Burgundy Barge Trip with 1 Year Old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done a barge trip with a small child on board? Our family of 7 (including the 1 year old) is planning a spring 2007 trip to France. We are trying to decide between a week in an apartment in Paris with side trips, or doing a barge trip. Does anyone have experience with either?
Thanks ahead for any replies.
Lucy
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:33 AM

I would think that a week in a Paris apt. would be a much better option for a 1 year old. When my kids were one, they liked to wander and try out their new walking skills. I can't imagine dealing with a 1 year old on a barge (even if there were 6 adults to look after the child).

An apt. is an excellent option with a toddler because you have can eat some meals in the apt. (it's difficult for any 1 year old to dine out for every meal over a week). Also, the toddler can roam aroudn the apt. and if he needs more space, Paris has lots of child friendly parks.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM

No experience with a barge 54lucy but with a boat (a large cabin cruiser that friends had at the time my daughter was a toddler). It didn't seem to bother my friends but I was a nervous wreck. We finally quit joining them although their invitations were so appreciated. Toddlers and water vessles don't really work to well in my experience. I would rent an apartment, I truly think you would find that much for relaxing and fun for all of you. Best wishes.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:05 PM

think about being with your kids in a large car going aout 15 miles per hour for a week. I'd love to do one of the barge trips, but know that my kids (13,11,8, and 7) would not enjoy it after the first day or two.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Another thought 54lucy, I don't know if it is necessary on a barge but when we took our little one on our friends cabin cruiser we put a babysize approved life vest on her. She had to wear it the entire time. She was not happy about that, lol. And I sure understood as life vests in my experience can get very uncomfortable especially if the weather is hot.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM

also, there are side trips to restaurants, biking trips, châteaux tours, all that...I am not sure whether a one year old would restrict you in that regard...whereas in Paris...it is much easier to accommodate these issues...
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM

I've seen barges in Europe that families obviously live on - laundry hanging and a tiny car on the barge. They actually have a harness and line for their toddlers...the line seems to be long enough to allow the child some distance to run around.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Save a barge trip for when the child is older -- Barges will always be there. The best thing about a barge vacation is that it is so restful - but w/ a toddler on board you would never be able to let your guard down for an instant. Not that you wouldn't have to be watchful abywhere - but the lure of the water, ducks, swans and all just makes a boat trip more difficult.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I think you're all right, and for now, at least, the barge thing is not very do-able (sp?) with a small child. We appreciate all of your replies. The apartment it is!
Lucy