Bullfight in Madrid, a few questions

Old Dec 25th, 2008, 05:33 AM
lol
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullfight in Madrid, a few questions

Hello all,
Planning a trip to Madrid in April and I am currently researching buying bullfighting tickets online. I just checked the websites mentioned in Maribel's guide and the only one that I can make sense of and found user friendly is http://www.bullfightticketsmadrid.com/
my questions are
1-does this site charge a hefty fee as opposed to taquillatorros.com which as I understand is the las Ventas sales website.
2-I am surprised that most of the sombra seats are almost sold out for the 2 sundays that I am interested in in April. So, if I purchase my tickets now to avoid dissappointment, how can I have them delivered. Can I pick them up on the day at the bullring?
3-Is the weather in April convenient for sol seats, how long does the bullfight last? The fights are at 18:00, is the sun still very hot by then?

Thanks very much
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 06:17 AM

A few years ago I attended a Ventas bullfight in May, and even then the weather was not too hot. But I think there is more to the ticket price than just sun or shade. It seemed to me that most of the bullfighting action took place near the part of the stadium that was in the shade. Even though my shade ticket was not really needed for shade (it was not a hot day), it was definitely helpful for seeing the bullfight.

But regardless of which ticket you buy, bring binoculars. I also advise renting a seat cushion. The stadium seats get very hard very quickly.

Even when Ventas says seats are sold out, it does not mean they are really sold out, because some local Madrid travel agencies buy tickets in bulk. When I went, it was on San Isidro festival day, which is opening day of Madrid's main bullfighting season. This is a very popular day for attending the bullfight, and the seats had been sold out for a long time. But I was still able to buy a ticket from a local travel agency the day before the event, although with a hefty extra fee.

Old Dec 25th, 2008, 07:09 AM

bookmarking
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 10:25 AM

I just checked to see if the cartels for 2009 had been released early, but, as usual, they will not be released until after the contracts are signed, which means that tickets are not yet for sale at Las Ventas. What bullfightticketsmadrid.com appears to be doing is selling seats they may have contracted for. As far as buying tickets in April, there shouldn't be any problems waiting until you arrive in Madrid. The San Isidro bullfight festival takes place during May, which means that there should be sol seats available for the bullfights, which take place on Sundays in April.

The Plaza is the second largest in Spain, seating 25,000.

The official website for La Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas del Espíritu Santo or, Las Ventas, is TEYCI (ticketstoros.com/).

As already pointed out, the sol seats are not the best as most matadors take the bull to the shade side to present it to the President. Some matadors do fight their bulls closer to the cheap seats, but not many.

The weather in April should be half-way decent for sitting in the sun seats, but you do want to be as low as possible. The typical bullfight takes less than 2-1/2 hours from start to finish, so you will be out in time for tapas.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Hi,

When is the start of the season?

Thanks.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Hi cruiseluv,
It starts in early March, with corridas on Sundays.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
lol
Original Poster

Hi all,
So it is settled, shade seats it is. I am still unclear on some points. Robert2533 and JoyceL, does this mean that the tickets sold on bullfightticketsmadrid.com are ok or not, should I buy from this site if I want to plan ahead or from taquillatorros.com later when they release their schedule?
Also if I do wait till I get to Madrid in April where can I buy the tickets, at the bullring or at a travel agent?

Thanks a lot
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM

lol,
If you absolutely want the tixs in hand before arrival, just purchase from www.ticketstoros.com

But it's not really necessary for outside of San Isidro (May-June), the October feria or the Corrida de la Beneficencia in June (most important one of the season). Or anytime José Tomás is on the cartel-those tixs can sell out quickly.

You can go to the box office (taquillas) at the Plaza Las Ventas on Calle Alcalá 247 (take the metro to the Ventas station) on Friday before your Sunday.
They're not put on sale at the box office until the Fri. before each Sunday corrida.
The windows are open from 10-2 and 5-8.

You can also buy them by phone at
902 15 00 25, but I'm not sure if they accept non-Spain bank credit card sales.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM

If you want to sit with the real fans, the working class regulars who provide you with that indescribable vibe, that primordial collective tradition that makes it more than just the gory spectacle, then don't sit in the shade, go for the cheap seats on the other side.

It's like the difference between real flamenco and a pretty dance in pretty costumes for tourists in an expensive restaurant - one has soul, the other doesn't. The sunny side has soul.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM

"The sunny side has soul". For real soul, you have to sit with the Peñas during Sanfermines. Now that's real "sol".
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Agreed, Robert - I have the memories and some scars to prove it...
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM
CPT

Hello. Can someone clarify the seating order? Meaning, ie: Row 15 to Row 27 in the sun and shade section, is Row 15 closer to sun, or closer to shade section? If 2 of us want to seat together closer to the shade side, do I get Row 15 1st seat and second seats? Thanks so much
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 12:46 AM

To CPT.
About the seating order, the bullfight arena is divided in 10 sectors called "Tendidos". Each sector is like a triangular piece of a round cake. There are sectors of sun (numbers 4,5,6,7); sectors of sun & shade meaning that when the bullfight begins there's sun and when it ends there's shade(numbers 3 & 8)and sectors of Shade, which are the best and most expensive (numbers 1,2,9 & 10). So, whether you are in sun of shade depends on the SECTOR (or Tendido) you are, not in the row.
Within each sector you have rows. The lowest the number of the row , the nearest you are to the arena (and of course the most expensive tickets are the nearest ones). The most expensive tickets are so the first and second row (called Barrera and Contrabarrera)of the shade sectors.
Then,going farther from the arena you have in each sector 27 rows in an area called "Tendidos". Rows 1 to 14 are the best of that part.
There's also a second floor called "grada" and a third floor called "andanada". Too far from the arena both.
If you want to see it perfectly I'll recommend you to get tickets of sectors 9 or 10,"Tendido" rows. Not only because you will have shade all the time , but also because all the action of the bullfight tends to take place just in front of those two sectors because the President of the bullfight sits there.
You can see a plan of the arena here:
http://www.las-ventas.com/index.html
Click on the tab called "Precios y plano" (second on the top) and you can access a plan of the arena and the prices of the different options you have.
I hope you will enjoy it. And remember, It's not allowed to enter or leave your seat while there's a bull in the arena. The reason is that if the bull sees movement he can distract and b ecome a bigger danger to the Matador.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 02:38 AM

youre barracking for the bull...right?
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
CPT

thank you andonius for all the info. I plan on attending on Sept 6, it appears to be a"Novillada" level bullfight. Either way, I am very excited to see it in person, it will be an experience! Thank you for the tip.

I clicked on your link, however, the site is in spanish and I was not able to navigate it to purchase seats on line.
But I am able to see the "cake" layout of the arena on another website bullfightticketsmadrid.com. It seems under Shade "1 category (tendido bajo)" are the seats you recommended. Once clicked, I am at the page where I can choose seats according to rows. There will be 2 of us, so I am going to assume we need to buy tickets in teh same ROW, adjacent seats to one another.

Is the first seat from the left the closest to the "president's seat" or the first seat from the right on Row 1?

Lastly, I will not be able to buy tickets on Friday before the fight because I will be at Sevilla. Should I get the seats now over internet or do you think getting them right before the bullfight will be fine for the better seats?

THANKS THANKS THANKS for taking your time to reply to me!

Have a terrific day
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM

Just worth saying that corridas are also held in Mediterranean France.

The prices are often surprisingly reasonable. http://the-languedoc-page.com/phpBB2...pic.php?t=2811 refers to tickets for an El Juli special anniversary event. They were €18 in half sun half shade seats quite a long way up the roman arena of Nimes.

Read - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juli%C3...%B3pez_Escobar - and you will realise how cheap this is.

Peter
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM

....and a big thanks from me too andonius for the detailed information.

Joe
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:17 AM

CPT:
You're right. The seats I recommended are shade 1 category in www.bullfightticketsmadrid.com
Shade 2 category is your next option.
In that web you cannot choose the exact sector, only the row; so if you select shade 1 category, they can give you any ticket in sectors 9, 10, 1 or 2. (divide the "piece of the cake" of shade 1 category in four parts and , from left to right you have sectors 9, then 10, then 1 and then 2).
The President sits in a balcony just over shade 2 category in the 10th sector (in the layout you've seen it's a grey area just above the letter M of "Sombra").
Don't care too much for the number of the seat.Within a sector, they are all almost the same. Just choose a row and ask for two seats together.
Normally, for a Novillada in september there will be not too much demand, so I think you'll have no problems to get your tickets the same or the previous day at the arena. Think that if you buy them over the Internet the overprice is about 30% (as an example, the price for my favourite row (sector 9 or 10, row 9 is 31€ in bullfighttickets and 24,10€ if you buy them at the arena ticket offices). As I suppose you'll be coming to a hotel in madrid, an option you may have is to ask the hotel to get the tickets for you. Call or write them and see if they con do you that service.
Novilladas tend to be good to see as they are novel Matadores that want to show they're good. The bulls are smaller than the normal ones.
A final advise. The seats in the Arena are VERY UNCOMFORTABLE (don't ask me why; I don't understand it). The rows are too near one to the other, seats are made of stone with no back and are too small. Bring your cushion or rent one inside the arena (very easy, there are people renting them in all the entrances; but they tend not to be very clean).
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
CPT

andonius:

thank you so much for taking your time to explain in details. I really appreciate your help. Shall you ever visit New York City, please contact me and I shall return the favor!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:51 AM

Hi there hate to hijack but we will be in Sevilla on Oct 11/12/13 and as far as I can see there are not bullfights there that day...is that correct?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information