Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budha Bar in Paris - Is it worth a visit?

Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Our friends would like to go to Budha Bar in Paris. I hear drinks are outrageously expensive. Would you recommend a visit?

From Chatelet Station (Novotel Les Halles Hotel) how do you get there?

Thanks
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
ira

Hi E,

How old are you?

Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:41 AM

I think old enough to go to a bar. I haven't been there so have no idea if it's worth it. I don't think the drinks are outrageously expensive, but guess it depends on the reference -- I mean in comparison to some other very expensive, trendy bars or hotels or restaurants (I think they are around 14-20 euro each).

But to get there, it is just off the place de la Concorde behind Hotel Crillon more or less. It's right near the Concorde metro stop, so you can take the metro from Chatelet to Concorde on line 1, it's only a couple stops. You could also just take the no. 72 bus which runs right along rue de Rivoli between those points.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM

Drink prices were not listed but their menu was... mmmm... not too expensive at all. I find that cocktails are pretty much always "relatively" expensive in Paris.
The commentary on bestrestaurantsparis mentions to come late and see the stars and glitterati "a' table".
Go, what harm can it do??
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM

The place is lovely, the food not great.
Four drinks were 80€. I find it expensive. Had I not been a guest, I could not afford it. To get your coat back will cost you 3€.
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you All!

Oh yes! I am drinking age, actually procted age.
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Close to Bofinger's is a bar called "The Martini Bar". When I was there with a girlfriend, she literally yanked me in so she could get one like she gets in America. Shaken until its almost like a vodka sno-cone! With a lot of laughter, she taught the lovely young Scandanavian bartender how to make her her American style Vodka martini... Nevertheless, the price was 15E's...I had my wine, about 3E's.
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM
ira

Hi E,

>Oh yes! I am drinking age, ...<

That's not the point.

Are you under 40? Over 55? It will make a difference.

Apr 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Here are some reviews for you. We saw alot of folks in the fifty age range. Like most new bars after they reach their peak, the trendy crowd moves on.
http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/p...-bar-paris.htm
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Well, I certainly think it's worth a visit, I've recommended it enough to people on this board, and those who have gone have reported to really enjoy it!

I go whenever I'm in Paris, so the last time I was there was in September. The drinks are not "outrageously expensive" What is outrageously expensive? 9.00-10.00US for a specialty drink? I don't think so! I had sushi, very good, and a couple of drinks, I don't believe it ran me over 25.00. As always, the ambience of the most serene golden buddha presiding over the scene, the beautiful people who come to see and be seen (but more tourists I've noticed now, as well), the great music-late at night in Paris, this is the only place to go, for my money. This is a very cool spot. You can buy their CDs there, also T-shirts, and other Buddha bar things. The staff though, are unbelieveably friendly for a place like this. Check out their website here, and click "buddha bar" on the left:

www.buddha-bar.com/

Highly recommended.
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Another nice thing about Buddha Bar-no cover charge to get in.
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:26 PM

i think it's fair to say that if a club is the talk of fodor's, it's not cool. when you start to get whole fodor's threads about your club, it's time to close the doors and think of a new concept. i say the same thing for bed supper in bangkok...lots of fodor's threads and long past its sell-by date.
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM

walkinaround, you really know how to hurt a forum, but I suspect you're dead on--or perhaps we nearly are. OTOH, cool like beauty is in the eye of the preener.
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Well, if those two places, both of which I know quite well, were, in fact "past their sell-by date" then they'd close. That's the way it is with clubs. They become hot, a passing fancy, have their time in the sun, and then, poof! no more.

Both Buddha Bar and Bed SupperClub in Bangkok have shown that they have withstood the test of time, where many many others in those cities have not.

But unless you've actually been to both, and more than once, you're not really in any position to judge, one way or the other.

As for Bed, totally different concept than Buddha Bar-for one thing, Bed doesn't sell CDs that are world best-sellers year after year like Buddha Bar(and very expensive CDs to boot).
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:15 PM
ira

>Both Buddha Bar and Bed SupperClub in Bangkok have shown that they have withstood the test of time,...<

I guess that in today's climate, 11 years for one and 9 for the other could be construed, by some, to "have withstood the test of time".

Apr 5th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Ira

Just turned 55!
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Clearly, when you are talking about a club, let alone a restaurant, that is an exceptionally long time.
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:58 AM
ira

HI EP.

>Just turned 55!

Are you sure that you want to visit a "trendy" nightspot?
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM

You can be trendy at any age.
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM

As hard as it is to admit, I agree with "walkinaround." Even though I like to pretend to know what's happening around town....let's face it: when you're 40+, working, with a family...it's just not that easy to know the really happening places. Sure, you can READ about them...but the really happening places don't necessarily make the news. Sigh. Such is life!

In September, I went to LA and was dragged to the Sky Bar. I thought, "Surely, if I, a gal from the midwest, has heard about the Sky Bar, it can't be that cool/hip anymore." That being said, I did enjoy it. It surely isn't LA's "it" bar anymore, but it was still fun to go...if only to enjoy the after-glow of the "it scene." (Plus, if you get there early enough you can score an incredible "bed" overlooking LA and watch the parade of people fill up the place.)

So....go to the Buddha Bar. Enjoy it. Pretend it just opened & have an outrageous cocktail for all of us aging wanna-be hipsters.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO