Budget lodging for one night in Rome

Sep 24th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Mike

Budget lodging for one night in Rome

We have to leave a day earlier than planned and are arriving in Rome probably too late to catch a train to Florence. Would it be foolhardy to wait and see if we can make the train and, if we cannot,try to find a place for one night in Rome at nine o'clock at night? If we just go ahead and decide to forget the train and go to Florence the next day, any reccomendations for a relatively inexpensive one night stopover?
Thanks,
Mike

Sep 24th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Mike

or even recommendations.(

Sep 24th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Helen Donegan

Hi Mike
There has been another thread of messages in the past few days answering almost the same question - "Train Rome-Florence, impossible connection?"

Sep 24th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Walter

Hi Mike, I followed your "Mission Impossible" thread (that was him Helen. I've stayed at the 2* Scott House Hotel, it's just 2 short blocks from the side entrance of the side you will arrive on from Termini. Also you will pass "Luggage Storage" on the long walk from the train into the main station, in case you want to drop any large bags for the night. I've stayed there twice, it is a "Let's Go" recommended hotel with alot of young backpackers but they usually aren't that noisey, I'm 47. They confirm quickly by e-mail and the staff is English speaking. The rooms aren't romantic but modern, clean, bright and small (Spartan). There is an elevator, 24hr manned desk (request that floor, far down the hall facing the courtyard [quieter]). The rooms have an ensuite bathroom (toilet, bidet, sink, shower), tv, phone, desk, safe. The b'fast is *very* light coffee, juice, crossant/bread.
If you do try for the train and miss it, call from the station they will give a cheaper rate over the phone if they have rooms. If they're full still go to their building, there are 4 or 5 other 2* hotels there on different floors plus more in the surrounding area. I've never used it and have heard pros & cons but there is a hotel finding service in Termini. HTH Regards, Walter

Sep 24th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Walter

Opps forgot the website www.scotthouse.com/

Sep 24th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Helen Donegan

Thanks Walter - I didn't check the name - I did think it was a VERY big coincidence!

Sep 24th, 2001, 09:06 PM
Mike

Thanks a lot Walter..very helpful info...
wasn't trying to be devious helen, just expanding a little, and the readers here never disappoint...thanks again,
Mike

Sep 25th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Helen Donegan

Have a great holiday Mike.

Sep 25th, 2001, 02:47 PM
YS

Mike,

According to Trenitalia web site at http://www.fs-on-line.com/, there are three trains from Rome to Florence after 9pm:
9:10p EuroNight (Florence at 11:50pm)
21:30p EuroStar (Florence at 11:05pm)
10:25p Intercity (Florence at 1:35pm)
The 10:25 train leaves from Roma Tiburtina, not from the Termini station, however.

The earliert train in the mortning leaves at 4:08am (Tiburtina) followed by 5:13(Tiburtina) 5:20 (Termini), 6:12 and about every half hour thereafter.

Depending on how you arive in Rome you may or may not want to get a hotel. If you are flying from the US, especially on a connected flight, there are chanses that your flight will arrive later then scheduled. You will probably be tired, therefore I would suggest staying at the hotel. Try hotel Caprice just off Via Veneto (can be booked on-line on Expedia.com), the rates are generally under $100, (we paied 180,000Lira, which was about $80 a night) and includes breakfast. It is about 8 minute taxi ride from Termini train station which will cost about $6.