Day trip from San Sebastian to Hondarribia question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be staying in San Sebastian for 4 nights in July and want to take a day trip to Hondarribia. I've researched it and of course, found some info that conflicted with other so I'm hoping someone can look at what I've found and tell me if it's accurate.

Also, if I have time I might try to cross over the border and look at Hendaye. Do you think I'd have time for both. If I did that I take it train would be the easiest way back to San Sebastian?

"There is regular (every 20 minutes) bus service between San Sebastian and Hondarribia on the Lurralde Bus (www.lurraldesbus.eus). It leaves from Gipuzkoa Plaza/Plaza Guipuscoa in San Sebastian-Donostia (near the post office). There isn’t a proper bus station in Hondarribia, but several bus stops throughout town. On the Lurraldebus website, I had to select the bus operator (Ekialdebus), the bus # and the date of travel to get a full schedule. I used "Hondarribia" as the Origen and "Donostia" as the Destino. I believe these are the names of Fuentarribia and San Sebastian in Euskara. http://lurraldebus.net/ The E21 bus is the express bus serving the airport, but actually doesn't stop at the airport itself, only on the roadway in front of the airport. If you do take the E21 going back to San Sebastian, it's best to catch it at the first stop in the plaza. It fills up quickly. There's also a process in boarding the bus. The line forms early, so try to be there 10 to 15 minutes before it departs. Also, the bus stop itself is simply a metal post with the bus number and schedule, no shelter. It's on the east side of the plaza, in the middle of the block. The E20 is a local bus that takes forever. The bus picks up on the "main" road that passes through town between the walled old town and harbour. You cannot miss it as it runs regularly and is clearly marked that the destination is San Sebastian."

Thanks
Old May 7th, 2017, 11:39 AM

Yes, it's accurate, but to clarify:

>There is regular bus service between San Sebastián and Hondarribia on the Lurralde Bus (Oarsoaldea-Bidasoa Line), which leaves from Gipuzkoa Plaza in San Sebastián-Donostia (E20 weekdays - E27 weekends - E77 night).<

http://ekialdebus.eus/es/e20-hondarr...ntxo-donostia/
Old May 7th, 2017, 11:35 PM

As Robert says, it's accurate. And Hondarribia is very small, no problem to leave at the right bus stop. And sleepy Hendaye could be a fine contrast to vibrant Hondarribia: http://www.euskoguide.com/places-bas...ndaye-tourism/
St Jean de Luz:
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much.

I'm planning to go first to Hondarribia, and then if time I would go over to Hendaye (by boat? -- it will be the first week in July, I think I saw that boats started on July 1).

Before San Sebastian I will be four nights in Bayonne and plan day trips to St Jean de Luz from there. Also St Jean Pied de port. It seemed to make more sense to go to Hondarribia from San Sebastian.