "reasonable" substitute for sleeping pillows. The space taken by my pillows is now less than a size of my fist when deflated and folded. The airplane pillow, usually not used until the return leg, is now used every night also as my sleeping pillow. Less space + more uses.

When I hear other travelers going to the same destination look at me with just a 20" carry on, they would say, "That is not for me." They might carry non compressible airplane pillows. Yes, it is MORE comfortable than the inflatable pillows. But the deeper question is, is the difference so large that they are willing to allocate a lot of space in their luggage for two weeks when they are using pillows only during part of their flights?
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

As I already explained, Greg, we use these pillows all through our trip, definitely not just the plane journey.

Thanks DMN - that's just the sort of helpful advice I need; I had no idea that website existed. A few of the stores are quite close to us here, so it will be easy to check them out. Di