Budget hotel in Aix

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 12:07 PM
Barbara

Budget hotel in Aix

We are looking for an inexpensive hotel in Aix en Provence that is accesable to the rail station. Nothing fancy

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 05:11 PM
Boots

Les Quatre Dauphins is inexpensive 280-400 FF)and about four blocks from the station. FAX 011-33-4-42-38-60-19. It does not have a lift. The Mercure Paul Cézanne is just across the street from the station (390-545 FF). FAX 011-33-4-42-27-20-95. Both are also near the Cours Mirabeau, the heart of Aix. In March I stayed at Des Augustins, a lovely hotel just a few feet off the Cours Mirabeau, but its prices range from 500-1200 FF. FAX 011-33-4-42-26-74-87. I think Aix is a lovely city. Boots

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 02:13 PM
Margo

SAINT CHRISTOPHE: 2, ave. Victor Hugo. Tel: 0442260124. Fax: 0442385317. Web site: http://www.francemarket.com/st_christophe/ E-mail: [email protected] (58 rms., 6 duplexes, all w/toilet & bath or shower.) 375-430F/57-66EUR single; 425F/65EUR (shower)-465F/71EUR (bath)-565F/86EUR double; 610-770F/93-117EUR triple/quad. Call for duplex rates. Air-conditioned. Buffet breakfast 7-10:30am) at 50F pp can be served in the room & on the terrace in warm weather. Visa, MC, DC, AX. English spoken (Catherine & Oliver), cable TV, grand elegant hotel w/nicely to elegantly furnished & provincial-art-style decorated rms.which vary in size from standard to large, #109 & 112 (both w/double beds, showers & terraces) are for a double; #110, 111, 114, 314 & 312 (all large rms. w/2 twin beds, bathtubs & terraces) at 465F for a double; #218 (large rm. w/double bed, large bathroom w/bathtub & huge terrace) at 565F for a double; #404, 405 406, 407, 408 & 409 (all beautiful duplexes) are for a family; 1 rm. has handicapped access, hair driers, soundproofed, great noisy location, bar, restaurant, elevator, 7 flrs., parking (61F per day). Owned/managed by Jean Paul Bonnet. They offer full-& half-board rates. 5-min.walk.from train station

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 10:23 AM
Barbara

Boots I e-mailed the Les Quatre Daupnins and they are sending me a brochure. Thanks

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 02:48 AM
Anne

I recommend "Le Manoir", an old convent in the heart of the old town. The largest double room costs FFR 490 a night. It is very quiet and breakfast can be taken in the former cloister. We have stayed there several times, including last May. You can find their web site by going into provenceweb.com and looking under Bouches du Rhone and then Aix. It is about a brisk 12 minute walk from the station.

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 05:48 AM
Rex

Just back from 19 days in Germany, Provence and Venice and I have this to share about Aix-en-Provence: the Cours Mirabeau is badly torn up with "Re-qualification" having the street badly gutted from one end to the other, and barely one lane of trafic moving down one side. Even the tourist information booth (as you approach the city from the Cours Gambetta) conceals this fact - - we stopped there to ask about parking recommendations and they advised us to drive right down the length of the CM and never said a word about this.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 10:49 AM
Carol

I strongly second Anne's suggestion of Le Manoir. When I was in Aix, I stayed at the Hotel Negre-Coste on the Cours Mirabeau. It was quite pleasant, but in the course of my wanderings about town, I came upon Le Manoir and promised myself that if I ever returned to Aix, I'd stay there. It's very charming and convenient to everything.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 08:25 AM
suncor

Rex, I am planning a 6 day stay in Aix mid August. Did you get any sense of how long the construction would last? Was it so bad that you would recommend staying elsewhere?

Barbara, I was just quoted 379FF for a room with shower and toilet on the 4th floor at the Quatre Dauphins. I'm planning on staying at the Hotel De France (324 for large single with bathroom and 274 for standard single with shower and toilet). It has gotten mixed reviews on this forum but seems to have a good location and a/c and an elevator. I don't know much about the Hotel Paul, but the rate they quoted was very inexpensive (206F for a single) Only problem is they require a deposit on one night which they say they will not refund no matter when you cancel.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 08:34 AM
jayne

We also just visited Aix. The cours Mirabeau construction project is scheduled to continue through 2002! It's still a lovely city and we had a perfect lunch at Gu and Fils (in Peter's Mayle's book), but the cours was a big disappointment.