Bus from Positano to Paestum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a bus line that runs this route? is it one of the SITA buses... blue, orange, or another colore?
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 11:55 AM
DRJ

When I took this trip a couple of years ago, I took the SITA bus to Salerno and transfered to another line located a few blocks away. The whole trip took an hour or so and Paestum is worth it.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 12:53 PM
GAC

To save time, you could take the ferry boat from Positano to Salerno, then the bus on to Paestum. Boat trip Positano to Salerno is one hour. Positano to Salerno by bus is two hours.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 02:20 AM

I'd second GAC's suggestion: take the ferry. If you go all the way by bus it's nearer 3 hours!<BR><BR>You can also do the Salerno-Paestum bit by train (30-35 mins). This leaves you a 15 min walk from Paestum Station to the temples, but this can still be quicker than the bus. <BR><BR>Steve
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
GAC

Here is a more complete discussion of the topic:

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums?a...5954#124105954
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 07:20 AM

I was in Paestum exactly one week ago! I took a bus from Amalfi, and I transfered to another bus in Salerno. It took all morning to get there, but it was so worth it.

I would have prefered to take a boat from Amalfi and a train from Salerno, but it didn't work out in terms of timing. I did manage to take a train back to Salerno from Paestum, which took only 30 minutes instead of 90. And the next day I took a boat to Salerno, which also took only a third of the bus travel time.

Keep in mind that the busses are probably going to take longer than they're supposed to. And be sure to ask your driver to announce the stop at Paestum for you--it's not as obvious as you might expect. Have fun!
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 09:18 AM
GAC

Can you confirm that it took less than 10 minutes to walk from the Archeological Zone to the train station in Paestum?

Is is still true that the Paestum station is unmanned?

Is the road to the station still open countryside, or have new buildings gone up?
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 12:52 PM
kja

"Can you confirm that it took less than 10 minutes to walk from the Archeological Zone to the train station in Paestum?" I haven't been there since May 2007, but I think it took closer to 15 minutes. I remember thinking that someone would have to walk very quickly indeed to make it in 10 minutes.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM

Perhaps someone moving at a brisk pace could make that walk in 10 minutes or less, but it took me closer to 20 minutes. Granted, my feet were tired and I was moving a bit slower than usual, but I'd advise anyone to leave plenty of time for a rather pleasant stroll along a paved road past some well-tended fields. The only buildings I recall seeing were very old indeed.

Sure enough, there's no one available to sell you at ticket at the station house, and nowhere to validate the one that you brought with you. A couple of other passengers assured me that there'd be no problem on the train, and since no one came around to collect tickets, there wasn't.

I found the long bus rides to Paestum rather tiresome and was beginning to think that I should have done something else with my precious time, but within minutes of my arrival, I knew it was the right thing to do. The site is nothing short of awesome, and the museum is excellent. I was especially impressed by the paintings, which are in a gloriously intact and colorful.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 05:53 PM
GAC

Just as a point of clarification, my map of Paestum shows the train station as being about 800 yards from the intersection of the "main drag" in front of the Temples. From the intersection, it's another 200 yards to the Museum. From your description, it sounds like there has been no new construction along the road leading to the station in a very long time.