Search

budget hotels in Prague recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
budget hotels in Prague recommendation

Hi,

can anyone recommended any budget hotels that is centrally located, near all the tourist sites. I am trying to stay under 100 euro (including all the taxes) per night.

thanks again for your input.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:50 PM

look into the Pension Dientzenhofer, and the Cloister Inn.
check tripadvisor.com for reviews
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Prague is a very walkable city, and it is easy to walk to the main tourist stuff (Old Town Square, Charles Bridge, etc) from everywhere else, as long as you are fairly central. Plus Prague's mass transit system is excellent - trams and the metro get you almost everywhere and a day travel pass is cheap. So it's not as essential to be right in the thick of things in Prague as it might be in other European cities.

For hotels, one piece of advice: the Mala Strana neighborhood (west side of the river) is really cool, but beware getting a hotel that is up the hill toward the castle! I did this last month, in a little pension that wasn't bad but was horribly inconvenient due to the walk up the hill from the tram stop. I would love to stay in Mala Strana again if I knew I would not be up the hill! I wound up staying in Josev for the last two nights and that was much more convenient, though I liked Mala Strana better.

Priceline is a great resource for getting good hotels if you are on a budget. People regularly get the Marriott there for about $105/night - check out BiddingForTravel.com . Just make sure your plans are solid before doing a Priceline bid, because you can't change or cancel a Priceline reservation. But in many cases you will get a far nicer hotel for the money with Priceline than you could ever get any other way.

Andrew
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your input.

Andrew - i was thinking booking through priceline. can you advise what area is more centrally located. East, Southeast or West. that's 3 options that you can pick the area from. i just want to make sure at least it is within central area. the area that you mentioned, Mala Strana neighborhood (west side of the river), is that the west area??

thanks again for your suggestions.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Is Zizkov a good area to stay?? based on what i read, it is 15 min walk to Wenceslas Square and
10 min Walk to Municipal Hall (Obecni Dum). is it a walkable to old town and charles bridge?? what transportation is avail.??
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 10:04 PM

The east side zone on Priceline would put you closest to the main tourist sites. But you can make it less of a guessing game by checking out BiddingForTravel.com and go to the Prague hotels section. You'll see a list of the hotels people have gotten so far/lately in Prague on Priceline, then you can figure out where they are. There is always a chance you will be the first one to get a certain hotel (I got the Intercontinental Prague last month and was the first to report it on BFT), but chances are you'll get one of the already-reported hotels shown on BFT. Be willing to accept any of those hotels you see on the hotel list before bidding on Priceline.

I would probably stick with 4-star and higher and go for the east zone. The Marriott and Renaissance in that zone are across the street from each other, are just a short walk from old town square and convenient to Náměstí Republiky Metro station. As of today, if you keep your bid above 3-stars, the Southeast zone is a "free rebid" meaning you can add it and raise your bid price and know you won't get a hotel in Southeast, because there are no 3-star hotels in Southeast Prague according to Priceline. People are getting the 5-star Marriott for around $105/night at times according to BFT, but it depends on availability.

Andrew
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:45 AM

The site http://www.inyourpocket.com has good, long, annotated lists of hotels and hostels of all classes.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:57 AM
cherylforeurope

We just got back from Europe yesterday and Prague was our last stop. We stayed at an apartment in Old Town for under 100 Euro. It was around the corner from the square and 5 minutes from Charles Bridge. Had a small grocery store and post office on the corner and a metro stop. Excellent, excellent location. http://www.athos.cz/apartment-zatecka..it was the smaller of the two. I will say it's probably not for everyone...the entrance looked a little shady but we talked to several people who live in the building and they assured us it was a safe building. Does not have a TV if that's important. Enjoy your trip...Prague was one of our favorite cities.

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Re: Priceline bidding. If you bid 4* East there is a chance you would get Corinthia Towers Hotel which is easy to get from Vysehard metro but the one time I was in the area not much else was there so you would have to metro or taxi most of the time. Corinthia Towers Hotel is listed as known hotel at Bidding forTravel but rarely shows up, but you have to take your chances.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 06:43 AM

www.happyhouserentals.com has all prices, but you have to search through all the listings (apartments & rooms)

Also, www.marys.cz has them broken down by price/location, etc (pensions, etc)

Zizkov is a big area. Yes, there is transportation. Hotel Anna is popular. Also, around Flora there are some choices. I wouldn't go much farther out than that, because you'll be out of the loop.