Reload this Page >

budget hotel for single female traveller

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 03:58 PM
lisa

i will be in london for two days before flying to the continent on business. can any of you recommend a reasonable hotel/B&B that would be suitable for a single female traveller. i would prefer to be in a neighbourhood close to nice shopping, etc. <BR> <BR>thanks.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Gina

I love the Arran House, on Gower Street near University College London. It's right by the British Museum and just a few blocks' walk from shopping on Oxford Street, Regent Street, and so on. An easy hop to my favorite London store of all, Liberty's. There are also three convenient Tube stops within a couple of blocks. There is no lift (elevator), so if you don't like climbing stairs it might not be for you, but it's a lovely place, with a nice back garden (great in late spring and summer), friendly staff, and comfortable rooms. I've felt perfectly safe walking back to the Arran after midnight from seeing shows in the West End. <BR> <BR>Their Web site is http://www.london-hotel.co.uk/english.html. Singles with shower and WC are 55 GBP per night; I usually save 10 pounds, or about $17 US, per night by taking a non-ensuite single for 45 GBP.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 11:03 PM
ldsant

I've stayed at the Vicarage Hotel in Kensington (about 2 blocks away from what used to be Princess Di's palace!). I travel solo. It's also only about 3 blocks from the Notting Hill area. Can take both tube stops and walk very easily. I think it's about $65 per night. You can book via email too! Have a great trip.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 03:25 AM
Gigi

Hello, Lisa! <BR>I've stayed in both areas. Gina is right about Gower Street, many fine budget hotels and good access to the tube and buses. <BR>If you want to do any shopping, however, I would probably stay in Kensington. I found the shopping is much better in this area. <BR>Bon Voyage! <BR>Gigi <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:22 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>A very nice B&B, which is in a posh residential neighborhood (i.e. not very close to shops - you would have to walk through Hampstead Heath to get to Golders Green tube stop - maybe a 15 min walk) would be my recommendation. It is called Iolanthe and I've stayed there twice. <BR> <BR>It's 25 pounds a night for a single, and it was 35 pounds for a double - the en suites are slightly more. <BR> <BR>It is a very lovely house in a beautiful neighborhood in north London. <BR> <BR>The number is 0208-455-1417 and the owners are Rosy and Simon Gill. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>Beth