Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bunratty Castle banquet - is it recommended?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My husband and I will be in Ireland next year and have been talking about going to a mediaeval banquet at Bunratty Castle. Is this recommended? I expect it could be very touristy, but it sounds like good fun. Also. I've read that it's a good idea to book well in advance (must mean it's popular), does anyone know if it's possible to book before arriving in Ireland? We will be there in May, 2005 and we're in our mid-thirties.
Thanks.
Lisa.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Lisa, yes it was touristy, but it was fun. Our B&B booked it for us, but I would definitely book it at least a month in advance. If you know where you are staying, ask them to book it.

We stayed at the Bunratty Lodge, and when we made and confirmed our reservations, she e-mailed and asked if we would like her to book the banquet for us.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Does this prompt a "what to wear"? question. If so Julien Macdonald has some fantastic medieval inspired gowns in his fall collection.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Yes, it may be a bit touristy but it is good fun. I've been twice and enjoyed both times. The banquet hall is open seating at long tables, so you may wind up in the midst of an international crowd, an added benefit. The food is not five star, but not bad either, and the performers are actually quite good. There are two banquets each evening, at 5:30 and 8:45. We liked the later one, and spent some tme roaming around the nice folk park at Bunratty prior to the banquet. Not sure about ticketing in advance, but you might check out www.goireland.com (they also have a toll free number 1-888-827-3028)
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Dress casual - jeans and comfortable shoes -- gowns are only for the entertainers.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:37 AM

I did this on my very first night in Ireland and loved it. Yes, it is a bit touristy, but it is so much fun and it really gets you into the spirit of the country, especially after you've toured the Bunratty Folk Park. We had booked ours in advance, but I'm not sure how far in advance would be needed. We were there in May, and our "table" was full with no vacancies.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:43 AM

That was humour on my part, I hope it is humour on yours too budman!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Yes it was humor -- Didn't you see my smiley face?
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out with yet another element of our trip.
Now a dilemma, should I tell my husband he doesn't have to wear tights? I quite fancy the idea of seeing Grant in traditional garb?????
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 10:02 AM

No, tell him "tights" are a must!!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:54 PM

I was wondering if those medieval banquets were still going on there! I can't tell you what happened to me at that banquet one night way back in the 80's- it was truly like something out of a Midsummer Night's Dream-I ended up on the stage with the performers-because I was directed up there by a certain someone so he could point to me and laugh! It was actually pretty funny at the time, but I definitely got him back later on that evening at Durty Nellie's-one of my finest moments, I must say! Just make sure, LisainSA, that you know where the loo is before the banquet starts-it IS somewhere up there on that stage!

Oh, and by all means go, yes, it is touristy, but it IS fun! When I was there, we had mead, and no forks, only knives to stab our meat with.