Budget no issue - Santorini lodging??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am honeymooning in Santorini the first week of October. We have Katikies Suites reserved. Just read the awful review on them, though have also read some wonderful ones. Question -- if budget were not an issue (the beauty of credit cards ...), where would you stay on Santorini?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:52 PM

I can't answer your question about the best place, but your post has me startled. What does that mean, "if budget were not an issue (the beauty of credit cards. . ." ? Does your fiance have any idea you think using a credit card negates budget responsibilities? Or am I missing the point of your comment?

And for what it's worth, I often find that when someone here says that budget or cost is not an issue, as soon as people start recommending really expensive places, they come back and say something like "well, not that expensive". So what are we talking about here? A rented movie star type hideaway that goes for $10,000 or more a night? Or is budget really an issue after all?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Even though budget is not an issue, you might check out LuxuryLink.com.
They have some great offers on the top places in the greek islands, especially since you are going non-peak season.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM

We will be staying at Pegasus Suites during that time...it looks great on their web site and I have heard great reviews as well.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Oia Mare (http://www.oiamare.gr/) is a beautiful place in Oia at the end of the island. Private apartments, grotto-type pool overlooking the caldera, a five minute walk into the town. You won't have as much of night clubs and tourists as Fira (the capital) but it is a dreamy wonderful place and not TOO expensive--the rates drop Oct 1. Good luck and have a wonderful trip.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:13 PM

THE *_Top of the line_* room in Oia is the Perivolas Suite at the Perivolas Villas. In October it will be 1200 or 1300 Euro/night for a STUNNING palace of a suite. Absolutely fabuloso in an eye-popping, beautiful setting.

Truthfully, although the 3 Katikies properties were of an excellent quality, they weren't all that different from several others of the same quality, including Perivolas Villas, Ikies, Oia Mare, Esperas and Canaves II. There weren't any outstanding special features that to me justified the high prices.

But for a lot less, if you are willing to forego room service and normal hotel amenities, I enthusiastically recommend the Aspaki Suites. They are by far the best accomodations available for the money spent. I stayed 4 weeks in Oia this last May-June and toured several properties there for the express purpose of being able to provide current and accurate information here and on other travel forums. In my estimation the 4 houses of Aspaki are by far the most beautifully-appointed properties in the village (if not on the whole island), so artfully decorated with a combination of old, new, whimsy and impeccable taste. Again, these are not part of a hotel. Although you'll get daily maid service, there are no restaurants on the premises, no pool (but there IS a large outdoor spa with waterfall!) and no room service. I don't know if you know this or not, but the pools on the island aren't heated and in October they will be very cold. There are plenty of restaurants in the village within a very short walking distance, including the very upscale gourmet restaurants of '1800' and Ambrosia, as well as many other excellent restaurants and tavernas.

Check out the Aspaki website before you make your choice.

www.artmaisons.gr
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all the folks who offered helpful suggestions about lodging. I will look into them all now. Brotherleelove, the Perivolas suite sounds fantastic -- will check it out. Thanks again.