Search

With a baby pram to Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a baby pram to Lisbon

Hi,
We are going to Lisbon at the end of January with 2 kids.
Wondering which pram to take for our 10 mon old baby - our ordinary comby pram (Teutonia Rocky model) with robust pumped wheels or a buggies/sulky model?
Considering hilly and cobblestone streets of Lisbon our Comby with good wheels would work perfect. But won't it be a problem in the elevador, trams and local restaurants with this big-sized pram (which can be fold)?
Never been in southern Europe with kids, and have no idea how is it the pram situation there.
Any advice? thanks
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM

I don't think you will have any problem with your baby pram If it can be fold, much better !! I live in Spain and never thought about "pram situations", everybody goes everywhere here with their babies...
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:00 PM

I don't know the equipment you list, but one thing I am sure of: don't use anything with small wheels. Most pavements are made with stone setts about 50mm2 (2 inches). I'm sure you can figure the rest!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

thank you guys, I think we take the steady pram. You just reassured me that it can work.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Calling Lisboa "hilly" is an understatement. Baixa is pretty flat, but Chiado, Alfama, and Biarro Alto are all very "hilly." You want a pram that can fold easily, as you will have to take a taxi or streetcar up the giant hill that goes to the Se and Castelo Sao Jorge.

Where are you staying in Lisbon?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

2 marginal_margiela
We have booked a room in Residencia Florescente in the Baixa, just read many nice reviews in the net on that place.
yes, our big pram can be fold quite easy, though it's quite heavy to wear. hope it will be just needed when inside trams, buses etc, or at restaurants.
By the way, do you have any suggestions on children-friendly places to eat in the city (i.e. high chairs or good space for the pram). We'd love to experience local specialities...
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM

It is good that you are staying in Baixa because it is close to everything and the Metro.

There are plenty of seafood restaurants behind the National Theatre in the Praca Dom Pedro. The street is called "Santo Antao." Some of the restaurants are good, some not so good. Find one that is really crowded.

One of my favourite restaurants used to be "Stasha" in the Bairro Alto (29-33 Rua das Gaveas), but I don't know if it is still open.

My ex-husband, Rogerio, is a famous club promoter in Lisboa. He has not sent me a Christmas card/letter this year, which usually makes reference to all our old friends and old haunts.

Have you looked at the "Lisbon Dining Club" thread? Do a search by typing the title into the search engine box at the top of the page.