budget eats in the 7th/Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a great apartment to stay in Paris in the 7th district. I'm concerned about where to take my two always hungry teenagers to eat. What are some good places for takeout or a quick bite that won't break my budget. Are there any grocery stores nearby? Is Rue Cler a street for gourmands or does it have something for every budget?
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:05 AM

I don't have any specific suggestions, but I think you have the wrong assessment of Rue Cler. To my knowledge there are no real upscale places along there, but lots of good eating. We had a wonderful "market" lunch at one spot that was such a bargain.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Rue Cler has a fruit stand, a butcher shop (where you can buy pre-cooked meats), a bakery, a chocolate shop, a wine shop, maybe a cheese shop, and a small grocery. All are great sources of take-away food for picnics and having in the apartment. There is also an excellent little crepe stand outside of the cafe just up the street from the fruit market. We did have a great dinner one night at the cafe there as well. I don't remember it being particularly expensive, but the food was good!

I can't help with any other restaurants in the area, as we never seemed to be near there when we wanted to eat dinner.

We did get breakfast every morning from the fruit stand and bakery and eat it on a bench in the Champs du Mars!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:29 AM

The 7th is generally regarded by Parisians as offering the best quality/price restaurants in all of Paris. There are more Michelin "Bib Gourmand" ratings here than anywhere else. Rue Cler is the one area to avoid...it has been overwhelmed by American tourists seeking cheap eats etc. Let us know where, specifically, you are thinking of renting; we will give you some ideas for good spots to frequent. JP
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

The apartment is on Rue Valadon. According to the owner, it's a half block from Rue Cler.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM

As mentioned, there are lots of takeout places on rue Cler and close by, ranging from very inexpensive Asian takeout to the very upscale Flo. I can't think of an actual restaurant on rue Cler except for the Café du Marché, which IMO is wretched.
The restaurants on the Place Ecole Militaire are not bargains. The Punjab restaurant on ave. Lowendal provides copious servings of excellent Indian food at very good prices. The little supermarket on the corner of the Place Ecole Militaire and Avenue de Tourville is a great place to pick up inexpensive picnic foods (and great crossants and pains au chocolat in the morning), and there's a Franprix on rue Cler itself.
The Croque au Sel on the rue Ste-Dominique (just a few blocks up the avenue Bosquet from place Ecole Militaire) has inexpensive menus for diners who order before 8 pm - and it's not an expensive place to begin with. On the avenue Bosquet just north of place Ecole Militaire there's the Bistro de Papa, a good Sicilian/Italian place (just beyond Bistro de Papa), and across the street a Chinese restaurant. Also the Auberge Bressane on the avenue de Tourville is a good bargain, as is the Thai restaurant at 123 avenue Duquesne.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:08 PM
TravelLaughter

For the 7th, you cannot go wrong if one source is Cheap Eats, Sandra Gustafson, mentioned many times before. Earlier in January we used it for four places - Bistrot de Breuteuil, Petit Nicois, Au Petit Tonneau and Bistrot Le P'tit Troquet. Very good, not haut, but great value and great wine selection, lesser areas.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM

One night we were walking back to our hotel, looking for a place to eat. We had passed by this place many times both to and from our metro stop, and decided to stop there. This was mainly a choice of convenience.

It was Café le Bosquet and we really enjoyed it. When we returned home, just out of curiosity's sake I Googled it, and found its website. Apparently it's a Rick Steve's mention - if that makes a difference to you (good or bad), I'm not sure.

At any rate, I really liked it and the prices were very reasonable. It's located at 46 Avenue Bosquet. The owner was really quite friendly and our waitress was very nice, also.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

My kids are pretty adventurous eaters, so thanks for all the suggestions. Any Greek places close by that have the gyros type sandwich my husband and I survived on during our last trip to Paris (15 years ago), or do we have to go to the Latin Quarter for those?
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Rue Cler is upscale for groceries and those food stands, stuff is more expensive there than many street markets. However, that's just food and by upscale I mean expensive. I think any take-away stuff you buy there will be cheap in comparison to buying it in a restaurant, probably.

Thank goodness there are no cheap Greek restaurants there throwing plates and dragging in tourists. I think you will have to go to rue de la Huchette for that junk. There are some good gyro-type pita wraps and middle Eastern things in the Marais on rue des Rosiers (4th arr.), I bet your teens would like that and you too, if you like that kind of food.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thankfully we have a bigger budget now than we did 15 years ago. The gyros did taste wonderful back then, but that could have been because it was our first time to Paris. What's a good place to go for good old-fashioned French food, like cassoulet? Where can you find a good croque monsieur? What's a good place to plop down for my cafe au lait and croissant? I read somewhere that rue de la Huchette was known as "Bacteria Alley" so we'll probably steer clear of that area. thanks so much for all the suggestions.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I cannot say if these are considered budget, but Thomieux in the 7th makes a good cassoulet (according to friends/I don't eat red meat), Cafe Max on Ave de Motte Picquet which is near your flat and Allarde in the 6th..one of my all time favorites.
Get a Zagats Paris..they have a section just for teens.
We will also be in the 7th, staying right off of rue Cler .
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 04:28 PM

We had a delicious but cheap meal at an Asian traiteur called "Ji Li" at 78 blvd de Grenelle (the far side of the metro overpass) last Oct. It's kind of like an Asian "deli" - you point at things you want to eat, they put on a plate and charge by the weight. You can eat well for 7-8€ per person. Similar places seem to be all around - if the food looks good (not like it has been sitting out for days) give it a try.

We have eated dinner at Brasserie Ecole Militaire, where you can more or less order just what you want, rather than going thru a 3-or-4 course 'formal' meal.

It ought to be easy to find a casual place that sells pizza or sandwiches in that area.

We had a Croque Monsieur at a café in 1997 at the corner of ave de Tourville/blvd de la tour Maubourg (I think). I've got a photo of hubby sitting at a sidewalk table there.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 04:47 PM

I found these in the Yellow Pages (www.pagesjaunes.fr):

Pizzeria / coffee shop -
http://pizzeriatourville.com/index-gb.htm
10 avenue de Tourville

Pizza les Artistes
98 blvd de Grenelle
(near where rue Dupleix meets blvd de Grenelle)

Boulangeries:
Pain d'Epis - 63 ave Bosquet
There are at least 6 different ones on rue St Dominique
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Speaking of sandwiches, there is a shop called Cosi on rue de Seine that makes very good sandwiches.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:10 PM

I know StCirq dislikes Cafe du Marche on rue Cler but I always had a good meal which ran around $13 for dinner in 2001 including a bottle of wine. I didn't particularly like the crepes at the stand in front but I only tried the chocolate. I was in Paris for a month a block from rue Cler so was always looking for cheap eats

Another place I liked for cheap eats was Pizza Milano at the Seine and Blvd San Michel. Not like the pizza you order at home and there is patio seating right on the blvd for people watching.

For a great break and people watching, the Le Depart St Michel right across the street from the pizza restaurant has a terrific New York Sundae plus other menu items for lunch/dinner (I always stopped for the sundaes

Rue Cler has something for every budget with lots of food shops and what a great place to buy flowers, cheap, for your apartment (I bought a new bunch every week). The grocery store on the corner of the Place Ecole Militaire and Avenue de Tourville (as mentioned above) is much better than the ones on rue Cler.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the responses. I hope I get to all of these places in one week.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:26 AM

Monique, a short walk from your apartment is Le Bistrot du 7eme, at 56 bd la Tour Maubourg, They have menus at 12 and 16 euros and are open every day (except for lunch on the weekend). If you go to lesrestos.com you can access their menus etc. Across the street is La Source, a pleasant cafe for coffee and a sandwich etc. And Cafe Constant is probably the finest Cafe we have ever experienced; food and prices to die for! JP
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Oakglen beat me to it but I second the recommendation of Bistro du 7eme. It is very reasonable and the menu vrey typically French and very good. We really enjoyed our dinner there this fall.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Here's another recommendation of Bistro du 7me. If you want to have lunch there, make sure to go early as the place fills up very quickly.
Another one we liked very much is Pasco (Corner Boulevard de la Tour Maubourg - rue Chevert). Lots of locals!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -