Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budget restaurants and activities in Lake Como area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, two year old daughter and I will be spending five nights in Mezzegra on Lake Como in mid-September. We are looking for suggestions for budget and kid friendly restaurants and activities in the area. By kid friendly I just mean casual places where children would be welcome, not chain restaurants or that sort of thing (if those even exist in this area). We love small, locally owned restaurants with simple, traditional dishes. One of our favorite meals in Rome a few years back was a tiny little restaurant that did not even have a sign outside, where the waiter sat down with us at the table and made recommendations on what to order. But we also loved a little pizza place that was just take out and we had to sit on a bench down the street to eat it. Recommendations for breakfast/lunch/dinner are welcome - I am sure we will cook a bit at our villa, too, but I would not mind having recommendations for all three.

On activities, we are hoping to be able to spend a lot of time outdoors, but it would also be good to have a few indoor suggestions in case there is bad weather. We are in our early thirties and fairly fit but I will be 6 months pregnant and with the two year old in tow, so we may avoid strenuous hikes and things like that. I do not think we will rent a car, but we will definitely take the bus and the ferries. Thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Tha
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Hmmm ! What happened???

That location may dictate your feasible options. The village is small. Have you asked your rental agent?

We did like a small trattoria in Lenno next to the church--same name as the church I believe. Good luck !
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I second Bob's suggestion of speaking with your rental agent. Mezzegra would seem to be equidistant from Lenno and Tremezzo, and you'll be going to one or the other town to catch a ferry. Here's the schedule for the bus you're likely to use the most:

http://www.sptlinea.it/LinkClick.asp...language=en-US

And here are the ferry timetables:

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc_ora.html
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

I realize that with the ferries stopping as early as they do, our location will limit our options for dinner. However, the villa is a five minute walk from the bus stop and the bus comes quite frequently. We would normally catch the ferry from Tremezzo (5 to 10 minute bus ride) but could go to Lenno as well without too much effort. We will be staying in the area for five days. So I am sure that we could manage to get to most suggested restaurants and activities in the area that we want to . . . I cannot imagine any reason why we would need to limit ourselves to Mezzegra for five days?? So please let me know what suggestions you have for the area in general, even if not in or even that near to Mezzegra.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.bellacomo.com/lake-como-with-children.html
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 03:09 AM

The restaurant in Lenno next to the church is probably Santo Stefano; it is not budget but it is a SlowFood member and therefore has to conform to certain price guidelines which make it affordable to many. I had a good meal there; they are known for their fish ravioli but the menu is ample.

http://www.santostefano.too.it/

In the hamlet of Rogaro, in the hills not far from your rental, you will find a place which is less expensive than the more obvious places by the lakeshore. La Fagurida. The food is land-based and local; therefore they do not offer fish, and they do not offer pasta. Request a window table.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Just wanted to add that we will most definitely ask our rental company, but they are not a travel agency and I have received such wonderful recommendations from this board for past trips that I would love more input from here as well.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Audrey: I searched for the kind of places you are looking for prior to my own trip two years ago. You can read my report which will have some comments about the places we ate two years ago. In general, all of the restaurants will welcome children. You are fortunate because two of the most well regarded mid-lake eateries are close to your villa--the one I mentioned above, and Al Veluu which is above Tremezzo. Al Veluu is not budget but is reportedly excellent and since it is away from the lake, I expect that prices are not outrageous.

Keep in mind that there are in general two types of cuisine in and around the lake: Lake based and land based. The former, which includes most of the lakeside eateries, most of which cater to tourists, will offer lake fish and, in most cases, more of a pan-Italian menu. The land based places will offer the more unusual, mountain dishes and will feature, for example, polenta rather than pasta. These places may be hard to reach without a car, but the first place I mentioned above, in Rogaro, is a good example.

I hope you will report back with your "finds!"
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!!