Budget contract includes charging CC for fines, not just admin fee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're in Czech Republic and rented a car from Budget. I was surprised to see language on the contract stating Budget could charge my CC for any fines AND an admin fee (for up to one year after the rental). I recall other discussions here that the car rental companies were only allowed to charge the admin fee to provide the rentor's address. Maybe the law is different in CR or has changed?

(not much I could do about it other than try not to break the law!)
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

*in* the contract.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 12:28 AM

Ultimately, as the holder of the vehicle, the rental company is liable for the fine, so it seems reasonable that they would include that clause in the contract. They will probably only use it if the renter does not pay the fine and they are left holding the baby.

It may be in other contracts too, but most people don't read what they are signing. I don't think it is illegal for them to have that clause anywhere.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 05:51 AM

Elizabeth, I am not clear on whether you are complaining about this or not, but it sounds like you are by this statement
(not much I could do about it other than try not to break the <<law!)>>. In other words, you would like to "do something about it" meaning not agree to it.

To me, it sounds like a good thing, a lot easier than what people have to go through to try to pay the fine themselves, and often the notice can be pretty late.

So why are you objecting to this? Is your position that if they didn't pay it, you would refuse to pay it yourself even if you broke the law?
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 06:46 AM

It sounds to me like Elizabeth would like the opportunity to contest the fine. Sometimes the fines from cameras are incorrect. Maybe the license plate is misread or whatever.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Actually I was just passing along the information because it has been discussed in the past and some felt it was illegal (I know at one point it was illegal in some provinces of Canada to just pass the fine along, but I digress) I agree with Mimar that it does blunt or complicate the ability to dispute a traffic violation.

And by "not much I can do about it" I simply meant I signed the contract ....
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 07:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
That's new to me. I wonder if it is specfic to Budget? Or as you suggested specific to country?
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 12:21 AM

> Ultimately, as the holder of the vehicle, the rental company is liable for the fine

I know this is tagged Czech Republic, but in Germany e.g. this is not the case. For parking fines, yes. Others, no. The driver is liable for speeding fines, and as far as I know this is the same in Czech Republic.
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 02:46 AM

Seems a standard clause to me.