Budget Travel Article: Portugal - Under the Alentejan Sun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who loved the Alentejo as much as I do or for those who are interested in visiting this area of Portugal for the first time, here's an article in the newest edition of Budget Travel magazine:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2pp2o5

I'm excited that it's on the cover of the magazine, but I'm disappointed at the same time - I don't want Portugal to be overrun by tourists
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:29 AM

Shhh----I love the Alentejo and don't want it to become the new Provence or Tuscany!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Hi Bailey

Haven't you noticed that there are scads of articles now about affordable Europe and Portugal is mentioned in every one of them? Ugh!

In fact, I read one that said that tourism there is up 20% in the last year or so and expected to climb even higher.

Oh well. I guess all good things must come to an end.

But it is probably great for their economy. I am trying to think silver lining.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM

I have quaffed a lot of a very lovely wine from the Alentejo recently. I would certainly like to visit, but I'm not inspired by a site entitled Bugdet Travel that then lists two of the three lodgings reviewed as starting at $200 (or above). Did I miss out on a Bill and Melinda give-away, is the Alentejo really expensive, or is Budget Travel a misnomer?

And how is public transportation in this area?

JQ
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 09:31 AM

JQ-

I can highly recommend the Casa Terena for a moderatley priced but excellently run B&B. Rates start at 65-75 euro. Several others on this board have recommended it, and I am so glad we listened and stayed there in early November, which btw is an excellent off-season time to visit (temps in the low 70's).

I would rent a car if at all possible as it is a great way to explore the scenery and the out of the way villages.

casa terena website:
http://62.140.221.80/english/index.html
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM

I just finished reading this recent article on Alentejao and the good news is that it leaves out a whole batch of cities that I think are far more interesting than the 6 or 7 thaat the author mentions briefly. We have stayed at, or visited, the Pousadas/Estralagems in Evora and Villa Vicosa and they are definately up there at the top of my list of "must do " Portuguese cities, however, just as interesting, IMHO, are Marvao, Estremoz, Beja and Elvas out to the West and Alcacer do Sol, Pamela and Setubal which are much closer to Lisbon for those who don't care to drive very far. I enjoyed this article, but I think for those who know this area of Portugal, much more info could have been included. So I really don't feel all that bad about all the new tourists. It also helps to travel to these citiew/towns in the off season...adeus

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Thanks cruisinred,

Casa Terena looks like a wonderful spot. I'll add it to my just opened favourites folder on Portugal.

JQ
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM

The Alentejo has many budget lodgings. Even the pousadas can be had for 75 Euro if you qualify for a Senior discount package.

That said, our next trip is almost exclusively in that region and our lodging choices are B&B's and the prices are 45-60 Euro.

The most we are paying is 95 Euro in Lisbon for a lovely apartment.

Some of the main tourist attractions are available to be seen by public transportation. By this I mean buses.

But rental cars in this area are still the best way to get around and the prices for rentals in Portugal is fairly reasonable.

This is just my opinion.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM

The pousada passports are such a good deal. For 480E. you get 4 nights accomodations and 5 days of car rental.
Thanks for the article in Budget-I printed it up. We will be in that area in September.
Yes,there have been a lot of articles on Portugal-the friendliest places to visit-top 10 destinations.Glad we're going this year-Chris
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Like the rest of you, I love the Alentejo. Right now I'm planning a four day quick trip and have decided to focus on the "Lower Alentejo", which seems to include everything south of Evora and north of the Algarve. I found a good website for this part of Portugal, in both English and Portuguese. http://www.rt-planiciedourada.pt/rtp...sentation.html

It doesn't include the Alentejan coast, just the lower interior Alentejo, but has lots of information and links to accommodations, driving routes, etc.

My only regret about focusing on the lower part is that I will have to forego a stop at the Olharia Pirraca, my favorite Portuguese pottery shop, http://localnet.pt/olaria-pirraca/index.html

It's very conveniently located for a stay at Casa de Terena, though!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Loba claims that everything which is good comes from the Alentejo. After much reflection I can't dispute that statement ;-)
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Lobo. As my DH would probably tell you: You got lucky and married a girl from the Alentejo!
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Aside from the "passports" for good Pousada rates, there is the Golden Age offer for 40% off. We managed to get reservations at two pousadas for 100 E's each, just about 40% off their minimum rates. Over 55 does it and all you need is passport or driver's license proof-of-age upon arrival.

We are looking forward to our visit end of March...it is my "last" European country standing...knocked off all of the rest in my 60 years of travel....yep, even the little guys (Andorra, Liechtenstein, Lux and San Marino).

After leaving Portugal, also going back to the UK for the first time this decade...managed to neutralize some of the sticker shock with "affordable" reservations in London and the Cotswolds.