Search

Budget accomodation in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget accomodation in Rome

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some budget hotel options in Rome? Less than 100 euros a night?

I have found a few places but the reviews do not seem that good so if anyone has any personal recommendations that would be great!

I have found a few places that are a few miles out the centre and they seem nice - is it easy to use public transport to get to and from rome?

Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:31 PM

Hotel Julia - Just stayed there in July and planning to go back again in November. Five minute walk to Trevi Fountain. I'm in process of writing a trip report and will include full review of hotel there. Click on my name and it should come up.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:04 PM

The public transport out of the city centre is adequate, but it can be slow. Have you considered a monastery? We stayed in one in 2008 and it was great. There is a website called www.monasterystays.com where you can book accommodation. You don't have to have any particular religious beliefs. Some have a curfew so keep that in mind if you like to stay out late. We paid about 80 euros for a very spacious, clean room with an ensuite bathroom. The rate also included a basic breakfast.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM

How long will you be there? There are several apartments I've found that are under 100E/night. But most require a 3 day stay or more.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Good gracious - there is no reason to stay a few miles out. Here are a few options in the center - all WELL under 100E:

http://www.trasteverehouse.it/

http://www.martaguesthouse.com/

http://www.hotelmimosa.net/

http://www.hotel-perugia.romaviva.com/home.htm

http://www.rosettahotel.com/

http://www.hotelpaba.com/

http://www.foresteriaorsa.altervista.org/ (women only)
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Apartments can be a great value. If you can't or won't say in one, try Hotel Des Artistes, which is not far from Termini. A friend stayed there with his teenaged daughter and thought it was nice, and did not find the neighborhood a problem. ( some people worry about the area around the station.)
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 02:44 AM

I agree it makes sense to check apartments if you are staying at least 3 nights. realrome.com has some very affordable ones and we had good luck dealing with this agency
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your help!

I have looked at a couple of apartments with sleep italy.

How do you go about getting in when you arrive? I don't speak Italian, would i struggle?

Also, are there any additional costs once you get there?

Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 07:28 AM

I have not rented an apt in Rome, but I have in Paris, and I have friends who have in Rome. Usually you have to pay half the total cost ahead of time (usually via paypal, unless you happen to have a European bank account). Then they want the remainder when you get the keys, usually in cash, and including a security deposit. Sometimes there is a cleaning fee but that is usually made pretty clear on the rental agreement. Most of the time the agent speaks enough English to show you around the apartment.

But you asked for budget - under 100€ a night. My experience is that you rarely find a decent apt for that amount. If you tend to stay in expensive hotels - in the over 150€ a night range, then often an apartment will cost the same or a bit less. But I haven't seen any apartments, in the heart of the major European cities within walking distance to most sites that you can get for 70-80€ a night double inducing breakfast.

I think apartments are a good deal if you have 3 or more people staying together, if you really intend to cook several meals, and are staying a week or so and want the "feel of a local". Wih hotels there is less hassle financially (everything can be done by credit card, rarely a deposit needed and if there is it goes on the card), you have desk clerks who can answer questions, etc. When you arrive you just check in, or if you are too early you leave your bags. With an apartment you need an appointment with someone to let you in/give you the keys so you need to be able to call them if you are going to be late, and if you get there early you are stuck waiting around. It's not a huge deal, lots of people love apartment stays, but I think it's not worth the trouble for a week or less.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Do look at www.realrome.com. They have many central apartments for 100 Euro or less, and Tim Pearson is a pleasure to deal with. The deposit is 25% of the total rent, and the terms and conditions are clearly outlined:
http://www.realrome.com/proptandc.html
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM

When are you going? Many rates in off season go down dramatically. When I travel just with one of the kids I have used www.eurocheapo.com with some success.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 10:25 AM

The way you get in to an apartment is by appointment. You tell them approximately when you will arrive -- usually it has to be after 4 pm -- and there will be someone there to meet you, take your payment, let you in and show you around. We have had very little problem about language.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM

Hi there
It took me a while to find this hotel but I am booked for september at Angelica Guesthouse in via dei Mille, it is close to Roma Termini, the central rail station. I am not fazed with it being a few streets form the train station as I have been there before. This guest house has very good reviews and best to book on a hostel website. However it is definitely not a hostel but the hostel websites also list guest houses a lot. You need to google search for guest houses as opposed to hotels to find the budget deals. If you look on viator.com they have shuttle bus services listed that will take you from the airport directly to the hotel and at a very good price. Have a nice time in Rome.