Reload this Page >

Bundle, Fold,or Roll? How do you pack?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 11:44 PM
Jane

What method of packing to Fordorites use? Do you carry ALL that stuff the packing lists tell you to take with you? Sewing kits,buzzer alarms for your door, etc. that you might need...my friend even wants to take duct tape. Is all this necessary?

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 12:06 AM
April

I roll. <BR> <BR>A matchbook sized sewing kit doesn't take much room. I try to get things as light and compact as possible but if space becomes an issue, I'll leave inexpensive, replaceable items behind or mail the ones I can't part with home. The times I haven't taken scissors and tape, I've regretted it. There isn't always a store handy to buy such things.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 03:20 AM
Al

All packing begins with a list which we whittle down. Then, split 50-50, we put his-and-hers underwear into ziplock plastic bags, sit on them, squeeze out the air, and zip shut. This compresses the clothing so that it won't wrinkle and so takes up much less space. The 50-50 system is used because one of our two bags may be lost or delayed in arrival. <BR>Other clothing is also split 50-50 for the same reason. Buy 2-gallon bags when you can find them. Pack smaller articles in smaller bags. Pack extra shoes with whatever but leave your socks in plastic bags. This kind of packing is the product of 50 years of travel experience to almost all the continents.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 03:33 AM
Della

Oh Thank you so much AL! I'm packing now for Venice............

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:08 AM
Sue

I agree with Al on 50/50 and plastic bags. Another trick I've learned is to lay long stuff (pants, skirts) full length across suitcase and dangling over the edges. Then pack smaller stuff on top and at the end fold over the edges of long stuff. I think it keeps it from being so wrinkled and makes for a more even bottom to pack on.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:25 AM
Annette

Prompted by a suggestion from this forum, on my last trip I found these new vacuum seal travel bags they sell at Walgreens and other places. I use the same method Al and Sue described, but these bags REALLY compress and suck all air out, given you more room in your carry-on. The bag box claims they will give you 75% more room. I think this is a little much but still works like a charm. There were a lot fewer wrinkles and they worked great for totally compressing heavy items like a winter sweater and jeans. For non-bagged items, I also used tissue paper to stuff into any empty spots within my carry-on, because empty air spots will leave room for movement and thus wrinkles. Maybe your friend could roll off a little bit of duct tape and wind it around a small wooden spool if it really turns him on.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:34 AM
Annette

In case anyone is interested, these bags actually have their own website at www.spacebags.com

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:49 AM
Annette

Sorry. That is www.spacebag.com.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:58 AM
a Fodorite

<BR>Easy question. About 12 hours from departure I dig my gargantuan Samsonite hardsided suitcase from the closet and lay it on the bed. That always makes me feel better. About 2 hours later I open it and remove the debris from the previous trip (hey, I wondered where that shirt was; could have used that umbrella during the rainy season; etc.). <BR>Then begins the haphazard tossing of whatever stikes my fancy at the moment. Upon further reflection, there will always be something I need to run through the washing machine, so I do that. This is followed by the point, around 11pm, where tossing gives way to cramming. Afterall, I must be at the airport for the 6am flight. Before bedtime I note that no amount of elephant-walking on the luggage will let me close and lock it. That's okay, maybe it will settle overnight and it will be easier in the morning. <BR> <BR>Hey, you asked. Works for me - always has!

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 10:12 AM
Ben Haines

AFodors <BR> <BR>Sewing kit: yes. <BR> <BR>Buzzer alarm for my door and duct tape. Please what are these ? <BR> <BR>I can see that there are whole schools of vthought. I subscribe to Ms Wrights', and pack everything as flat as possible, so that it crushes flat and takes no space for air. But I pack for a move every three days, and plenty of sleeping cars. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 06:35 PM
Jane

Mr Haines: this buzzer alarm is a device that is wedge shaped and slides under the door. If anyone tries to open it, an alarm goes off. A friend gave it to me. I tried it out and home and the dog hid for a hour. <BR> <BR>Duct tape is the "american fix-all" for repairing things...tears, leaks, packages to mail, etc. Maybe I'd better take that. <BR> <BR>I'm taking a flashlight, a clock, and some moist tissues to clean my hands, but scissors? I'll also take the sewing kit... thank you for your response.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 06:59 PM
Ben Haines

Thanks for telling me. I agree with the dog. <BR> <BR>I wonder what you'll bind with the tape. No, please don't tell me, fancy in this case is more fun than fact. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:49 PM
wendy

Those vacuum bags become more effective with more use - when they're new, they're still stiff, but after a few months, they're fantastic.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 09:03 PM
silly

Where do you find room for a vacuum in your suitcase? Won't you need one to reseal the bags on the way home? Help me out here please!

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Yvonne

For my trip three years ago I used PacMor bags. I beleive I purchased them from Walkabouttravelgear.com. They work sans vacuum cleaner. You load 'em up, roll out the air, seal 'em (they have two zip loc lick tracks) and save a bunch of space.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Jane

Silly: I thought exactly what you thought. I went to the web site, and they have a "travelers version" that, I guess you sit on to get the air out. I'm going to my local Bed and Bath and check it out. Only taking three pair of pants and 1 skirt, but several sweaters. Maybe it'll work. Will let you know.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Judi

Dry cleaning any where in Europe is so inexpensive and same day service, you can get away with packing so little. Most hotels will iron your clothes for a very small fee. <BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Robin

Just adding my two cents about some of the thoughts already mentioned. <BR> <BR>Re: dividing clothes (between companions)-- I never would have done it until the trip to Greece where most of the luggage was delayed a day getting out of NY. It's a small adjustment that could really bail you out. <BR> <BR>Re: dry cleaning-- I haven't actually done this, but I am sold on having laundry done on a long trip. On Paros it was very inexpensive, in Paris it was very expensive, but it's a fair price to pay for not lugging excess clothes around. <BR> <BR>Re: the original packing question-- I'm a roller, but I'm always looking for new abnd better ideas!

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Celia

I like the foldover method too, although it depends to some extent on what fabrics your clothes are, I think. <BR> <BR>I keep a small bag of "housekeeping necessities" permanently packed, and put it in our suitcases whenever we travel in the US or abroad. I just pulled it out of the closet to check what's in it, and here it is: <BR> <BR>travel alarm <BR>extension cord (for international travel I add transformer and adaptor) <BR>corkscrew & wine bottle stopper <BR>Swiss army knife <BR>a few clothespins (for hanging laundry or for closing the curtains etc) <BR>tiny bottle of Woolite <BR>safety pins <BR>tiny folding scissors <BR>extra shower cap <BR>sewing kit with beige & grey thread (more invisible than black or white) <BR> <BR>If I think we'll need it, I take this webbing & buckles affair I bought a while ago that you can strap around a cardboard box to turn it into a package with a suitcase-type handle. Very useful for bringing home a case of wine or other bulky box of souvenirs. You can get the same effect, with a little more trouble, by using duct tape and string. We've done that a couple of times too. Duct tape ALWAYS goes with us to Africa. <BR> <BR>I never take any of the "safety" stuff that books advise you to take like door alarms or money belts or odd things to strap on your leg to hold your credit card.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Celeste

First of all, I NEVER check baggage, do all my traveling (14-18 days at a time) out of two carry-on bags. I bring three days worth of clothes and wash them as I go. Roll some, fold some, I just do whatever seems to work. <BR> <BR>But it's not as haphazard as it sounds. I start my packing list one month before I leave and then add and subtract items each day. Plus I bring things I can throw out at the end of the travel - T shirts, a pair of shoes, etc. <BR> <BR>I've never had trouble buying anything I might have forgotten. For peace of mind, nothing beats not checking your luggage and traveling light, since I rarely spend more than three nights in one place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -