Reload this Page >

Safe to Drive/Tuscany?

Search

Safe to Drive/Tuscany?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:05 AM
Robyn

Safe to Drive/Tuscany?

I would like to plan a driving trip through Tuscany next year with my mother and sister. Is it safe for 3 women to drive in Italy alone? For some reason I have it in my mind that it is more dangerous than say France or Spain for some reason. Is this unfounded? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Werndy Carrell

Hi Robyn <BR>We went to Tuscany 3 years ago,and although we are a couple,we made friends with 4 woman traveling together.They rented a car and did lots of driving through Tuscany and up as high as Venice. NO PROBLEM. It's always a good idea to be carefull when traveling anwhere.Keep a low profile,don't be too loud or get drunk,don't wander around dark streets at night alone, don't give eye contact to men or give them signels of incouragement etc. (all the things your mother told you)Tuscany is a truly beautiful place, the people are friendly the food is great and I would go back in a heartbeat.Driving can be a little different from the US,but outside the cities there is not the same problem. Don't try to drive in Florence, you can't drive in Sienna, they make you leave your car out side the town. <BR>Srolling Gypsy children are usualy found in major cities, but it's as well to know about them any way.They try to distact you with a map or questions,they travel in groups and look like tourist kids( 8-15 years old) while you are distracted, they pick your pockets, purse or handbag. <BR>Alaways be on guard in the cities of Italy. Have a wonderful time.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 10:16 AM
candy

i wouldn't say it's harder to drive there, but it has its quirks. like drivers who almost consistently tailgate and have no patience with you if you're going too slow for them. (i overreacted once to extreme prodding from one driver and went faster than i felt comfortable with on a small twisty road and ended up in a ditch--the villagers helped me out, but i learned my lesson: not to let them rattle me. i drove 10,000 kilometers in 2 months, and this was the only actual incident. i did see quite a few accidents on the autostradas. italian drivers are incredibly skilled, but the chances they routinely take for the thrill of driving do lead them into trouble sometimes.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 05:35 PM
mary

We just returned a few weeks ago from Tuscany-- the driving was fine-- once on the backroads we saw very few cars. I would suggest that you bring great maps from this country(Michelin etc.) since the routes are not always posted. We made a point to search out the next town as a landmark. It was one of the most pleasurable trips of our lives!! <BR>Enjoy <BR>Mary

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:21 PM
Louise

Hi Robyn, I have driven in Tuscany both alone (three years ago) and with another woman (last year) and felt completely safe. Just be aware of the rules of the road on the autostrada - stay out of the left lane except to pass, and once you have passed, return to the right lane as soon as possible. The two lane roads are perfectly safe, but there is no shoulder, and it is difficult to find a place to pull over. I agree, get a really good map, enjoy the beautiful countryside, and have a wonderful trip.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 05:34 AM
amg

Robyn, <BR> <BR>I agree with the above posters. It is safe and fun to drive as long as you use your commen sense and let people pass if they are tailing you. I have driven in Italy, France and Spain with friends (3-4 women) and we have never had any major problems. Driving into the cities is not fun, but is doable, if you have to pick up or drop off a car. It is similiar to driving into a major US city. You can do it if you stay calm, have a good map, and good navigators in the car with you. We always look at the map as a group before we start driving so every one in the car can help find road signs and hotels. Ask your rental company for additional regional maps if you need them. We pick up our car in Venice and got a map for Florence/Tuscany also. <BR> <BR>The most challanging thing about 3 woman in a car in Europe is getting your luggage in the trunk. <BR> <BR>Have fun and remember to leave the driving stress in the car. <BR> <BR>Aileen

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 10:46 AM
ginny

We drove from Rome to Florence and throughout Tuscany. The rural areas of Tuscany were no problem. In fact, it allowed us the freedom to see even the smallest towns -- where buses don't go. <BR> <BR>I suggest ditching the car if you go to Florence, however. City driving is NOT fun!