Search

Bus from Bilbao to Pamplona for Running of the Bulls

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus from Bilbao to Pamplona for Running of the Bulls

Hello

I would like to go experience San Fermin this year for a day. I am flying into Bilbao and arrive on Friday 7th July. Does anyone know where I can get the bus from Bilbao to Pamplona and where I can find the bus schedules. I plan to stay out in Pamplona the whole night till the morning with friends then go back to Bilbao on the bus to get my return flight.

Any help would be great!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:00 AM

Hi

See this link for some info - http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=tra.

It provides details re location of bus stations and phones nos. The bus service is extensive in Spain and there appears to be several bus companies operating for different regions. It would be great if there was a website for the entire Spanish bus service where you could key your departure city and destination, the date and times which would provide a list of the bus companies operating that route. Does anyone know if it exists? If not, if there is anyone from the Spanish government reading this do they want to contract me to do it (all expenses paid for of course, including sangria).

But seriously, good luck anyway meise.

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Fodor's information is years out of date. Bilbao bus departures are from a single modern bus station called Termibus; it's linked to the city centre by the metro and a tram route. I don't know which bus company runs from Bilbao to Pamplona. ALSA (www.alsa.es) runs from Bilbao to San Sebastian but doesn't seem to serve Pamplona.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:54 AM

The company that has the Bilbao- Pamplona route is www.laburundesa.com.
They have the schedules there.

Good luck!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 08:59 AM

The buses will be packed the 6th through the 9th this year because of the weekend. You'd be best off reserving as far ahead as possible.

There are two other bus companies serving Pamplona from San Sebastian-Donostia.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:11 AM

I was going to jump and say that "La Union", the company running the service between Bilbao and Pamplona, didn´t have a website (and they didn´t until not so long time, and you had to go to the bus station to get the updated bus services ...), but ... thanks a lot, cruiseluv !!! It´s really helpful

Meisie, if I were you I wouldn´t count for sure on that, but on previous years La Union used to run a kind of shuttle service to Pamplona on San Fermin weekends. You got to the bus station, bought your ticket and jump onto the first bus leaving, full of people already dressed for the fiesta. The return trip was similar. Been there, done that. But given that you are flying over one day and returning the following, I´d try to get the tickets booked in advance. Or, fly back on sunday and stay in Bilbao that Saturday night ...

Worldinabag, there is such a website, and it was organized by the spanish government three or four years ago. Not all of the companies are in there, because some of them are not interested, but many times the site will tell you the alternative company or website : http://www.movelia.com

Termibus is not so far away from the city centre, and good news, it´s the last stop for the airport bus. So, get on the bus (leaving every half an hour, at :15 and :45) and arrive to the bus station in less than half an hour for a little more than 1 Euro.

Kind regards,
Cova

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Thanks Cova. Doh, back to making widgets I guess...
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks all for the advise and recommendations.

Does anyone know of any good hotels in Bilbao. Hesperia Bilbao seems to be quite resonably priced. Are taxis/cabs expensive in Bilbao?
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:31 PM

No, taxi's are very inexpensive in Bilbao. They have to compete with the outstanding public transportation system, one of the best in Spain.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

I checked some of the websites mentioned but can't seem to find a bus that will leave bilbao early enough to get to pamplona on Saturday for the morning bull run? Am I looking in the wrong place or do the times/schedules of the buses change when the fiesta is on? how do I book the bus/coaches in advance

I have a flight back to UK at 09.50 Sunday morning...looking at the bus times now from the websites suggested I am stressing that I might not have a bus to take back in the early morning (3, 4 or 5am) from Pamplona to Bilbao!? Help please...will I be stuck in Pamplona till much later...is there no way of staying out to party in Pamplona on Saturday night and leave at around 3am to go back to Bilbao by bus??
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Hi Meisie,

I am afraid you are stuck in that ... The buses to Pamplona run in the evening until 22:00 or 23:00, depending on the demand, but they usually don´t leave from Pamplona in the morning before the running of the bulls (and the bus station is a bit crazy, with everybody trying to get into the first bus leaving ... ).

The usual (if you haven´t booked a hotel or have friends in Pamplona that let you take over their floors) is to party until the morning, get into the bull ring to see the bulls coming in, have a breakfast at some bar (I like the tables outside the cafes in the Plaza del Castillo), and then head to the bus station and sleep all the way to Bilbao.

So, if your plane leaves at 9:50, you should be in the airport at 8:50 ... nope, almost impossible to do unless you get a taxi to drive you from Pamplona to the Bilbao airport (a bit on the expensive side, and probably very, very difficult).

I still think that your best plan would be to head towards Pamplona on Friday evening, enjoy that night out, get a bus in the morning, relax in Bilbao, and leave Sunday morning.

Ah, and regarding your question of an early bus to get to the running ... it´s not something that it is usually done, so I guess there is not a market for them

The Hesperia Bilbao is a brand new opening, located almost opposite of the Guggenheim. It looks quite good from the outside. I have only been in the cafe, not bad at all.

Kind regards,
Cova
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Hello,

Will be driving from Bilboa to Pamplona for a business meeting next week.

What interesting sites are there to stop at to and fro Bilboa and Pamplona ?

Thanks.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Are you planning on stopping for lunch or to see the sights?
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Plane will arrive at Bilboa at 11:20am. After picking up car... probably would stay in Bilboa for lunch. And then start driving. So, sights on the way to Pamplano.

Any suggestions for a good place for lunch after a LONG ride???
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Most restaurants will not start serving lunch until after 13:30 (1:30 pm), which means you won’t be heading out on the road until after 16:00. If you want to have lunch in Bilbao, then you can try one of the following for a gastronomic treat:

Zortziko, Alameda Manzarredo, 17
Goizeko Kabi, Particular de Estraunza, 4
Gorrotxa, Alameda Urquijo, 30
Club Náutico, the dining room of the Hotel López de Haro
Asador Guetaria, on Colón Larreategui
Yandiola, Paseo del Campo Volantin, 15
Cafe Iruña, Calle de Colón Larreategui, 13
Asador Oteixa, Licenciado Poza, 27
Beltz the Black's at the Gran Hotel Domine Bilbao, and the outstanding restaurant in the Guggenheim across the street from the hotel.

Pamplona has dozens of great restaurants to choose from including Josetxo, Europa, Hartza, Rodero, El Embrujo, Enekorri and Alhambra to name but a few.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, would like to drive by the Guggenheim. What is the best and easiest route from airport.

Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:08 AM

You follow the Bi636 into the city. It's about 8 km distance and should take around 10 minutes once you leave the airport.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Thanks Robert2533.

No more questions for now.

C.