budgeting while studying abroad

Dec 28th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

budgeting while studying abroad

I am studying abroad for six months, and though I am looking forward to my adventure across seas, I do have to budget my (or should I say my parents) money. Do you have any suggestions as to how to budget for this long, or types of financial aid I can look into to help me while I am there? Do you recommend trying to work over there?
Dec 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM

What type of living accomodations will you have? How about dining? Is it part of a package?

One thing I found that helped me while there is keeping a small notebook/journal of how I spent my money. I was surprised how "little expenses" really added up! Looking at it helped me revise some of my spending habits!
Dec 29th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Where are you from? I doubt you will be able to get papers to work legally.

I would budget for europe the same as you would at home while you are in school. If you are studying and staying in one place it would be similar (rent, food, classes, etc.).

Or do you plan to travel around during the six months? Then you need to plan those weeks like you would a vacation budget (hostels, trains, etc.).
Dec 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM

If you are a student you may be allowed to work up to a certain number of hours per year. Are you going through an organization that could (or will) orient you on these legal details? My daughter studied in Germany last year through her California University and there was a great orientation program.
Dec 29th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

i am planning to travel a lot, but i do have to watch my money. I will be living in an apartment with three or four other people, but I will stay in a hostel when i get there.
Dec 29th, 2005, 01:15 PM

yes, I think you can work legally for some hours if you are a student. There are some websites that discuss that a little more (maybe www.workabroad.com or something).

As for financial aid, well, if this is some official semester abroad program from your college, they would be the ones you are currently getting financial aid from, I would think. Usually those are by semester or loans or something. Other than that, I don't know of any way to just be given money to travel, basically. I gather this is all set and you are not going to be applying for a Fulbright or anything now in order to plan where to go, as that would be a possibility, also.
Dec 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Rather than trying to guess at a budget when we don't know what you will be doing... can't you wait until you are there and see what things cost, then travel as much as your money allows?

For tips about shoestring traveling I suggest going to the lonely planet website and reading their board similar to this one which is called The Thorn Tree. For guidebooks I recommend Let's Go, Rough Guides, and Lonely Planet.
Dec 30th, 2005, 05:27 AM

I agree. This is a perfect question for the Thorn Tree at lonelyplanet.com.
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Where in Europe will be studying?
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Heatherkay, one thing I found when I lived in Madrid for a semester is that my social life (and therefore, spending) increased dramatically. I spent way more on social activities over there (nightlife, eating out w/ new friends, etc.) than I did when I was on my college campus. Socially, it's a lot like going on vacation - you tend to spend more while you're away than you typically would if you were at home. I traveled, too, while I was in Madrid. I flew to Paris and Milan, so my budget also included side trips.
Dec 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM

.HK..I did babysitting. I loved it and the family I sat for most became friends..The now grown children have visited me! There are some faulous weekend deals- hotel and flight which can be found in most of the major cities. Make a real effort to get to know some of the local students. They will share suggestions re student holidays. Have fun.