Air marshals on Alitalia flights??

Sep 14th, 2001, 11:01 PM
dawn

Air marshals on Alitalia flights??

Just wondering if Alitalia uses air marshals (or if they'll start doing so) on flights out of NY?

I'm so scared to fly right now I havent gone home (which happens to be NY). I'm in NC at the beach now (the scariest thing here are the shark attacks I'm in no hurry to get on any plane, and I must say in no hurry to breathe asbestos and the horrid stench coming from downtown. My friend says its awful, the smell of death and decay.

I can only thank god I wasnt near downtown when this happened and my apt. is not down there.

Sep 15th, 2001, 03:39 AM
Sjoerd

Of course Alitalia (or any other airline) will NOY have "air marshals" on its flights. It is a totally ridiculous idea.
The terrorists have used this weapon last Tuesday. Next time they will use a different weapon. They will poison a drinking water system somewhere. They will spray gas in a metro system. They will blow up a bridge or tunnel during rush hour. Let's hope our countries' security services are investigating possible targets and infiltrating terrorist organisations.
Flying in an airplane has probably never been safer.

Sep 15th, 2001, 03:40 AM
Sjoerd

"NOY" should be "NOT" of course.

Sep 15th, 2001, 04:11 AM
micia

Dawn: I wouldn't be so sure that all airlines will now have marshalls aboard.
If Alitalia does this, they will not be doing it on all flights (maybe on those to and from the US).
I know that other airlines here in Europe are not adding them.
You may be able to ask the airline itself, if they will be using them.

Sep 15th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Chris

I heard from a coworker that all international flights do, but they are flying incognito... they just look like one of the other passengers. I don't know if that's true and was wondering if anyone else heard that?

Sep 15th, 2001, 04:37 AM
micia

Just to be clear, I was not talking about flights within the US. I believe those will all have air marshalls.

Sep 15th, 2001, 09:33 AM
kavey

I am just guessing, but I would wonder whether they will have enough people who can step in and me marshalls so quickly?

Wont it take some recruitment and training to be able to put marshalls on every plane?

Just wondering?

Kavey

Sep 15th, 2001, 12:39 PM
What?

Sjoerd, You are surely on to something. What a great observation! Now that we have had this tragedy, our planes are safe and we can just let folks bring knives onto planes, because we know they'll never hijack another plane in this fashion again.

How silly. This attack was far and away the most successful terror attack anywhere. Unless we improve security, the same exact thing will happen again. How about we beef up security as much as possible to deter the terrorists and catch them if they try to go after us again?

Sep 25th, 2001, 03:11 PM
cdny

Here in NY they are talking about air marshalls on all flights, and they are usually not in uniform and they carry guns and they are now Border Patrol from Texas,and Federal Police - so they will just keep getting more of them, it isn't like they have to go out and teach people to be air marshalls, the people just have to be given that job.Know what I mean? And you would be surprised how many flights you have already taken that have had air marshalls on them-I was in the city Sunday and there was no smell, that is right at the site and no one is allowed near there but the rescue workers..and the air is tested every day and has stayed safe.Glad you feel safe in NC, but things are getting back to normal here, the skyline has changed and there are a lot of grieving people, but life is going on.

Sep 25th, 2001, 03:43 PM
bz

Sjoerd makes a few good points about terrorists probably taking another tack from air to something else, but the snippiness and insensitivity to someone in fear is inexcusable. I'm hoping just the random chance that an air marshal will be aboard is an inhibiting factor in and of itself. And I hope the airlines will develop 20 more countermeasures that NONE of us will know about or be sure when they are used. Dawn, one of my family members pilots for a major airline, and he says that with the current super-vigilance, flying has never been safer. I know that doesn't allay all fears, but I just can't let all this scare me out of flying - can't let them win.